[SOLVED] Nvidia RTX 3060 always overclocking, even without using it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2021
Most of the times, I don't use the discrete GPU of my laptop (Asus ROG Strix G15). In the Armory Crate software it's clearly visible that I use 0% of the GPU when using Word or Chrome, for example. However, the frequency of my GPU is still way above the base clock: it is even on the "ROG Boost O.C." mode kinda by default - even when I'm just typing in Word or browsing on the internet. I also haven't even enabled the Turbo or Performance mode; in Silence this problem is also there. Why is my GPU always on this ROG Boost O.C. mode?

Solution
GPU hardware acceleration can be used for all kinds of things. I suspect some background program, probably from ASUS, that is the cause.

Not sure I would trust the Armory Crate software to be accurate either. Try another tool like Hardware Monitor, or just the task manager to monitor GPU usage.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GPU hardware acceleration can be used for all kinds of things. I suspect some background program, probably from ASUS, that is the cause.

Not sure I would trust the Armory Crate software to be accurate either. Try another tool like Hardware Monitor, or just the task manager to monitor GPU usage.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Most of the times, I don't use the discrete GPU of my laptop (Asus ROG Strix G15). In the Armory Crate software it's clearly visible that I use 0% of the GPU when using Word or Chrome, for example. However, the frequency of my GPU is still way above the base clock: it is even on the "ROG Boost O.C." mode kinda by default - even when I'm just typing in Word or browsing on the internet. I also haven't even enabled the Turbo or Performance mode; in Silence this problem is also there. Why is my GPU always on this ROG Boost O.C. mode?
Are you using more than one display from the GPU? I've seen where clocks will tend to be high with more than one display.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Open Task Manager and figure out what's using the RTX 3060.

But my money is on Armory Crate pinging it and keeping it in a high power state for some reason.

Are you using more than one display from the GPU? I've seen where clocks will tend to be high with more than one display.
This is usually a problem if the displays have uneven refresh rates. I notice whenever one monitor is at 144Hz and the other is 60Hz, the GPU never idles. But I turn the faster one down to 120Hz, then it idles.

"This is usually a problem if the displays have uneven refresh rates. I notice whenever one monitor is at 144Hz and the other is 60Hz, the GPU never idles. But I turn the faster one down to 120Hz, then it idles. "

Nice to know.
I've not paid attention.
Next time I will.

R&B

Oct 20, 2021
Hey wonder if you have found a solution or an explanation to this? I have the same findings as you. I always use my laptop in Silent mode while doing light work like browsing, youtubing or MS office, but I found that when iGPU in Armory Crate is set to either OFF or AUTO, the GPU frequency is alternating between Power Saving mode and ROG Boost O.C mode every few seconds. This caused my CPU temps to idle high. I say this because, once I switch the iGPU from AUTO or OFF to ON, forcing the laptop to use the integrated AMD graphics, the alternation between power saving and OC stopped. The GPU stats then remain at Extreme Power Saving; and the CPU temp starts to drop to normal (45 to 50degC). When iGPU mode is ON, the laptop does not detect the dGPU anymore. But have you found out why yours is always on O.C?

Jun 12, 2021
Hey wonder if you have found a solution or an explanation to this? I have the same findings as you. I always use my laptop in Silent mode while doing light work like browsing, youtubing or MS office, but I found that when iGPU in Armory Crate is set to either OFF or AUTO, the GPU frequency is alternating between Power Saving mode and ROG Boost O.C mode every few seconds. This caused my CPU temps to idle high. I say this because, once I switch the iGPU from AUTO or OFF to ON, forcing the laptop to use the integrated AMD graphics, the alternation between power saving and OC stopped. The GPU stats then remain at Extreme Power Saving; and the CPU temp starts to drop to normal (45 to 50degC). When iGPU mode is ON, the laptop does not detect the dGPU anymore. But have you found out why yours is always on O.C?

Hey!
I returned my laptop for a repair last summer because it had some other problems as well. After the repair (the only thing they did was resetting the whole laptop without a backup) everything works fine. However, every now and then it does switch to Boost OC without a reason, but not as frequently as before. This is only happening when my laptop is plugged in to the AC adapter and/or connected to my monitor. On the go at school it works just like it should.
I suggest that you back up your system (Cloud or an external drive?) and then reset the whole thing. Hopefully it helps!

R&B

Oct 20, 2021
Hey!
I returned my laptop for a repair last summer because it had some other problems as well. After the repair (the only thing they did was resetting the whole laptop without a backup) everything works fine. However, every now and then it does switch to Boost OC without a reason, but not as frequently as before. This is only happening when my laptop is plugged in to the AC adapter and/or connected to my monitor. On the go at school it works just like it should.
I suggest that you back up your system (Cloud or an external drive?) and then reset the whole thing. Hopefully it helps!
Thanks for the reply! One more thing. What is your CPU frequency when youre idling?

Jun 12, 2021
At 1% CPU usage (I don't know if that's the same as idle?) the frequency varies between 2900 and 3050 MHZ, according to Armory Crate. It runs at 38 °C. This is all when using the Silent Mode.
Is it the same for you?

R&B

Oct 20, 2021
At 1% CPU usage (I don't know if that's the same as idle?) the frequency varies between 2900 and 3050 MHZ, according to Armory Crate. It runs at 38 °C. This is all when using the Silent Mode.
Is it the same for you?
That's same as mine- around 2800MHz to 3200MHz. I would think that's idle. My CPU usage was also varying between 2% to 7%. I was wondering why the CPU operates at this base clock speed (3.3Ghz). Shouldn't it be running lower than base clock speed when idling?

But I kept seeing GPU frequency boosting; maybe not all the time to O.C but it is shown to be boosting every few seconds. And that definitely caused the CPU temp to rise. For now, I have my iGPU set to ON by default. When I want to game, I will switch it to AUTO or OFF. But I read somewhere that whenever iGPU is switched, you need to restart. Not sure how true.

Status
Not open for further replies.