Nvidia Shows iPad-beating Foxconn Tegra 2 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I'd agree with the comment above. Granted tablets are not new devices and have been around for years, but Apple did push the product into the limelight, until now tablets were a very niche market. Regardless of the pros/cons of the iPad, Apple's marketing team has helped the whole tablet market for all manufacturers.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
awesome but i bet the ipad will have more badass apps. this will be the techie toy for those who know what ram and 1 ghz means.

gayan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
the title is really confusing. I thought that the iPad managed to beat the Tegra 2 device (which is totally opposite what happened)

G

All tablets have to have a large bezel, otherwise you can't hold it, and the specs are great, but how is the battery life, and it will all come down to the apps in the end.
Is the screen smaller than the iPad or does it just look it?

G

There's still no killer app for tablet computers out there. Despite the technical merits of all the 'iPad killers' I reckon the whole tablet computer revolution will fall flat on its face this time around as well, regardless of manufacturer.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]gayan[/nom]the title is really confusing. I thought that the iPad managed to beat the Tegra 2 device (which is totally opposite what happened)[/citation]
I can understand your confusion somewhat, but it's all about the well-placed hyphen.
Ipad beating Tegra.
and
Ipad-beating Tegra.
See the difference?

tobyevers

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
regardless of Companies pushing them out, and all the interesting quirks and specs of the different unit, there still isnt a real market for tablet pc's, and probably never will be, so this new tablet is moot

The title is confusing and needs to be changed.
I didn't understand at first.
Why would nVidia show the iPad beating the Tegra 2?

It should be titled:
"nVidia Shows Tegra 2 beating the iPad"
OR
"nVidia beats the iPad with Tegra 2"
OR
"nVidia Tegra 2, Better than iPad?"

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]The title is confusing and needs to be changed.
I didn't understand at first.
Why would nVidia show the iPad beating the Tegra 2?

It should be titled:
"nVidia Shows Tegra 2 beating the iPad"
OR
"nVidia beats the iPad with Tegra 2"
OR
"nVidia Tegra 2, Better than iPad?"[/citation]
The title is fine, the hyphen changes the meaning of the title to mean that the Tegra 2 won. Punctuation marks are there for a reason :p

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
So, I get a negative rating for explaining how hyphens work?
The statement can be confusing on the typical quick read expected of an article, but the phrasing is technically correct, and says exactly what it's supposed to.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]tobyevers[/nom]regardless of Companies pushing them out, and all the interesting quirks and specs of the different unit, there still isnt a real market for tablet pc's, and probably never will be, so this new tablet is moot[/citation] There are reports* of Apple already selling 200000 iPads a week and they haven't yet tapped the international markets. So whilst still niche, this may be quite momentous for tablet devices.

*Analyst Mike Abramsky / RBC Capital Markets

G

I see no problem with the title.
"Ipad-beating": That beats the Ipad

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]brianmoz[/nom]awesome but i bet the ipad will have more badass apps. this will be the techie toy for those who know what ram and 1 ghz means.[/citation]

Excatly, i can't wait.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
1) bezel is far too thick
2) screen is the cheap kind that netbooks use

Who cares if an ugly contraption is using a 30% faster A9 and plays 1080p HD? The A8 seems plenty fast in the iPad implementation. Would rather settle for 720p (on a 9 inch screen) and avoid the risk of a movie looking over/under exposed when placed on my lap. It's a big usability thing for a tablet compared to a notebook with a hinge.

dargon_supreme

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Everybody is talking about how bad is the iPad, but everybody is trying to enter the market that Apple created by itself. It is very easy to copy or make some improvements over a product, but it is very hard to create a new market. I have to congratulate Apple, they are really good on creating new markets. That is the big difference.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I think the market didn't want tablets in the past because of a lack of a good OS and decent, usable applications.

I've seen tablets used in a medical center, and they had a custom OS and app installed for charting. they loved them.

With the new phone OSes, like the iPhone and Android, we have a good platform that is actually usable for tablets. I know I'm going for an Android tablet when one comes out.

I have a Kindle for reading ebooks, but I've tried looking stuff up on the internet with it, and it sucks at that. I'm liking the idea of having the internet and remote terminals on an Android tablet. It could help with both work and home. Being able to look stuff up on Wowhead while playing WoW, and keeling them both open, would be nice, as well as looking up fixes for various Linux and AIX problems here at work while working on a server would help with work.

The market wasn't there before because of a lack of proper software. Windows XP was never usable on a tablet the way it should have been. With these new OSes, the market will take off now. I'm sure of it.

darkscorpion20

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Exodite3[/nom]There's still no killer app for tablet computers out there. Despite the technical merits of all the 'iPad killers' I reckon the whole tablet computer revolution will fall flat on its face this time around as well, regardless of manufacturer.[/citation]

I disagree, i have never been a fan of laptops or tablets, and only recently got my first smart phone. But the new tablet market is something i plan on getting into. I think the tech has reached a point that people are willing to accept it.

As far as the iPad's success? Thats just because mac users are users, their a cult of followers.

darkscorpion20

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation]Thats just because mac users are users, their a cult of followers.[/citation]

Can't type today it would seem, meant to say:

Thats just because mac users are NOT users, their a cult of followers.

G

"Everybody is talking about how bad is the iPad, but everybody is trying to enter the market that Apple created by itself. It is very easy to copy or make some improvements over a product, but it is very hard to create a new market."

Not if you're Apple, that's sort of the entire point.

There's been tablet computers around forever, heck there tablets from the late 90's that actually beat the specs of the iPad _today_ and those still weren't a hit.

Apple can pretty much sell anything through hype and a rabid fanbase however.

What remains to be seen is how long the balloon will stay in flight, will the iPad be such a hot commodity a year or two from now?

I'm doubtful, not so much because it's an Apple device but rather a pointless one. Tablets are a mix-'n-match of portable media players, smartphones and notebook computers that lack the convenience and functionality of all of the former while bringing no new killer apps of their own.

For tablets to take of they really need to have a niche of their own that only their particular format and platform do well.

Right now the only thing that comes to mind is electronic newspapers, comics and magazines. I'm doubtful if we're yet at that point where such an expensive and limited device can offer a compelling replacement for the real thing however. Especially in the closed and tightly controlled environment offered by Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.