News Nvidia Rewarms RTX 2060, GTX 1050 Ti Amidst GPU Shortage

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Nvidia: Why try to stop cryptominers and scalpers when it's easier to just downgrade gamers?

Thanks, Nvidia. PC gamers everywhere sure appreciate being stuck in the past. /s

Jesse_20

Distinguished
GDRR-6 modules ARE in shortage actually, among many other things related to GPU/CPU manufacturing. It's not just the FABS that are at a premium, it's the components that go into them to make the cards/chips that are shorting out now.
Only good news I see here is I may be able to sell my used 2060 for more than I bought it for if I can score a 3000 series soon.

Reactions: Why_Me

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So just a RTX2060? Not even a RTX 2060 Super? Is the extra 2GB of DDR 6 going to really make or break it? Or is it the higher CUDA core die that's the issue I wonder. Either way if we are going to put some items back into production, why not just drop one revision back instead of this?

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Its great to see nvidia cashing in hard on anything they sell. $2500 for the cheapest 3090? Yes please! A 3080 cost almost as must as the MRSP of a 3090! Hell yes!

God damn crypto crap, hope it crashes and burns all those "easy money" numb nuts.

Reactions: Why_Me

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
So just a RTX2060? Not even a RTX 2060 Super? Is the extra 2GB of DDR 6 going to really make or break it? Or is it the higher CUDA core die that's the issue I wonder. Either way if we are going to put some items back into production, why not just drop one revision back instead of this?

You missed the best part : the 2060 currently goes for 700$-1200$, thats at minimum almost a 3080 and at most half-way to a 3090.
DON'T BUY ANYTHING AT THESE PRICES, ITS INSANE

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, let's all buy one of these cards and start mining on it...
¯\(ツ)

If enough of us do it, it'll make mining less profitable.
That just got me thinking: The whole crypto thing is just another Ponzi Scheme, isn't it?
The ones who jumped on early are the ones who benefit the most. But as more and more people adopt it, the value tanks, and if adoption spreads enough, then the darn coins won't be worth jack-all.

They weren't meant to be widely adopted...

The ones who jumped on early are the ones who benefit the most. But as more and more people adopt it, the value tanks, and if adoption spreads enough, then the darn coins won't be worth jack-all.
That would be nice if crypto had a theoretically infinite amount of currency to pass around, but most systems have a hard limit.

Plus the way to devalue a currency hard is to convince people to lose confidence in it. It's only valuable because people think it's valuable.

Reactions: SSGBryan

hallby81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
GDRR-6 modules ARE in shortage actually, among many other things related to GPU/CPU manufacturing. It's not just the FABS that are at a premium, it's the components that go into them to make the cards/chips that are shorting out now.
Only good news I see here is I may be able to sell my used 2060 for more than I bought it for if I can score a 3000 series soon.
Honestly, I would probably just sit on it for now. 3000 series cards are practically unobtanium. And I thought I saw somewhere that even the big OEM's are struggling to acquire the cards. I have a 1060 and it plays everything I want for the time being, so I'm definitely going to sit tight for the foreseeable future.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
People buy a product because it is good for whatever they wish to use it for.
It taker a lot of audacity to claim your use of gaming is better than another's use for mining cypto currency.
That nonsense is called situational ethics, and no matter what, only a fool applies theirs to another and assumes they are right.
That is like getting mad at someone who buys a Lambo and never leaves the city limits. To each their own.

Reactions: SSGBryan

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That would be nice if crypto had a theoretically infinite amount of currency to pass around, but most systems have a hard limit.

Plus the way to devalue a currency hard is to convince people to lose confidence in it. It's only valuable because people think it's valuable.
I was off the mark, huh?

Is that really all there is to it? Dang...

randallt3mp

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
It taker a lot of audacity to claim your use of gaming is better than another's use for mining cypto currency.
That nonsense is called situational ethics, and no matter what, only a fool applies theirs to another and assumes they are right.
That is like getting mad at someone who buys a Lambo and never leaves the city limits. To each their own.

Lol scummy miner trying hopelessly trying to defend his lack of ethics.

Did it have to be the 1050 Ti? Performance-wise, that card was a bit mediocre even when it came out over four years ago. Even in late 2016, it was already possible to get an RX 480 with over 50% more performance for just a little more. Aside from low power draw that allowed it to be paired with low-end PSUs, it didn't really have much going for it. At least until the previous crypto-fad hit, and the card was weak enough to where it managed to get by with relatively modest price hikes that didn't put it much over $200, making it one of the only cards available within a mainstream gamer's budget for quite a while. That's probably much of the reason it still has a fairly large install base.

But at this point, it's doesn't make for a very good option when faster low-power cards, like the 1650 and 1650 SUPER have been out since 2019. Those are built on a similar process node and sold at a similar price point, so there isn't much point in making 1050 Tis at this point, aside from getting rid of old GDDR5 chips. Though as was mentioned, 1650s can use GDDR5 as well. A 1650 tends to be around 25-35% faster depending on the version, and a 1650 SUPER more like 75% faster than a 1050 Ti, so that card should be more or less obsolete as far as new hardware sales go. And of course, it's over four years later now, and new games have become more demanding, which will only become more of an issue as they start targeting the new consoles. The 1050 Ti couldn't even reliably push 1080p60 at high settings in many AAA releases back in 2016, let alone now.

Zarax

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
AMD should respond with restarting Radeon RX 590 production.
It still is a suprisingly serviceable 1080p card and slightly better than a GTX 1060.

Normally that would be the case, but when you see a single persone buys 50-70 cards and you want just one but cant find one is not ethical anymore.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Lol scummy miner trying hopelessly trying to defend his lack of ethics.

That is hilarious, and confirms what I said.

If I did have the scratch to populate a mining rig with 3080s or any other commonly used cards I probably would be off doing something else. I don't think my platform would do very well mining, it would likely go up in smoke before making me any money.

InvalidError

Titan
Nvidia: Why try to stop cryptominers and scalpers when it's easier to just downgrade gamers?
Nvidia does not control the retail market, it merely designs the GPU dies and gets them shipped to AIBs. The retail situation is mostly out of Nvidia's hands.

It is practically impossible to stop miners and scalpers. Whenever you block one path for them to acquire GPUs, they'll find a dozen ways to get around roadblocks and that is assuming people running large crypto-mining operations aren't buying GPUs in bulk straight from manufacturers or their distributors.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why a 1050 when a 1650 uses DDR5?
They'd moved on to DDR6 for the 1650, which made a notable improvement in performance.

I don't know if that means they discontinued the DDR5 version or not - I also couldn't say exactly how easy/difficult it is to start making them again. I do know that the DDR6 version of the card featured slightly lower clocks (about 5% lower). Not sure if that plays much into the equation or not, though it seems VERY unlikely that they had trouble with that extra 5% for the DDR5 version.