Nvidia Tech Demonstration Reveals CPU Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nvidia is good at badge engineering.

Hey wait a minute! There is another company that was all into selling the same product under different names.

Don't think that went to well for them.

Maybe Nvidia needs to go Ch 11 so they can actually start to create new products.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I'm glad at least one journalist pressed Nvidia on the GPU situation, when are Nvidia going to put their arses into gear and get a 3 series GPU onto the market?

I'm guessing the 8 series fiasco with the broken GPU's and being sued by every major distributor in the world is taking its toll on them financially.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
indeed but it's the only way to grow. very difficult for nvidia since intel's larrabee is based on x86 architecture and amd's solution is cheaper and simpler.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
This article is kinda bad, says CPU in title then starts talking about GPU's and it has misspellings.

I honestly thought nVidia was finally starting to get into the CPU market.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
While in a press meeting, we even overhead several journalists saying that "Nvidia hasn't had a major GPU breakthrough since the 8800 GTX."
What do you call the GTX 280? Came out a year ago but it's still essentially the top offering from Nvidia (GTX 285 is basically the same thing).

I do feel the impatience that the journalists are feeling though and it is well-known that Nvidia hasn't been doing much of anything in the GPU market. The only thing on the horizons is the GT-300 series which will hopefully be released at the end of the year. That's still a pretty long time since the GTX 285/295 releases at the very beginning of the year.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
NVIDIA has to do something to compete against the big boys. Getting bought by the king bully Intel is NOT NOT NOT an option. If NVDA can put some good processors out to compete with the rest, at a desired price point, they have the ability to become a strong contender in the market and grow their company unbelievably large. Putting Intel in the weak spot, which they totally deserve.

G

They've been very busy with the ION platform which is just amazing,if you look at the mobo smaller than a human hand with everything on it!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
This is starting to piss me off... no, not Nvidia, this site, Tom's. Everytime I look at it I have to reload the page because it didn't render completely or correctly and its getting irritating. Just now I read the article thinking it was all fine (after numerous reloads on other articles earlier) but then got to the comments section and it was all jacked up. Anyone else seeing this?

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]Nvidia reminds me of Yahoo. Arrogantly insistent on a path in the face of contradicting truths, and destined to wither and eventually fail. They, not ATI, would have been the optimal merger partner if not for their CEO's ego. Worse, their two front war against IBM and AMD on CPUs is as likely to succeed as Yahoo against Google and Microsoft (or Bush vs Iraq and Afghanistan).[/citation]
You mean Intel, right?

I would say Nvidia has their head in their A$$, but their head is too big to fit. The 6 Series was my last Nvidia GPU for a while.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Nvidia needs to break into the CPU market though. Face it, Intel will now be offering discrete graphics, AMD already bought ATI for discrete graphics, and IBM has had a hold on the CPU market for industrial and mobile applications for some time.

Nvidia doesn't want to be the one company sitting back just doing GPU's when everyone else is doing both. The reason we aren't seeing so much in the way of GPU advancement from them, I think, is because they might be in the basement building a CPU to take on Intel and AMD. I know that some of you may laugh at that, but think about it: if you were the only chipmaker doing JUST graphics, and not doing them well enough to be outstanding (really, ATI's offerings satisfy much of the market in ways Nvidia only sort of brushes up against), and now the biggest player in the CPU market walks into your backyard with a boomstick in hand (Intel and Larrabee), what do you do?

kakkoii

Distinguished
May 25, 2009

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Put the CPU, GPU, and 12GB of ram onto a single die. Charge me $600. I'll buy two.[/citation]
That's idiotic.

It increases the price of a single purchase, makes customization difficult, and makes upgrading much more expensive and less worthwhile.

That's why both Intel and Nvidia have idiotic ideas about these all in one solutions for things they aren't that great at. Intel makes the best performing CPU, and Nvidia makes the best performing GPU, I shouldn't have to decide whether I want one or the other, I should just get both and customize.

goose man

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
@Tindytim

You may be right, but think it is like this:

If every system has at least this kind of system (CPU+GPU+12GB), developer can do their work more eficiently, the code can be more streamline and efficient, the do not have to worry how their program would run on joe's machine that only have integrated GPU with slow CPU and 128 MB RAM ...

In the end, software is much more optimized, efficient and faster, that would benefit us all. No more "Can it play crysis ?" question :-D

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]goose man[/nom]If every system has at least this kind of system (CPU+GPU+12GB), developer can do their work more eficiently, the code can be more streamline and efficient[/citation]
A) Not everyone would jump on that ship. You're essentially making something like a game console (the original Xbox was off the shelf parts). And the fact of the matter is, even if you got everyone to buy this, you force people who don't need 12GB of RAM, and huge processing power for writing school papers, into spending money they wouldn't have to currently.

[citation][nom]goose man[/nom]the do not have to worry how their program would run on joe's machine that only have integrated GPU with slow CPU and 128 MB RAM ...In the end, software is much more optimized, efficient and faster, that would benefit us all. No more "Can it play crysis ?" question :-D[/citation]
That ruins the whole concept of being a hardware enthusiast.

The fact of the matter is, under the current system, I can spend more if I need more performance and less if I don't, rather than being victim to someone else's idea of what ratio of GPU to CPU performance is best for every application.

I pride myself at understand and learning the performance of component, and there are many other people that feel the same way. Milking the best performance is a hobby to many people, not to mention competitive gamers.

That concept if why we no longer have the computer systems we had in the 80's.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]i agree brother. amd's solution, cpu+gpu is not far from old cpus that had integrated math co-processors.[/citation]
All CPU's starting from the 486's have integrated coprocessors.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Its great the Nvidia can jump in to other markets without being sued, they sue Intel for making GPU. Guess its a little one sided with them.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm actually interested in seeing what Nvidia is trying to offer here. Despite the rough competition and critisism to come for them, i have a slightly good feeling they will do just fine. Time are changing, and i think Nvidia deserves a chance to prove they can be better than Intel or AMD. We'll just have to wait and see...

Status
Not open for further replies.