Nvidia to Integrate ARM Processors in Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Maxwell should see the first integration of ARM cores onto the GPU for Nvidia. It's good to see that's still on track. It's also good to see another hint/confirmation that the next Tegra SOC will have some sort of a unified compute capable GPU, finally moving beyond Nvidia's original mobile GPU architecture.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Well, looks like Nividia has some catchup to do, though I wonder if they would fare better than Intel's history of not-the-greatest GPUs (before the HD4000s).

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
That's pretty clever. This makes it more like a self-contained unit and let it do better traffic copping on the board instead on the main CPU

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]i hope to see the day ARM replacing x86 in the very near future[/citation]
That would take quite a while... x86-64 is still the most popular platform and I think it will stay this way for a long time.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]i hope to see the day ARM replacing x86 in the very near future[/citation]

Standards die hard. There's still a significant amount of software written for x86 compared to ARM, and business software tend to be the vast majority.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... AMD and nVidia implementing ARM now... intel is not... hmm.... AMD and nVidia haz GPU tech, intel haz not... where is this going and will the x86 be just relevant for legacy stuff?

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Tesla is for parallel computing, so will they have hundreds of ARM cores on each chip? That would make the system a lot more flexible. Currently GPUs are good for brute force number crunching, but are slow when it comes to things like if-then statements because a number of cores have to be working on the same instruction at the same time. With ARM cores, you should see much less of a performance hit when branching especially with stuff like branch prediction.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
The only downside is, many developers are still only going to use around four cores. Multicore software is usually harder to design than a singlecore software (deadlocks, etc).

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]bloc97[/nom]That would take quite a while... x86-64 is still the most popular platform and I think it will stay this way for a long time.[/citation]

Not by a long shot. x86-64 is the most popular platform for laptops, desktops and servers. But by far the most popular computing platform is ARM.

There's 25 billion ARM processors produced to date, and over 16 million is shipped every single day.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Interestingly, Apple doesn't seem to be a ARMv8 licensee. Looks like the A6 architecture will be around for a long time.
Wonder how it'll compare to Qualcomm and Samsung's ARMv8 based chips when they're released...

Not me. I feel x86 will remain more powerful and eventually (as Intel tick-tock goes on) more efficient than ARM stuff.

Maybe ARM may occupy the lower end one day, maybe they get this stuff into consoles. PCs will remain x86 for a long, long while. Probably as long as they can keep the die shrinks happening.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
ARM may soon find itself in a position similar to AMD - they will be able to put a huge number of cores on a chip but they will struggle with single-threaded performance. Vast majority of tasks people do on a PC today requires no more than 2 cores.

G

K-zon

It's an interesting idea, basically being able to have the interest of the gpu to be able to do what any computer system does or say do without is probably an interest within to have for a gpu solution in terms of computing.

Especially on interest to say within place of is that of what is probably an interest of computing rather with a gpu or cpu, why not have both in one?

Be like saying otherwise being able to run any application from just the say gpu instance for display only has point or purpose for such when on without has no place more for.

Arm processing essentially would almost cover the topic for given arm processing can consist of about anything to say of for.

Why have a processor on the interest of general computing computing any specific interest for its place of processing when an arm processor for a place of such rather within additional device holding or not can be placed for a use of such, without reliance of support, expansion, and/or extension systems??

Let alone with and/or on a system (seperate) that has a place of use to say for one.

It's a good one, but one that might not find alot of place for use to as such a system as to say.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
AMD has APUs and now Nvidia. It seems to me that in a couple of years we will see a completely different type of market competition in a different field. So x86 (or x86-64 in this case) is no longer going to be the only market. So when we look at x86 realms, we see Intel as the giant but what about ARM world? Intel doesn't either have a competitive "APU" ( or should i say "SoC" to be more precise? )solution nor tools/licenses/wireframe to fight in the ARM world.

G

Intel is a giant...its GPU is not that bad, and Haswell might be better than Kaveri APU...Intel's GPU has improved so much that I don't even know what my next Laptop will be. I'm running an AMD and wanted an AMD, but not sure now. Think I'll just wait and see what Haswell can do. Was thinking Kaveri or even the Kabini! But Haswell seems over 9000!!! =/

Every company has their own unique plan. Intel wants to rule with x86 and their own GPU's, 2013-2014 will say how this goes. AMD wants to integrate everything, 2013 and 2014. Nvidia wants to make a 64bit ARM type APU, 2014 and 2015. But then again, EVERY single ARM technology user is doing that SAME thing! The most unique is AMD mixing it all. But if Intel can pull off the GPU nicely, they can just emulate ARM...since their CPU's are incredible.

I will wait to see what Haswell can do.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]i hope to see the day ARM replacing x86 in the very near future[/citation] Until ARM becomes as powerful as x86 I don't think I'll be replacing x86 any time soon. When it comes to desktops, I think people care more about performance than they do power consumption.

G

Apple may just be the one to take away the x86 and replace it with an ARM 64 processor of their own, and maybe they can put some Custom Made or AMD GPU on the processor! what ever Apple does, the APU and HSA will be the future for low cost ARM based computing! Intel will have to come way down in price to compete with not only AMD x86, but also ARM 64.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Your logic is flawed.[/citation]
ARM doesn't make chips, they design and they sell the license to anyone, unlike x86 which is dominated by intel monopoly

Status
Not open for further replies.