News Nvidia RTX 3060 Pricing Skyrockets Before Launch

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Add another couple hundred to that in the reseller market, as that will be where most cards turn up.
There will be plenty of foolish people willing to spend that too, which is the real issue.
I am tempted to pull out my gpu and sell it in this crazy market, but I don't see any break in this storm for 2021 and the current(?) gpus will be old by then.
Remarkable.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I predict we're going to see stories about how there are few to no 3060s available on launch day at MSRP or the elevated MSRPs. Then we'll see stories about how many of them are on Ebay and StockX and Amazon third party marketplace. Next, Nvidia will be breached and the 3060 firmware and driver source leaked.

There is a silver lining to all this. Maybe game developers will spend more effort on the non-graphical parts of their games. AI could certainly use more attention.

57Stew

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
I hope these miners all had variable rate pricing with their power company and end up with 10k electric bills. I met a few that have the audacity to claim to be environmental conservationists while supporting a system that rewards you for wasting electricity.

Reactions: Krotow and SSGBryan

RemmRun

Reputable
Feb 12, 2021
Mining is a plus money operation. There would be no point to it if it cost more in electricity than gained from mining. Like any business operation, one has to cover the overhead.

That is101 stuff.

Sounds like anti-mining angst, which is misplaced and inane.
I'd say it's the promise of money that is the big draw, plenty of gold miners lost everything back in the day of mining for real gold, just for the lure of getting rich. Plenty of business 101 was thrown out the window, and few cared.

Co BIY

Splendid
Won't effect me as I'm a "value" (read as : cheaper than an Scotsman in hard times) purchaser and can't be sold for anything more a discount on original MSRP.

My next card could end up being an intel card.

Actually I wonder if that could end up being true for many people.

Good article material might be "How much does better does integrated graphics need to get before it demolishes entry level graphics cards." Could that level realistically get placed on a current die size?"

Reactions: phenomiix6

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Mining is a plus money operation. There would be no point to it if it cost more in electricity than gained from mining. Like any business operation, one has to cover the overhead.

That is101 stuff.

Sounds like anti-mining angst, which is misplaced and inane.

You over estimate the intelligence of the average miner. Most of those fools are "hodls". Sellers will make money, buyers will make money and smart miners that sell will make money. hodls... They will lose money for sure, but good luck convincing them of that, a lot of these hodls are the buyers of these GPUs and they have zero business sense. A lot of these same hodl fools bought bitcoin at 19k in 2017 and sold it for 4k in 2019.

D

Deleted member 2838871

You over estimate the intelligence of the average miner. Most of those fools are "hodls". Sellers will make money, buyers will make money and smart miners that sell will make money. hodls... They will lose money for sure, but good luck convincing them of that, a lot of these hodls are the buyers of these GPUs and they have zero business sense. A lot of these same hodl fools bought bitcoin at 19k in 2017 and sold it for 4k in 2019.

It's cool to be a miner I hear... that's gotta be worth at least losing a few dollars.

Personally I'll take my chances with the stock market. (I did quite well in 2020 thanks to the COVID crashes and subsequent rebounds. Made thousands in both cruiseline and airline stocks and didn't have to run my GPU 24/7 to do it)

Anyway... put my build together in December (at retail price) so hopefully when I'm looking to build a PC again in 2026 or so mining will no longer be the flavor of the month. Good luck to those trying to buy parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I knew this would happen when I read that Nvidia were skipping 3060 Founders Edition.

In case anyone out there still doesn't know, the FE's are the only models still being sold at MSRP.
Problem is, there's only ONE official retailer: When Nvidia gave up selling cards from their own online store, they 'passed the buck' to Best Buy.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
If nVidia and AMD would sell their reference cards direct at MSRP much of the price gouging would cease. AMD is doing that at the AMD store--but unfortunately stocks are so low that I've been trying since day 1 of the official 6800XT availability and to this date still have not been able to buy one there, even trying 3-5 times a day.

paesan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I was trying to get a 3080 since they were released. A couple of weeks ago I finally gave up and will stick with my 1080. At the original MSRP the cards were expensive, now a 3080 is selling at double the price, a 3090 card is selling for over $2500. Are people really that desperate for a video card to spend $1500+ for a 3080 and $2500+ for a 3090.

InvalidError

Titan
Won't effect me as I'm a "value" (read as : cheaper than an Scotsman in hard times) purchaser and can't be sold for anything more a discount on original MSRP.

My next card could end up being an intel card.

Actually I wonder if that could end up being true for many people.
I was hoping I'd be upgrading my GTX1050 this year but prices being what they are and unlikely to come back down in the foreseeable future, I am crossing my fingers that Intel will launch something decent with good drivers and street pricing "helped" by the fact that Intel has disappointed many times before and needs to rebuild its gaming credential almost from scratch.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
High prices at launch should not come as a surprise. Gimping mining on this card is not going to solve the supply issue because supply is fixed. For example, they produce 100,000 units each day. Don't forget they are using the same chip for mining cards, so you could get an allocation of 20/80 with 80% going to more profitable mining cards. Nowhere did Nvidia said they will allocate equal number of cards to their gaming and mining cards. They created the mining card series because they don't want their AIB partners to earn all the profit.

InvalidError

Titan
Nowhere did Nvidia said they will allocate equal number of cards to their gaming and mining cards.
Nvidia's statement claims that GPU dies used in mining cards are chips that fail to meet the consumer GPU specs so, in principle, those mining GPUs aren't taking anything away from the consumer GPU space since they come out of the 30% or so rejects that would have been scrapped otherwise.

TBH if this trend stays for too long...you may end up seeing ppl ditch pc for console as the cheapest gpu will be more expensive than a console +game...

pc gaming isnt for the poor anymore thats for sure.
The new consoles are also in short supply and selling for far above their MSRPs on sites like eBay currently. The PS5 is over $800, and the Series X not far behind.

Last edited:

tproveau

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I bought an entry level Gaming laptop with an Nvidia GTX 1650 and Ryzen 7, 3750 CPU December 2019. It cost 635 US dollars with a 512gb NVME ssd, 15.4 FDH screen, backlit keyboard, Win 10, etc.
I play games on it just fine, over 150 games on steam and epic etc. It's not the best obviously, no RTX etc. but it's always played great whichever game I have run on it. My background is that have been desktop computer building as a part time business and gaming since 1995, and my son is a gaming programmer for a local studio with games on Steam, Xbox, PlayStation 4 and N. Switch. So I try and keep up on all this, although I stopped the business a few years back.
I just don't get this obsession with having the newest, fastest etc. card right away, at any price, which does help drive all the scalping of graphics cards, as well as the mining of course. Newest consoles the same I guess. The global pandemic has contributed a lot to not getting all the manufacturing up to speed as well.
Guess I am getting old and patient and don't mind waiting a bit. I do get how annoying it is though, especially if you are working on a major upgrade or new build and have to pay double for one component, that costs more than a new laptop or console.
Good luck out there everyone.

Reactions: Krotow
I wonder where is the limit. When they release 3050, will it experience the same fate, regardless of having only 4GB of memory? As far as I can see, miners are gladly using even 4GB cards. This is madness.