Nvidia To Silently Kill Chipset Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Nvidia killing the chipset division? That's the best news I ever heard.
Maybe they'll finally release the source code for the chipset drivers so we can fix those damn buggy driver they keep giving us.
If I had the money to buy the ULi division and the 3DFX division from them, I would jump on it.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]harrycat88[/nom]Nvidia killing the chipset division? That's the best news I ever heard.Maybe they'll finally release the source code for the chipset drivers so we can fix those damn buggy driver they keep giving us.If I had the money to buy the ULi division and the 3DFX division from them, I would jump on it.[/citation]
Oh,if only.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yeah except that they just made a statement a couple days ago saying the rumour that started @ digitimes was completely false...

G

Well its probably because their chipsets are buggy as hell. Best news Ive heard all day.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]hvypetals[/nom]Well its probably because their chipsets are buggy as hell. Best news Ive heard all day.[/citation]
Not only,but they are slower and hotter,the only real advantage is SLI,and even that's buggy.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
that doesn't make sense...more people are using integrated chipsets now because of the better graphics. Only way to tell would be to find out their profit numbers of chipsets vs. graphics cards...

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Man there sure are alot of Nvidia haters out there. See, the problem I have here is that I have owned an Nforce 2,3 and 4 board, a 680i Sli, and now a 790i Ultra,and have also used both their AMD and Intel based boards. Funny thing is I have never had a problem with any of them. I don't understand what all the hostility is for towards Nvidia chipsets. I have read the forums and seen the complaints about various issues, but it's nothing more than any other chipset being offered on the market currently or in the past. Intel based chipsets have issues as well, as do VIA chipsets, and lets not get started with the problems for ATI/AMD chipsets, which up until recently were basically worthless.

Everyone here needs to remember that every manufacturer out there has released something that didn't quite work to the exact hopes and dreams of every consumer. Yes Intel has made mistakes just as Nvidia has, but the point is not everyone has issues with their boards. I have not any any issues thus far with any board I've used that wasn't fixed by bios updates, and that includes Intel and Nvidia chipsets.

So Nvidia haters stop bashing products that most of you don't even use, or have had minimal experience with. Point is that if you wanted the best graphics available, with SLi support to boot, you had to have Nvidia chipsets, that simple. However this may all change soon.

^Not hating. But the performance of a say 780i compared to a P35 chipset is not there. A P35 chipset OCs better, make better use of the memory bandwidth and so on. As for compared to AMDs chipsets I can't tell.

But nVidias chipsets just are not the best and only have the SLI benefit which right now with ATI cards being the better choice means their sales will not be as high.

But I would doubt nVidia would kill their chipset division as they need money.

lobhob

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Well Nvidia chipsets were always mediocre, they always had that one flaw that people would point out as making them worthless. They always weren't a great competitor of Intel's chipsets because they lacked features that made Intel's good such as oc.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Yeh, from about 2-5 months I was wondering about nV chipset's as AMD is getting serious about thier chipsets and nVIDIA chipset market was about 80% based on AMD CPU's market, the rest for Intel is very limited duo to high-prices and another issues compared to the solid and proved Intel chipsets...

the case is worser now, and now I can said that SLI is going to die unless nVIDIA gave it free and open for both Intel and AMD !!, just nV is too hard on letting any company use SLI with some some greenish chip on the mobo !!

Asinger93

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
... what's with the hostility towards NVIDIA? I have owned 680i SLI and 790i Ultra and had zero problems. they OC just fine, run very cool and, on my boards, have had no problems. I just don't understand this hatred!

Status
Not open for further replies.