Nvidia Shield Gets a Price Cut Down to $299, Set for June 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
A press release that sounds nice, but really that pretty much sounds like they're saying, "everyone who has tried this thing thinks it's not worth what we're trying to sell it for". It is practically a PC gaming peripheral with a screen attached. But if you're sitting in front of your PC I don't see why you would need another smaller screen in your hands.

melvar

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I see this system as a semi-portable rather than full portable; you'll need a backpack or something similar to carry it out in the world, but it will be quite portable around the house. The big deal for me is that this should be the ultimate handheld for emulation. pretty much anything up to the PS2 and maybe even the original X-Box could be emulated at good speed on the Tegra 4. Saying this should only cost $150 is like saying the XBone and PS4 should only cost $200. It would be nice, but then the real world comes in to smack that idea down. Tech costs money, and when you aren't getting license fees from game developers, you can't sell a system at a loss without going out of business.

Odd but interesting device. I could see getting one of these at some point down the road to play games up in the main house when I do not want to be down in the dungeon with my PC. But $300 (plus the cost of a compatible nVidia GPU for streaming said games) seems like a rather steep price to pay.

Another thing too is that this is essentially just streaming your monitor output to the device via WiFi... this is not hard to do, and in fact I already do this with my cell phone via PC Remote. The obvious difference is that there are physical button controls, and the video stream is compressed in real time to get a high quality low latency video to the device, but I do not think that this justifies the $300 price tag, plus an additional $250-500 cost of a new GPU. This type of tech could easily be developed as a software solution for next gen phones for much less money, and without having to be tied to a specific hardware ecosystem.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
This could be good "controller" for a PC gamer. You just use it as a controller, but still play on you big PC, monitor, etc. Then when. all of a sudden you feel the urge to take a crap, but the next savepoint is years away, voila, no interruption.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I think this is a mistake, Nvidia should just stay doing Video Cards/chips.
I just hope that they can survive this, after all it wouldn't be the first time that a silly product
(read: bad product decision) bankrupts a company.

In an interview Huang clearly state that nvidia did not expect to sell many of these thing to begin with although he would be happy if nvidia able to do so. 299 maybe about right for them. If they price this device lower than 199 it might defeat the purpose why they are making this device in the first place

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
... why is everyone so pissed about this? $300 is freaking cheap, too bad it'll probably sell for over $500 here (India)... I'd totally replace my tablet with this. Are you guys out of your minds, this thing is cheaper than most Android devices with similar specs AND it has a controller!

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
yeah.. excelent starting price. then if they realized it isn't selling down the road, they can slash it again to 249 or even 199.... for now it is the right price.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Or I can just mount PS3 controller to my existing Android device, and have something better...
Gameklip (20 bucks) + cheap case to mount to (3-5 dollars) = 25 bucks.

jefrymarte

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Realistic price for a tegra 4 handheld, we are forgetting that this device is meant to play android games with alike performance of previous gen consoles. PC streaming is a secondary option.

jefrymarte

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Realistic price for a tegra 4 handheld, we are forgetting that this device is meant to play android games with alike performance of previous gen consoles. PC streaming is a secondary option.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Does that mean those of us that have a standing preorder will get that reduced price as they haven't charged me yet even though I reserved it nearly a month ago.

-CB

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Cell phones are expensive because everything is ultra compact. This thing is huge in comparison. They can use rather bulky components.

It really shouldn't be over $199 but good for them if they can get $299 even.

nord_musician

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

If I want a handheld gaming system with controller and screen included, well I'd rather buy a 3DS XL or PS Vita

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Does that mean those of us that have a standing preorder will get that reduced price as they haven't charged me yet even though I reserved it nearly a month ago.

-CB

Status
Not open for further replies.