News Nvidia teases RTX 40 Super series launch at CES — here's all of the leaked specs

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
My main issue with these high-end cards is the length. Most of these cards unless you buy them in a prebuilt are too long for most cases and you have to try and find a case that is both appealing and will fit these GPU's inside the case.

I ran across a few on Amazon both AMD and Nvidia and they were more than 14" in length whereas a GPU in an Alienware, HP or Lenovo Legion are typically less than 12" long.

Reactions: Order 66

Iridar51

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
Just ordered a 4070 Ti a few days ago, then a friend made me realize my mistake. Luckily, was able to refund the order. Looking forward a lot to getting a 4070 Ti Super instead, hopefully it'll cost roughly the same. Low amount of VRAM was pretty much my only gripe with 4070 Ti, so the Super version is exactly what I want from my GPU. Yeah, it's expensive, but what can you do. I considered going the AMD way, but I just trust nVidia cards more, despite everything.

Also I heard an interesting thing, that the Reflex hardware at this point reduces input delay so much that it's enough to compensate for the input lag caused by frame generation, essentially making the perceptible framerate higher while having the same input lag as on an AMD card that doesn't have the Reflex hardware solution.

Plus I don't trust the GPU chiplet design. I considered going 7900 XTX for raw rasterization performance, but the aforementioned issues, plus the card's apparent poor scaling into higher resolutions, ultimately convinced me to stay in the green camp.

Still might be getting a 7800X3D later this year though, after sticking with Intel for over a decade. Those game benchmarks look pretty enticing.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I genuinely can't bring myself to care about any Nvidia product announcements. Their entire product stack is $100-400 overpriced, and the performance bump over the last gen doesn't even begin to justify it. I'll just keep my current RTX 2070 as long as I can, and then I'll reconsider my gaming hobby altogether if prices are still outrageous. I'm not going to be swindled like this just play a game.

Reactions: Jagar123

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
The last mid-generation cards that were good were from the GTX 10x0 series. The 1080Ti was amazing. Then the 20x0 series came up with their Super cards that in no way justified their price, and nothing has changed since then. I used to always buy the optimized models, but now stick to original release models. 10-15% more performance for 30% additional price doesn't make any sense.

Iridar51

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
10-15% more performance for 30% additional price doesn't make any sense.
Wasn't it always like that? Take 7xx for example. GTX 770 vs GTX 780, the latter offered +15% performance for ~60% markup (400 vs 650 USD MSRP).

Personally I'm pretty happy about replacing my 2070 (500 USD MSRP) with 4070 Ti Super (supposedly 800 USD MSRP), which is about 2.1x times more powerful and supports newer tech, like framegen.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
My main issue with these high-end cards is the length. Most of these cards unless you buy them in a prebuilt are too long for most cases and you have to try and find a case that is both appealing and will fit these GPU's inside the case.

I ran across a few on Amazon both AMD and Nvidia and they were more than 14" in length whereas a GPU in an Alienware, HP or Lenovo Legion are typically less than 12" long.
My 4080 FE has about 1/4" clearance in my Fractal Meshify case, which is not exactly a tiny case.. lol. But honestly I love the beefy coolers. The thing runs about 65c tops. My 3080 FE ran about 78c with an undervolt, at much lower frame rates, and lower resolution, consuming more power. 4080 is a solid card. It's just greedily priced. should have been a grand at most.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Plus I don't trust the GPU chiplet design
and why is that ?
plus the card's apparent poor scaling into higher resolutions,
what do you mean ?

the rtx 40 series, less the 4090, pretty much suck when it comes to performance, specially when you factor in the price, as other then the 4090, the rest of the line, is one tier too high.. eg, the 4070, should of been called the 4060, maybe 4060ti.....

Iridar51

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
and why is that ?
I realize that the details of the card's architecture are irrelevant to me as a consumer, it's just something that the review on this site has mentioned, that the chiplet design may actually be working against the card.

And in general, I never liked the premise behind the whole chiplets + infinity fabric thing ever since the advent of Zen.

It always seemed like a measure to save costs for AMD at the cost of higher latency / worse performance, and not a measure to improve performance, and early Zen CPUs had all kinds of issues associated with this architecture.

Even today, on the 4th generation of this technology, AMD achieve the best performance on CPUs that have all their cores inside one chiplet.

what do you mean ?
Just something one of the reviews mentioned, that this card loses more relative performance as the resolution increases.

It's easier to explain this on an example. Let's say we're comparing nVidia RTX 4080 with 7900 XTX, and establish a baseline at 1080p. for the sake of the example, let's say they have exact same FPS at that resolution.

Then we increase resolution to 1440p, and let's say both cards lose 25% FPS. Even so far.

Then we increase resolution to 4k, and the RTX card loses 50% FPS, while XTX card loses 65% FPS.

Numbers are made up, this is just to explain what I meant.

EDIT: Found real numbers:
While the RTX 4090 does technically take first place at 1080p ultra, it's the 1440p and especially 4K numbers that impress. It's only 3% faster than the next closest RX 7900 XTX at 1080p ultra, but that increases to 8% at 1440p and then 23% at 4K.

Basically for me the choice was either to go with an 800$ nVidia Card, or a "more powerful" 1000$ AMD card, with better raw rasterization performance and massively larger amount of VRAM, so it can last a really long time. But the poor scaling with higher resolutions is an argument against this card's longevity.

The card is great for 1440p, which is what I'm using, and I don't really plan to upgrade to 4k in the foreseeable future, I actually think 4k gaming is a bit of a marketing scam, but I would consider using an ultrawide, and I don't want to feel that turning my GPU carriage into a pumpkin.

Other issues I had with the AMD card are seemingly still a bit raw chiplet design (first GPU series to feature chiplets at all, so this is Zen 1 all over again), lack of Reflex-like tech to reduce latency to offset added latency caused by frame generation, worse upscaling / raytracing performance.

Plus I generally try to avoid AMD tech if possible, they seem to be always playing catch-up in terms of tech and performance, the X3D chips in gaming applications and high core count on early Zen CPUs that forced Intel to lift their metaphorical ass for the first time in a decade are practically the only examples of the opposite in recent memory. I still might upgrade my 10600FK to 7800 X3D this year, though, but for the GPU 4070 Ti Super is pretty much perfect for me.

Last edited:
Just ordered a 4070 Ti a few days ago, then a friend made me realize my mistake. Luckily, was able to refund the order. Looking forward a lot to getting a 4070 Ti Super instead, hopefully it'll cost roughly the same. Low amount of VRAM was pretty much my only gripe with 4070 Ti, so the Super version is exactly what I want from my GPU. Yeah, it's expensive, but what can you do. I considered going the AMD way, but I just trust nVidia cards more, despite everything.

Plus I don't trust the GPU chiplet design. I considered going 7900 XTX for raw rasterization performance, but the aforementioned issues, plus the card's apparent poor scaling into higher resolutions, ultimately convinced me to stay in the green camp.
I am in the same boat as you, waiting for the 4070 ti Super. Hopefully no scalpers this time 🤞

the low and mid tier cards till the 4060ti have been a side grade. I would happily take the same performance and new features if they can reduce the manufacturing and hence the retail price of these cards with the chiplet design. But we know Ngreedia, will never happen. But its also sad to see AMD follow suite and price gauge along with competing Nvidia cards, instead of lowering the price and capturing some much needed market share.

Iridar51

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
I am in the same boat as you, waiting for the 4070 ti Super. Hopefully no scalpers this time 🤞

the low and mid tier cards till the 4060ti have been a side grade. I would happily take the same performance and new features if they can reduce the manufacturing and hence the retail price of these cards with the chiplet design. But we know Ngreedia, will never happen. But its also sad to see AMD follow suite and price gauge along with competing Nvidia cards, instead of lowering the price and capturing some much needed market share.
Well, in regards to AMD pricing, I'd say their top two cards are pretty competitively priced, offering roughly the same performance as more expensive nVidia cards. Like, I still went with nVidia, but the pricing made me think long and hard about it. And if the rumors about MSRPs of the Super cards are true, AMD might be forced to make a price cut.

Hopefully no scalpers this time
Probably inevitable to a degree. I'm also concerned about vendors just ignoring the supposedly suggested price cut. It'll probably level out in the end eventually, especially if they have to compete with Founders Editions cards if they're actually sold by nVidia at the rumored MSRP. Just hard to wait lol

vacavalier

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Those prices will inevitably go north once vendors push their Super versions out to market. Not interested personally. My 4070 Ti is not a "fire-breather" version, but more than capable in games I've found. I'm a hold out for next-gen GPU's (down the road) and board upgrade as well.