Nvidia Tegra 3 Almost Done, Tegra 4 On the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Tegra has always looked neat, and benchmarked well...but it has to find a market...or be implemented in a market, rather.

Hopefully T3 will be adopted by more devices.

mavroxur

Distinguished
And yet none of the Tegra line has experienced much market exposure. You can release Tegra 4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10, but if hardly any of them make it into a few devices here and there, whats the point?

G

Is the Tegra 3 a new SoC... or is it a rebranded Tegra 2? I heard a rumor that Nvidia likes to do the rebranding thing.

You decide!

G

personally, I'm waiting for Notion Ink's Adam (Tegra 2 inside). According to what i saw it's supposed to rock

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I am wondering what the problem with Tegra adoption is. The ZuneHD performed great with the Tegra 1. Tegra 2 had places it was going to be and at the last minute looked to be kicked out by an Intel replacement. So why is it so hard for Tegra to break in and find a home? Is it licensing? propitiatory tech? What? I also would like to see and ATI(AMD) chip similar to the Tegra but until they start getting adopted, I can see AMD hold off on that move.

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
New ARM SoCs take a long time to go from a finalized design to volume production. OMAP4 was complete more than a year ago and it won't find its way into any products until late this year. If they're just finishing Tegra 3 right now, Tegra 2 should have 12 to 18 months before getting shifted to lower end products.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
It seems to me that Tegra's low adoption rate is due to nVidia's intial position that it would only support Windows CE. I believe they have changed this now, but WTF were they thinking???

popatim

Titan
[citation][nom]Warsaw[/nom]That seems rather fast they are putting these SoCs out.[/citation]
Thats just it, you never see any products. Remember when the tegra phone was first demo'd - never came out and I waited a whole year for it.

Lots of Tegra2 products have been announced. None out yet.

Besides the Zune HD, I cant think of a single real tegra product.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Considering how well the Tegra chips benchmark it would be nice to see the technology in more products than just the Zune HD. Alas I can dream...

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]IM0001[/nom]I am wondering what the problem with Tegra adoption is. The ZuneHD performed great with the Tegra 1. Tegra 2 had places it was going to be and at the last minute looked to be kicked out by an Intel replacement. So why is it so hard for Tegra to break in and find a home? Is it licensing? propitiatory tech? What? I also would like to see and ATI(AMD) chip similar to the Tegra but until they start getting adopted, I can see AMD hold off on that move.[/citation]

The biggest reason it hasn't "broken in" is because it's expensive compared to other SoCs. Generally you only see it in higher-end devices which restricts it to a release once in a blue moon rather than being in every other phone if it were in the mainstream market.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Is the Tegra 3 a new SoC... or is it a rebranded Tegra 2? I heard a rumor that Nvidia likes to do the rebranding thing.You decide![/citation]
Oh yes they do. GTS 250 anyone? That thing was rebranded twice.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing more Tegra chips get into products. Right now it seems like NVIDIA is making the better products of the two major companies, but we'll see if they can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS