Nvidia Says GeForce GTX 1060 Will Outperform GTX 980, Founders Edition Will Cost $299

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This appears to bear out the comments I made in the RX480 thread. Without considering issues of availability (which could go either way), if the GTX1060 has generally 15% higher performance, and better overclocking potential, and better power efficiency, for a similar price (i.e. +/- $10), then the RX480 is essentially irrelevant.
Of course it needs the same detailed power testing the RX480 got, but right now this card looks like it will be, when available, a great deal.

You kinda missed the news. Partners will not sell this FE 1060. It will only be available directly from Nvidia. Partners will be launching their own custom cards.
Your reference card is kinda the lowest RX 480 will ever go. the solutions from partners will be at least that expensive unless AMD will lower the price for the GPU. we will definitely see 1060 below 300 at launch and around 250 couple weeks later. About the performance, so far nvidia stood for their claim about pascal cards performance compared to their older parts. 1080 is faster than titan, 1070 is kinda faster than 980ti. So I do belive that 1060 will be at least 980 performance at stock clocks. That's kinda better performance than 480.

Marius Cirsta

Reputable
May 6, 2014
OK great so they're launching what ? Not only can you not buy it but also there are now reviews ...
This isn't even what I'd call a paper launch where at least they should have some reviews for it ... this is a virtual launch and it's all promises made by nVidia on how the card will perform.
I won't take their word for it, let's just wait for some reviews and then see.
Anyway I'm getting an AMD myself because of their open source Linux support.

Fanboy detected ;)

Dude, the word LAUNCH was not used. It was an announcement.
Just like AMD did a month ahead of the actual launch. With the same marketing BS.
I'm a linux user, and if you are practical user -Nvidia binary (who cares) drivers are way better than any type of AMD.
The open source GPU drivers are ... well, i do not have a polite word :) there is too much proprietary tech in video card to expect anything useful beyond browsing and watching videos.

Oranthal

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

No, no I didn't miss the news. So tell me this from a business perspective, why offer a inferior founders card at launch for $299 if there will be a plethora of cheaper partner boards that are probably better as well? The reason why is the supply of partner boards will likely be incredibly scarce. Like at all launches by Nvidia lately. The 480 is shipping in far greater volumes and still scarce so how long will it take to see supply and demand equilibrium? I frankly don't know and wont say a few weeks since I have no clue what either companies manufacturing capacity is, but for now its not enough. My card is by no means set to be the lowest ever, as MSRPs can change with one press release. You seemed to have missed the whole point. As for the performance you may be right but it will vary game by game etc, hence my wait for real reviews and real comparisons of reference and non reference designs. I hope the 1060 is killer and forces even cheaper 480s with partner boards. I want a real price war for once.

It's (mostly) a fanboys pocking thread.
And of course no one sane will buy anything before getting actual data from reliable source.

May be I should say that no one should buy RX 480 until we see the performance numbers and actual prices of 1060 ;)

3ogdy

Distinguished
AMD's RX480 is beaten by the GTX 970. AMD wants $240+ on its card. These guys want $300 for the Founders Edition and their product beats a card that in turn beats the excrement out of AMD's brand spanking new RX480, despite having been released in 2013 (GTX980)

The way I see it, AMD wants $240 trying to beat nVidia's 3.5GB GTX 970. They failed.
I'd rather spend $60 more for a jump over 2 famous cards from nVidia, and get the 1060, as long as it comes with properly configured memory that is 100% properly usable. Oh, and if history is of any use, this could be an indication nVidia might price the aftermarket cooled cards at $200-$250. The Founders Edition cards are $100 more expensive than the ones dumping heat in the case.

Not only AMD's products are disappointing, nVidia's lower-tier ones are even more interesting than the GTX1070 and GTX1080.

Rest in P*ss, Advanced Micro Devices. I'm sick of always being disappointed in your products.

JhonOX

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
So.. Why is the reference card more expensive? I dont get it... Looks like i made the right decision.. i just buy a Founder Edition RX480 8Gb for $230 :).

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
Please fix the article. "Nvidia didn’t say precisely when the GeForce GTX 1060 would be released, but it will be available this month." the next paragraph says "The GeForce GTX 1060 will be available from multiple retailers starting July 19."
So is that a real date, or a type-o?

Also, these are good cards, but I am not getting any of these. I will get the Ti versions when released.

That's really nice! For how powerful this card is, I'm pretty sure stock issues are going to be even worse than the GTX 1080.

However, as a quick tip for you people on a tight budget, when buying new cards like this, DO NOT get them on launch day. Wait a month or two until prices drop $20-$30. Plus add in holiday sales and you could possibly get the GTX 1060 for $210.

It looks like the custom sapphire RX480 nitro @1.325Ghz will also outperform the 980. It can break beyond the first batch because it sports an 8pin power connector. Coming at a price of only $249 could put Nvidia at a disadvantage. Overclocking this card shows a range upto 1.6Ghz to match AMD's own fury.

3ogdy

Distinguished

Because blower-based cards are better suited for SLI / CFX, throwing heat outside the case, instead of dumping it inside and leaving it to your case fans to take care of it, while also contributing to an increase in your other components' temperatures in the process.

