Nvidia Selling its Own Retail Add-in Graphics Cards

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Nvidia making it own cards in additions to third-party vendor makes sense. However, if they stop selling the chips to other vendors it would be a bad move.

Even this small step to increase revenue should see complains from the vendors. Like it happen when Google decided to sell its own Android phone.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
ATI has been doing this for years. At first, they were ATI brand only and then they offered chips to vendors. Hopefully Nvidia doesn't go closed house, that will ruin them like it did to 3DFX. Hope they are more intelligent than that. Should we have 3DFX all over again? After that, we would only be left with ATI for gaming graphics and that would be pure monopoly.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]If you look really close on the PCB it says, "Send Help, I'm trapped in an Iphone factory"[/citation]

that's because it is Best Buy. Nobody with brains buys anything there.

[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]It looks like a Best Buy price tag. You have to be a sucker to buy a video card from there in the first place.[/citation]

true

[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]this will appeal to people who dont know what the hell they are buying.Mate - "Dude i got a GTX460"Mate 2 - "I got one today from best buy"[/citation]

they have best buy in the UK now? I didn't know that.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
foxconn does not ONLY make poor quality products.. like any other whore of whatever industry, they have a HUGE variance depending on what their customer demands. I've had 2 NVidia reference boards.. one was a 6800GT and the other was a 7950GTX. Both cards were better quality as far as components than many of their asus / gigabyte / bfg counter parts. They both still live, and I got them before they were released by about 2 months. That said, I've also had foxconn mother boards that are GARBAGE. And then there is Apple, who gets all their products made by Foxconn, and speaking to their newest Mac Pro design, the components are top notch, while still over priced. That aside, lets not judge nvidia too harshly over foxconn yet, lets see how much they paid foxconn for the manufacturing before we burn them on the spit.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Allow me to clarify the apple top notch components: I am referring ONLY to the quality of construction (Type of caps, etc) NOT the hardware spec which certainly ISNT top notch.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]have best buy in the UK now? I didn't know that.[/citation]
I've been in the one in Birmingham, as i'de only seen them in the US before - it's still full of mindless dumbasses - and that's just the staff

[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]ATI used to do this all the time until their partners got mad at them lol. Also in terms of reference cards most of nvidia cards are made from foxconn and i believe nvidia has one other large supplier. Few cards are actually made by like asus or msi. But more often they are still made by another party using the other parties reference board designs and just slapping their own heatsink on it. It's a similar set up with AMD =p Not everyone is going to make facilities to accommodate the entire process of making a board and heatsinks, they just contract another person to do it. Just like Nvidia doesn't actually make chips places like TMSC does.[/citation]
True but the point is still valid were our presumption of quality is in question. The video card makers quality rests on there products while this board from foxconn rests of the GPU makers quality. This would be like a motherboard being sold with an AMD or Intel name brand. IE resting on the quality of something which has no barring on the product for sale other than the fact their product works together.

The other suppliers of Video cards does this but over time we base the quality of there brand in part on their good judgment in choosing outsource production.

G

Best Buy + more overpricing. This is something that I DEFINITELY don't look forward to.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
For us OLD-TIMERS who started the 3D gaming market with 3Dfx Voodoo1 ~Voodoo3 such as myself... This has come full circle.

ATI has been around longer than Nvidia or 3Dfx. Nvidia destroyed 3Dfx and ate them up. A buddy used to work for STB/3Dfx - he was proud... 2 years later, out of a job.

When 3Dfx when this route, the rest of the industry turned on them. Expect the other venders to drop nVidia products as well. This will constrain nVidia to supporting everyone. And nVidia makes it sound like THIS type of business will benefit the end-user by having products to market faster... ah-hem, not! I am shocked that it has come to this. This is BAD BAD business and nVidia will be feeling it very painfully a year from now.

And then as confidence in Nvidia gets worse, people will buy less of their products and we might not see nVidia in the PS4. Some good news would be that the PhysX IP will be bought out by ATI in the next 9~18 months.

Man, and some of us thought ATI was in serious trouble with the 6-month late ATI 2000 series with big-hot chips that were slower than the 8800/8600 GPUs... no competition is not good for any of us.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]djhg2000[/nom]So is this the horrible 768 MB or the decent 1024 MB version?[/citation]

Good question, is this the one that gets 32fps or 35fps in BC2 at 1920x1200 with 4AA and 8AF? ;p

[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I agree with the above comments.I though the 460 was supposed to compete with the 5770, so it should be roughly half what it's selling for here.[/citation]

Actually the GTX460 competes more in line with the 5830 which sells for $280 at best buy.

kinghowser

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Let me see
1. I buy my card from EVGA i get a lifetime warranty. Even if I overclock' or mod the card with a third-party cooler. as long as I put it back together before I RMA it.

2. RMA turn around takes 2-3 days max.

3. EVGA is always giving goodies away so far I've gotten with my card from EVGA. A new 480 that I fried, and 2 games 1 game when I bought the game and Mafia 2 just for being an early adopter.

I've dealt with Nvidia's direct support line. It does not hold a candle to EVGA.

Just my 2 cent's :)

Let's hope that EVGA don't go the same way as XFX or BFG then.

idburns

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
"You've decided on the technology, and then you get to pick from a vast array of vendors to find the design (and price point) that's best for you. That's been the model for buying an Nvidia GPU, at least up until now."

"Up until now", what? The 3rd parties are still creating and selling their cards...the only thing that has changed is that now nVidia is selling them at 1 retail chain alongside the other 3rd parties.

Sensationalized journalism fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS