Nvidia Shows GeForce GTX 480 ''Hair'' Rendering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Did she say "500 feps"? The hair doesn't animate very realistically IMO. It moves like it's under water or in low gravity. It's not so bad with wind, it's when she's just moving the model that it looks wrong. Still better than static hair though, of course.[/citation]

Yeah, that's when it's tiny on the screen. When she zooms in, you can see the frames dropping to the 50s, and I could have sworn it hit 16 at one point. If only there were an ATI demo like this to compare it to...

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Quoting from the video: "More than 18000 strands being rendered. We're simulating a lot less strands!"

I lol'd so hard at this. Her PR supervisor probably facepalmed when she said that.

You know, because a hair simulation demo should actually show off how well Fermi SIMULATES HAIR!

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
These demonstrations seem to make the situation worse... Maybe even a little desperate... Someone needs to give nvidia a hug.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]IncinX[/nom]Haha, she also called FPS "fips".[/citation]
Lol, took me a min to realize what the hell she was talking about. If I was standing at her demonstration, It would have taken more self control than I possess not to laugh my ass off.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
They still simulate hair movement like it's in water, like, in slow motion and of course, always beautiful brushed hair with no nods :p

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Yeah, that's when it's tiny on the screen. When she zooms in, you can see the frames dropping to the 50s, and I could have sworn it hit 16 at one point. If only there were an ATI demo like this to compare it to...[/citation]
Yeah I was just going to drop a comment on the fact that it was 50-60 fps which is good showing off the realism hair effects but I don't see this happening in games if frames drop that much to just render hair...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
graphics in games still didn't even reach what you would see in those old geforce 6 and geforce 7 demos. thats because while it may render a small thing really well, trying to do it in a large game world will be too slow and a game with just 1 character in a small room just isn't that interesting.

also no one really cares about hair rendering like that. especially in a game. if they want to talk about the power of their card, have a real time video of it running 3dmark and post many other real world game benchmarks.

also it is less work to pay people to make a hair demo, just have then instead play a couple of games, which they will do anyway with the new cards.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It's clear that either you're blinded by Fermi's specs sheet, or by ATI's current dominance, but seriously, I am quite embarrassed for nvidia right now. Can it be that this is the best simulation they could have come up with? At least if the movement was in real-time and super realistic, I mean so much so that it would have looked like a video recording, then I would have been impressed; but it's still clear that it's CG, and certainly it didn't make my head spin. It's really odd when a company's R&D dept. and their marketing dept. both screw up. Generally one holds down the company until stuff iron themselves out, but in this case they both seem to be high on something.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]If I cared about demos, I'd have kept my Commodore 64.[/citation]
LOL, that brings back memories. My Q9650 & GTX 285 are still running great gave my nephew my older Athlon 64 x2 rig. The GTX 485 should be a good card if you were building a new rig.
Before the AMD fanboys start slamming my post. When I build a rig I look at all sides (intel, Nvidia, Amd). Tom's Hardware does some excellent charts I like to look at when doing pre-build research. I build what gives me the best performance for my buck.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Should there be a "Sponsored by Fermi" before "Tom's Hardware"? Still getting nothing but the drip drip drip of Fermi cardboardware Hype, when real cards that we should be hearing about are being ignored. Are there any plans to benchmark this.

Incredible Power – Redefining the standard for graphics performance
Graphics cards are the frontier of PC gaming, and the Republic of Gamers goes where none have ventured before with the limited-edition ARES. A card unique in design and in performance, it possesses dual Radeon HD5870 GPUs and 4GB of GDDR5 RAM for up to a 23% performance improvement over the class leading Radeon HD5970.

That's one review I want to read.

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Did she say "500 feps"? The hair doesn't animate very realistically IMO. It moves like it's under water or in low gravity. It's not so bad with wind, it's when she's just moving the model that it looks wrong. Still better than static hair though, of course.[/citation]

Demos like this are always in slowmo. IDK why they don't demo the stuff in real time but this is always how i've seen it done.

G

*looks at scalp*

*looks at Fermi chip*

Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.