Of course, aftermarket coolers allow vendors to "slightly" overclock the cards and provide better performance at lower temps - and since they'd be theoretically cheaper, the GTX1060 might prove really popular, especially in the light of a disappointing RX480 - which everyone was expecting to beat the GTX980 (what GTX 1060 is apparently achieving while AMD's card is beaten by nVidia's second-best card from 2013 - that was about 3 freaking years ago, AMD).

Unfortunately for AMD, nVidia sounds like it's on a roll with this generation, with little exceptions here and there - if anything, AMD might want to take advantage of nVidia's lack of SLI support on this card - which is strange, in my opinion, especially when AMD presented their product as : "2x our products beat nVidia's product..." - why nVidia would do that in a situation like this is beyond me - maybe they're afraid their GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 sales might take a hit?

Oranthal

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Meh I bought the card on a lark since my old card did not utilize Freesync but frankly it is loud as balls and makes me happy I can sell it at what I paid. Hold off if you can, I am selling mine for a partner board when I can and would consider a 1070 if it weren't for my freesync monitor.

How much reference GTX 970 have you seen ?
It's a show design that was used during the development and produced mostly for reviews and few people that for whatever reason will buy it.
I already explained earlier about production volumes.

JhonOX

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
3OGDY, but there is no SLI on 1060 so whats the point?, and is $70 dollars more expensive than the RX480 (For the reference models), Looks like the RX480 still have the price performance.

Marius Cirsta

Reputable
May 6, 2014

OK so maybe the word launch wasn't used but why didn't we get any reviews of the card if they're launching it so soon. Yes AMD announced their cards quite some time ago but I was expecting a launch from nVidia today. They announced the this card quite some time ago so today was what, I for one didn't get it.
I really disagree with you on the open source Linux drivers, they don't really offer the performance of the binary ones but they're getting rather good and since I don't do Linux gaming the open source ones are fine for me.
Call me a fanboy but I do appreciate AMD providing open source drivers for Linux rather then relying on others to do it like nVidia with Nouveau.
Maybe you're OK with the nVidia blobs but I'm not ( and I'm not the only one )

Nothing yet, unfortunately.

Nvidia not putting SLI on xx60 and xx50 GPUs is not new. It's really not that beneficial doing SLI with budget GPUs anyways. Plus I believe the reason why Nvidia did this is so that they wouldn't hurt GTX 1070 and 1080s sales.

Nvidia never announced this card till today. Leaks and rumors - that what you've read.
AMD's NDA was lifted on the product launch day. So no reviews were available before that. Only leaks and rumors.
As for the binary/open source drivers - I couldn't care less as a consumer. There are tons of proprietary tech that i'm not happy about, but it's up to owner to decide what to do with it. At least Nvidia do provide a decent support for their products. I'm long past Gentoo build. I want things just work today. A computer is a tool. And my interest in any platform is full usability. Once SteamOS will have enough titles, I'll go back to linux as my main OS.

Sorry for the confusion. Nvidia told us the release date shortly before the NDA lifted, in revision I neglected to fix that first sentence. The official launch date is July 19.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
My biggiest problem with the 10 series.... They seem to have fooled people into believing that they are jumping 2 tiers of performance in every card.

Yes, if you only look at the name, thats true, but once you look at the price, you realize that they have jumped the pricing on every card one tier. So in reality, the cards have only gone up 1 tier in performance on the new node, and they have changed the names of each tier. The 1060 is the cost of the old 970, the 1070, is the cost of the old 980, the 1080 is the cost of the old 980ti.

Once you take the accross the board price increases into account, you realize that the value of the 10 series really is not good enough for 2 process nodes better chips. I mean sure the cards arent slow, but man, i was just hoping for a lot more value from the new node.

I don't see how anyone is surprised with the claims and pricing of this card. My predictions were 100%, a tad-wee-bit better performance than the GTX 980 for $250-$300. I don't think that custom cards are going to be selling for $250. We finally have supply catching up with the 1070, and new custom cards still cost far more money than MSRP. I will expect above $300 for custom cards at first since our 1070s are above $400.

Hopefully I'm not the only one realizing Nvidia's tactics. They are upping price/performance of their cards, but they are also upping price. GTX 960 was a much cheaper card. The GTX 700 to 900 series was a much bigger jump in price/performance than the GTX 900 series to 1000. Plus the 900 series decreased power consumption but it is the same for Pascal.

How can people not realize already that:

GTX 1080 greater than 980Ti
GTX 1070 = 980Ti
GTX 1060 = 980

You bet the 1050 will = the 970. If you never realized, the performance gap between the 950 and 960 is very small; so is the gap between the 970 and 980. In this same way, the performance gap between the 1060 and 1070 will be the most significant jump again.

I'm just saying, though, this is not at all a blow to the RX 480. Cards are priced according to their performance.

What scares me is next year the GTX 1160 may be $350. The 1170 May be $500. Nvidia will make everything seem all pretty by increasing price/performance yet people seem to forget they are increasing the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.