Nvidia Tegra 3: A Whole New Level of Mobile Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onikage

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Thats right ! as soon as that Transformer 2 Asus Tablet comes out, you have a portable console right There !

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
They should have mentioned what chipset they meant by competition.
And competition isn't that slow. maali 400 in Galaxy SII can play original BD content (mt2s as well as mkv) effortlessly at 1080p.
@Andrew Ku: When can we expect benchmarks?

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
So we're looking at a processor that does core2dou performance with entry level GPU in a sub-2W SoC. That could make a serious splash in the corporate thin client/ultramobile market once win8 comes along.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]lockhrt999[/nom]They should have mentioned what chipset they meant by competition.And competition isn't that slow. maali 400 in Galaxy SII can play original BD content (mt2s as well as mkv) effortlessly at 1080p.@Andrew Ku: When can we expect benchmarks?[/citation]

They say "competition" but these games are all TegraZone only games. Suffice it to say "competition" means Tegra 2. Nvidia just doesn't say so because it's not good to undercut the sales of their existing SoC, which will now be slated for entry level tablets. Tegra 3 will be positioned as a solution for "premium tablets."

I rather not post the "leaked" benchmarks because we haven't seen measured performance for ourselves. That said, we'll have something in the lab before you make your holiday buying decision.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

darkstar845

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
They said "3x faster GPU"
How come they can improve the performance so much on the mobile sector but can't even increase the performance of Desktop GPU by 50 percent on each new generation?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
the jet ski game looked better without the added effects.

wish they would show comparitive graphics tech demos, like a "look how bad tegra 2 handles this, now look at 3"

because tablets, at least to me, are only good for gameing, and the moment they become a viable console ill be all over one, but as of now, they are barely a gameing device in my eyes.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I liked the part where they say use it as a console !! that is a GREAT tiny console. the Only thing I want to know is what games does actually run in there for tegra3?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
This is impressive. I love how they are plotting a path to make android a portable console. This is exactly what the PSP Vita should be doing, allowing PS3 controller support with HDMI out.
The one bad thing though is android games thus far have been woeful. It isn't processing power that is keeping it back though, it's the fact that so few developers are bothering with it. I don't mind paying 5 or 6 or even 10 bucks or more for a really decent game, but we aren't getting them because of Google's decision to allow non-marketplace application installation. If there are more Android users than iOS, then how come our games are dire and the vast majority of the ones that get high ratings on marketplace are the repetitive time-management ones that compel you to buy credits.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]darkstar845[/nom]They said "3x faster GPU"How come they can improve the performance so much on the mobile sector but can't even increase the performance of Desktop GPU by 50 percent on each new generation?[/citation]
Because mobile performance initially was way behind the current desktops ... actually what they are doing now is miniaturizing existing GPU power to fit mobile devices ... not so long mobile devices had the graphics of an old 486 machine .. now i think they are somewhere in the early Geforce era, so ofcourse they have room to improve with huge leaps.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I still remember when IBM PowerPC (RISC) (MAC) and Intel (x86) (CISC) battle for supremacy in the consumer world (PC), Intel triumph and PowerPC goes mainframe (maybe in part because of Windows), now its all over again, ARM (RISC) Vs Intel (x86) (CISC) now minus Windows since M$ is pushing also for Windows in ARM.

ARM is slowly moving to (x86) territory.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]So we're looking at a processor that does core2dou performance with entry level GPU in a sub-2W SoC. That could make a serious splash in the corporate thin client/ultramobile market once win8 comes along.[/citation]No, we're NOT!!! if you think Tegra3 will come even close to Core 2 (even solo) performance levels, you are seriously deluded...

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]So we're looking at a processor that does core2dou performance with entry level GPU in a sub-2W SoC. That could make a serious splash in the corporate thin client/ultramobile market once win8 comes along.[/citation]

what?? where did you get an idea that this chip is about the speed of core2duo?? it's not even close. If it was like core2duo then it would be in every single netbook and in most laptops and they would have battery life of 4543534534534 hours at least....

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Unfortunately I'm willing to bet Android developers will be aiming for single core most of the time, as that is still the largest install base. It will be some time until a significant number of apps take advantage of dual core, let alone quad, and even for multitasking the benefit of more than two on a tablet has yet to be seen.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]darkstar845[/nom]They said "3x faster GPU"How come they can improve the performance so much on the mobile sector but can't even increase the performance of Desktop GPU by 50 percent on each new generation?[/citation]

Its easier to double your money if you start out with 300 than 3 million. These chips still have a low starting point, so we can expect to see rapid ramp ups.

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
What i dont understand is how nvidia cant make a decent tegra gpu?!?!?! powervr ftw !! quint core is nice but at 45nm ... "too soon junior" lol

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I don't understand why they claim that since most games are CPU bound, a quad core will vastly improve performance. What games are designed to truly take advantage of more than 3 cores? Even BF3 shows virtual no performance increases after 2 cores. I HIGHLY doubt all those Android game developers are going to be shooting to take advantage of more cores than PC/Console developers do.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
The mobile sector is still pretty new so there's easily room for improvements. The desktop sector is extremely mature the past 3 generations have all been using the 40nm manufacturing process so all advances have been in improving the architecture. Next generation will be 28nm and you'll have lots of gains just by through that.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]the past 3 generations[/citation]
I meant past 2! Although 3 generations ago 55nm which isn't that much of a difference to 40.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
"The end result is that we should finally be able to watch Flash video at sites like Hulu without major stutter, which has always been one of our major complaints concerning Android devices. After all, what good is touting Flash compatibility over Apple's iOS devices when video playback is choppy?"

A 5 core CPU to play Flash files? No wonder that Mobile flash was killed today by Adobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS