News Nvidia Stock Plunges, Q2 Revenue Outlook Below Expectations

It things like this that support my concern the 4000 series MSRP will be eye watering. Shareholders do not care if there were unusual circumstances for lasts years high performance, the next year must be higher.

It things like this that support my concern the 4000 series MSRP will be eye watering. Shareholders do not care if there were unusual circumstances for lasts years high performance, the next year must be higher.

Average selling price went too high in the last two years, both from pandemic buying and by cryptominers sucking up supply. Now that they (both Nvidia and AMD) see they can sell GPUs at the much higher MSRPs, they have no financial incentive to reduce pricing, even if supply catches up fully to the demand. I think Nvidia will accept a glut on the market before selling 4000-series cheaper than what the 3000-series go for now at its elevated pricing.

The days of getting a decent high-end for $500 are over, and have been over for years now. We're still hoping, but hope has been getting punched in the face too many times.

Average selling price went too high in the last two years, both from pandemic buying and by cryptominers sucking up supply. Now that they (both Nvidia and AMD) see they can sell GPUs at the much higher MSRPs, they have no financial incentive to reduce pricing, even if supply catches up fully to the demand. I think Nvidia will accept a glut on the market before selling 4000-series cheaper than what the 3000-series go for now at its elevated pricing.

The days of getting a decent high-end for $500 are over, and have been over for years now. We're still hoping, but hope has been getting punched in the face too many times.
Yes, that’s similar to my thinking

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I think Nvidia is about to get caught between the crypto collapse, inflation, and lack of graphically-demanding new games. I'm sure they want to price the RTX 40-series higher, but consumers may not allow it. I think gamers are getting pinched by food and fuel and a lack of content, so they're not going to be available to pick up the demand void left by the crypto miners. Investors need to be extra cautious. If miners start dumping their cards onto the resale market then things could get extra messy. Huge risk.

Reactions: peachpuff

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is why I think they will keep their prices high. They will get the enthusiasts who want the latest thing and will pay any price vs trying to outcompete the used market full of 30 series cards. The question is whether they bought enough fab time to meet the expected demand and if they ended 30 series production at the right time. If they over produce they might not have an option but to reduce prices, or you'll end up with what happened last time to the AIBs. They were forced to buy and produce older 10 series cards when 20 series were failing to sell. It was that or get no chips for the new cards.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Well, that's horrible!!

I mean if you can't depend on scalpers and other shady partners to quadruple the MSRP, who can you depend on these day!!

My heart aches for poor nGridia.

InvalidError

Titan
I think Nvidia is about to get caught between the crypto collapse, inflation, and lack of graphically-demanding new games. I'm sure they want to price the RTX 40-series higher, but consumers may not allow it.
I would like to believe GPU pricing has gone off the rails and is only prevented from collapsing by crypto-mining slowly winding down. We'll see when the crypto-GPU sell-off happens with ETH going PoS.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Nvidia stock prices have increased significantly over the last couple of years due to pandemic lockdown and mining demand surge. Even with a 10% crash, they are still in a good place. Furthermore, people are very forgetful. So after some time, I will not be surprised that the share prices will start creeping up again.