News Nvidia RTX 30-Series GPU Availability to Worsen in Q1: Report

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 8, 2021
Nvidia is having trouble sourcing the resources for its RTX 3000 cards, which will lead to terrible Q1 availability.

Nvidia RTX 30-Series GPU Availability to Worsen in Q1: Report : Read more
Done me a favor really, I was going to grab one of these but the shortage has given me time to pull my head in and reassess my actual GPU needs. Turns out my three year old 1080ti is still more than good enough for my humble needs . Shiny surfaces werent worth $2000 upgrading last gen so why bother with $3000 this gen either? Just think about all the other stuff I could get for 3K! And to a lot of people these will be paperweights when the 40 series comes out in what? 18 months? What I want and what I need are very different things. My wife will be happy too.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
American corporate culture would prefer people not take any time off or enjoy holidays. They prefer you be working as much as possible. This is why Nvidia will focus on the holiday first before bringing up any supply chain or logistics issues.

While I do agree with you, CNY does result in a fairly significant amount of down time. Around minimum two weeks to max one month. It is a factor, as it is every year, for production of many items nowadays. Normally you wouldn't really notice since retailers tend to stockpile in anticipation of it. But when you've got nothing to stockpile, you're out of luck.

Reactions: bigdragon

Jim90

Distinguished
"Nvidia is having trouble sourcing the resources for its RTX 3000 cards, which will lead to terrible Q1 availability"

--> Yet they have no issue selling direct to miners!
--> Doesn't help that places like Tom's have articles on optimizing GPU's for mining activity, actions not lost on your readership!

Reactions: Gurg
Feb 9, 2021
Chinese New Year is a big holiday in China and we know China is responsible for producing almost everything we use, not just GPU. Why didn't we have a massive shortage of everything else?

Just admit it already Nvidia. You messed up big time by doing absolutely nothing to stop scalpers from grabbing GPUs from people who need them. Your customers aren't stupid.

Its not just the new cards, people are pretty desperate to get ANY cards right now. RX 5700's are selling used for around $800, double MSRP, Microcenter near me DID have five RX 6800's in stock, for $1075 apiece... Used RX 5600's are in the $600 area, RX Vega 64's are looking like a "good" deal around the $400 mark, its crazy honestly. We havent even gotten into the "parts only" prices with damaged stuff priced like below, all of this is kind of nuts.

It utter madness. Even used card prices jumped up twice and more. Here where I live used RX480 4 GB price leaped from 60$ to 140$ during last month and RX 580 8 GB - from 120$ to almost 300$. We wanted to build a new cheap system for a friend but now seems we should wait for better times :(

Prices are reaching Japan's MSRP world wide. Sometimes cards are actually cheaper here than back in the states, it's pretty wild. I'm thinking of selling my RTX 3080 because I could use the funds somewhere else, but it would be hard to replace it anytime in the near future.

That is if you will sell that 3080 now. When next GPU generation will come. 30xx series may drop back to original prices quite fast.

I didn't buy my 3060ti to mine, but man I'm going to have to start doing it when I'm not using it. It'll pay for itself in 2-3 months. I paid $450 for it and the profit calculator for ethereum says it'll make me about $200/mo after $18 for electricity. I'll have a full ethereum crypto coin in about 10 months worth $1700, this is crazy!!!!

One thing what they wrote on wall. With cryptocurrency price fluctuation you will also may become dirt poor overnight. With government dogs breathing in your neck if countries worldwide will start to ban cryptomining (in China it will end with public execution in stadium).

Madkog

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Might as well pretend they don't exist.

This will start ruining the gaming industry, if they start building games to vapourware.

haamiah

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Trump legacy...we are all at Chinese mercy, he started the electronic war and now we´ll loose our buying power cause they dont sell cheap components anymore...hope Biden Admin will correct that.

Reactions: artk2219
Trump legacy...we are all at Chinese mercy, he started the electronic war and now we´ll loose our buying power cause they dont sell cheap components anymore...hope Biden Admin will correct that.

Nothing to do with Trump at this time. He didn't caused nor Covid (I can doubt about Chinese innocence here) nor overexaggerated GPU demand at Fall of last year. Can't fix stupid.

Feb 8, 2021

Except the chips that are in short supply aren't made in China. Take your trolling elsewhere.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Done me a favor really, I was going to grab one of these but the shortage has given me time to pull my head in and reassess my actual GPU needs. Turns out my three year old 1080ti is still more than good enough for my humble needs . Shiny surfaces werent worth $2000 upgrading last gen so why bother with $3000 this gen either? Just think about all the other stuff I could get for 3K! And to a lot of people these will be paperweights when the 40 series comes out in what? 18 months? What I want and what I need are very different things. My wife will be happy too.
But that sounds a lot like sour grapes because you can't get a hold of one right now at MSRP so you try and justify it by saying the 4000 series will make the 3000 series a paperweight. Here's the real problem. It's not only a supply and demand issue but rare earth mining issues. There are according to reports that Chinese mfg's are having difficulty having the necessary materials to build the required supply mfg's need. You think this is just an Nvidia problem? Guess again because Microsoft can't build the Xbox Series X consoles fast enough. Sony can't build Playstation 5's fast enough. The same goes for other electronic mfg's even the Almighty Apple has had to deal with supply constraints.

This is what happens when you shutdown the global economy and break supply chains. So if you think next year will be easier finding a 4000 series GPU from Nvidia, you just might be disappointed. You will possibly be dealing with even higher MSRP's and that's before the scalpers and Bots get to those supplies.

Thretosix

Honorable
Apr 27, 2017
Nvidia and AMD have both by limited supply is leading me to other hobbies. Until they get their crap together they are hurting the gaming industry. They may as well do presentations of RTX cards promoting their cryptomining capabilities, and scalper profit benefits.

You'll likely have to buy it from someone who bought a 4000 series used when they stop the nonexistent production of the 3000's.

May happen. Nvidia already removed 2000 model line from market (released a small amount of 2060s later when 3000 delivery went completely bad). I don't see why they wouldn't repeat this stunt when 4000 model line will be released.

Nvidia and AMD have both by limited supply is leading me to other hobbies. Until they get their crap together they are hurting the gaming industry. They may as well do presentations of RTX cards promoting their cryptomining capabilities, and scalper profit benefits.

Unfortunately this and also delivery mayhem botched my other hobby (RC/drone racing).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You get it wrong... when 4000 series is released you can not get 4000 series nor 3000 series!
This person gets it.

Sadly, due to so many people having given in and supported scalping, the 4000 series - and other such products - won't be any less vulnerable, so good luck to those choosing to wait it out.
They made bank this time around.
You'll have higher odds of buying from scalpers again later - even more so if supply of electronic devices continues to be unable to keep up with demand, which has been at an all time high thanks to Covid.
Congrats to those who's patience ran out: You 'got it now' by screwing yourselves and others with future product purchases.

As an extra whammy, if crypto is still trending upward at the time of the 4000 launch, you can bet miners will be on top of that gold too.

Feb 8, 2021
You get it wrong... when 4000 series is released you can not get 4000 series nor 3000 series!
But there is a difference for me between want and need. It's kinda like all those people lining up for the latest I-phone, and blogging it on their old and perfectly good I-phones while they wait.
So if we want 3000 series cards, we need to wait until they announce 4000 series. Got it.
That's what I'm thinking! Prices will cool off, supply sorted, B,C or D series chips so overclocking might be better? Personally, I can wait, kind of justifies why I waited and paid top dollar for the 1080ti in the first place really. y'all can take my place in the queue.

Reactions: Krotow
Feb 10, 2021
this is why i got a 1080 ti used even though 30 series launched. Yes, the 3070 is a lot better and barely more expensive, but impossible to get.

Feb 8, 2021
But that sounds a lot like sour grapes because you can't get a hold of one right now at MSRP so you try and justify it by saying the 4000 series will make the 3000 series a paperweight. Here's the real problem.

This is what happens when you shutdown the global economy and break supply chains. So if you think next year will be easier finding a 4000 series GPU from Nvidia, you just might be disappointed. You will possibly be dealing with even higher MSRP's and that's before the scalpers and Bots get to those supplies.

Maybe a bit of sour grapes at first, but now I'm good! 3000 aud in my pocket makes the grapes that much sweeter.

I was about to spring for a 3090, but the delay gave me time to cool off and appreciate that what I have is still pretty kick ass for what I am into. I'm sitting this gen out because looking at benchmarks, I'd have to crank settings to the max to create a barely discernible real world difference. The odd bit of gaming I do just isn't worth it. No point getting a porche to do the grocery shopping.

Not so much sour grapes but pretty high on the patronizing git-o-meter!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTj4naIdAs

Last edited:
Reactions: Kridian