Nvidia: Tegra Puts 8 Processors Inside Zune HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I still wished that microsoft added the phone in zune hd. It would compete against Iphone and perhaps, beat the shit out of it.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
This looks promising, I'm looking forward to upgrading, I have had my zune 30g for almost 3 years, and has done me good, save for that one new years day :p

chuckdalton

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I don't care if they put 50 cores in there, I will have to see it work and how user frenidly it is before I'm even tempted to buy it. You can put a porsche engine into a hyunday accent, it will only be a powerful useless car.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If it gets more than 8 hours of battery life this would compete with netbooks. Can't wait for this market to get some competition.

leon2006

Distinguished
Its not the hardware that counts.... Its the real world application that make sense to the daily need of the users.

People that have an IPHONE has no use for this device.

People who are in the immediate need for an upgrade won't bother with this.

Single Do it all hardware is key... The IPHONE is becoming the Universal Portable Device. The IPHONE OS is becoming the next DOS/WINDOWS in the portable multi-media business.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]leon2006[/nom]The IPHONE OS is becoming the next DOS/WINDOWS in the portable multi-media business.[/citation]

Personally I think you're over selling the iphone. In terms of importance Blackberry was huge for making phones more than just phones, but there are a lot of smartphone competetors out there with just as much marketshare. It gets a lot of attention but to compare it to Dos? It needs a much larger marketshare first and don't expect companies to use this as their standard issue phone. In my company the Blackberry is still standard issue.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]chuckdalton[/nom]I don't care if they put 50 cores in there, I will have to see it work and how user frenidly it is before I'm even tempted to buy it. You can put a porsche engine into a hyunday accent, it will only be a powerful useless car.[/citation]Sorry, that is a piss-poor analogy. I would kill to have a Hyundai Accent with a Porsche Engine! That little firecracker in my grannies panties would be one hell of an attraction at a drag strip. =D

Leandri

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I think it honestly has a chance at keeping it's foot in the door as far as the market goes, the features above will at least compete with Apple's iPod Touch lineup (which is basically an iPhone without the phone). I'm interested to see how Microsoft handles addons, media drm, and online capability. It certainly sounds like it has the power to do some of the things a pc can do.

At the very least, we can expect it to take at least a backseat to the iPhone like the Palm Pre has.

G

@ apcahe, what the hell are you talking about? m$ OWNS laptops, they OWN desktops. they have the number one OS market share. Maybe you are refering to the Nvidia and I am missing your point? I for one am excited and will hold off until I read at least ten different reviews from my fav websites. Ars Technica, Toms, Engadget, bOy genius, slashgear, gdgt, wired gadget blog, not too mention a through google news search the day of launch. am I missing any?

leon2006

Distinguished
Simple and Practical application that average people need. Its the bulk of the market.

Nobody cares the cores...

I have both Blackberry and Iphone... There is far more APPS in iphone than the blackberry. The ease of use is one sided...

JAPAN has the most advanced portable HW in the entire world. For the first time in history a foreign brand is on top of the market.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/08/17/apples-iphone-3gs-is-no-1-in-japan/

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I thought that "tegra" originally set out to puta "SOC" or system on a chip, making all of those functions handled by a single uberchip. Hmm... seems they changed their strategy from last year.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
hmm, looks like a waste having all the processors doing specific things? so when I wanna play an awesome game the HD video processor will just sit there doing nothing? would be cool if they were more generalized and could balance the entire load across all the processors?
meh, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]leon2006[/nom]The IPHONE OS is becoming the next DOS/WINDOWS in the portable multi-media business.[/citation]

If I recall correctly you can develop and distribute on DOS/WINDOWS free of charge and scrutiny. this would be a big deal to some people, (like, i dono... Google?). also maybe you will show me how you run two apps at the same time with the iPhone? how you run apps in the background??

also, if you are talking about market penetration, fact of the matter is, the iphoneOS will only ever run on apple products, I would think that android is much more likely to become the dominant mobile OS (or mabey it will just turn into the linux of mobile OSs). at any rate, the most the iphone OS will ever become is the MAC OSX of mobile OSs...

[citation][nom]arsshaw[/nom]@ apcahe, what the hell are you talking about? m$ OWNS laptops, they OWN desktops. they have the number one OS market share. Maybe you are refering to the Nvidia and I am missing your point? I for one am excited and will hold off until I read at least ten different reviews from my fav websites. Ars Technica, Toms, Engadget, bOy genius, slashgear, gdgt, wired gadget blog, not too mention a through google news search the day of launch. am I missing any?[/citation]

Noob. I am refering to nvidia mobile parts - hows about coming out from under that rock and try typing in "nvidia hp compaq problems" into google and taking a look at whats going on

what i was refering to is the sucess rate/surval - will it crash and burn like most other nvidia mobile products, even tho its a different device type/segment etc

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Looks very promising. I just wish they had made a phone of it. The iPhone is a POS, but when it comes to smart phones it's king of the hill. A hill made of solid waste, but it's still on top...

zPhone, ZunePhone... Cmon MS, give us an alternative to (cr)Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.