News Nvidia RTX 3050 Refresh Sports New Chip with Lower TDP

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
after the supposed $250 launch price that never happened, this feels like it's being done solely to increase profit margins as nvidia wont pass on the cost reduction of manufacture between GA106 and GA107 on to consumers. people need to stop supporting jensens leather jacket fetish with these predatory pricing models on gpus.

Wait a dang minute... The OEM RTX 3050 is different from the DYI/AIB 3050???

Why no one reported on that? Sure, the difference is very minuscule, but do not forget the mess Dell got itself into with the RTX3070 and the disabled CUDA cores via firmware/vBIOS, but nVidia has been selling, under the same name, two different specc'ed cards for OEMs and then consumers.

Why the hell do they always get a friggen' pass?

Regards.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Welp, I guess I'll never look at nvidia's model numbers ever again?

Just check the cuda cores, rt cores and clocks, and since that produces a thousand variants that may or may not perform in an expected manner, get the AMD upper midrange card and call it even?

Or has AMD been releasing cards with wildly varying specifications and performance too, and I missed that?

InvalidError

Titan
Just check the cuda cores, rt cores and clocks, and since that produces a thousand variants that may or may not perform in an expected manner, get the AMD upper midrange card and call it even?
The GA106 and GA107 RTX3050 have exactly the same amount of hardware enabled, performance should be very close to identical. I think the GA107 version is the one Nvidia really meant to launch and the GA106 was just a bench warmer to pad an otherwise abandoned market segment.

Reactions: ravewulf

artk2219

Distinguished
Thats is some crap that the OEM RTX 3050 is lower spec'd and no one has brought that up. I cant yell at just Nvidia for that as I remember AMD in recent histroy having two versions of the RX 580 (One of which is basically an upclocked RX 570) and RX 560 (896 and 1024 stream processor versions). Regardless, its a bad practice and we really should call them out more often when they do this crap.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Why no one reported on that?
Thats is some crap that the OEM RTX 3050 is lower spec'd and no one has brought that up.
I'm not sure why you think that no one has reported on that/brought that up, Tom's Hardware's own reporting is linked in this article and it was reported elsewhere as well, I remember reading about it on videocardz, for instance. The interesting thing is that no one ever mentioned this OEM model again afterwards, it's been almost half a year since then, once these weird GPUs (GTX 1060 5GB anyone?) used to end up in internet cafes in Asia, but I'm not really sure if they're still relevant enough nowadays.

Reactions: artk2219 and King_V

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
It's quite funny people miss the "OEM" mentioned. Meaning this is nothing new and people are not thinking what that means.
Why are people now upset at this? This is not the first time an OEM product has lesser specs or performs worse.
If it specs as a RTX3050 OEM version then it is different.
People need to read descriptions and specs. They do it when buying TVs, cars, phones and many other things. Stop using ignorance as an excuse, people.

Reactions: artk2219

InvalidError

Titan
People need to read descriptions and specs. They do it when buying TVs, cars, phones and many other things.
Are you sure? I bet the bulk of people pick TVs by brand and window-shopping impression. Most phones being sold are probably whatever is "free" with two/three-years contracts unless it is a flagship phone where you are paying grossly inflated prices for brand as the main spec. If people were rational about phones, many off-brand devices are comparable to premium brands costing 3-5X as much.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
I suppose a lower TDP is better, but the 3050 is such a bad value card that I'm not sure this really makes it more appealing. I guess it's better for those people who will buy one but anyone sane should buy something else.

InvalidError

Titan
I suppose a lower TDP is better, but the 3050 is such a bad value card that I'm not sure this really makes it more appealing. I guess it's better for those people who will buy one but anyone sane should buy something else.
The RTX3050 needs to be $200 to be remotely palatable for sane people when the RX6600 is 50+% faster at ~$220. The smaller die should reduce Nvidia's manufacturing costs by ~$15, hope some of it trickles down to the new SKUs' MSRPs.

Based on how the 3050 is up 0.41%, biggest increase excluding "(laptop)" entries, it seems the 3050 is selling at least somewhat well at its current still inflated ~$270 street price. Looks like budget shoppers dead-set on owning something Nvidia-branded have started caving in.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think the elephant in the room is price. While the cost of producing a smaller chip is lower, but the price of the RTX 3050 still don't make a lot of sense in today's context. Especially when you have RX 6600 that outperforms it consistently, while also consistently cheaper. And please don't try and argue on RT performance because you can try and enable RT on such cards and see if you can run the game smoothly @ 1080p. DLSS is there, but you probably need to forgo a lot of visual quality by using the performance/ ultra performance mode rather than quality or balanced mode.

Reactions: King_V and Ar558