Nvidia Will Unify Desktop, Laptop Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]So, they're playing catch-up to ATI (who started this type of program with the March Catalyst 10.3 drivers).[/citation]
Ya except nvidia drivers are 500% better, but yay go ATI you had a cool program for awhile instead of making your drivers better and updated more often.

[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Ya except nvidia drivers are 500% better, but yay go ATI you had a cool program for awhile instead of making your drivers better and updated more often.[/citation]
/|\FANBOY ALERT!!!/|\

I use both and ATI at the start and up past SP1 for Vista had far better and more stable drivers(and more often releases way more often if you have a 8800GTX card and had to wait 9 months for a release to fix all the crashes because they where always releasing new drivers for the newer card). Now days, they are generally on the same level. I do not see a 500% difference anywhere....

wow, i guess you have been living in a cave for a while now, since AMD bought ATI the drivers have been on par with each other (they each have had some slip ups)

pratkal

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Ya except nvidia drivers are 500% better, but yay go ATI you had a cool program for awhile instead of making your drivers better and updated more often.[/citation]

well nvidia driver are better then ati driver by 5% not 500%

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Finally.[/citation]

Why is the same argument used again and again? Same old nvidiot talking points, have you used ati, recently? Drivers are sound. Its like faulting microsoft still for lack of security in windows 95.......

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Does this mean I don't have to wait for Sony to release an official gfx update for my Vaio? Cause they haven't updated it since launch, 2 years ago! I've been running laptop2go hacked drivers to get updates..

ipp

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
So how about older ones? 6 and 7 series Nvidia? My 7900GS on my 3 year old laptop still runs most games, getting a update there too?

G

Most of the desktop drivers already worked on laptops by just adding the device ID string to the inf file anyways.

G

Thanks for posting this Kevin. I was worried I'd rarely see new drivers for my 320M.

[citation][nom]ipp[/nom]So how about older ones? 6 and 7 series Nvidia? My 7900GS on my 3 year old laptop still runs most games, getting a update there too?[/citation]

You can force a desktop driver package onto it provided the original package supports the 7 series etc

the only difference between the desktop and laptop drivers is the list of supported devices listed as VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx&SUB etc which dictates wether your hardware is supported with by the driver or not

about F%^% time they add a few lines in there drivers to actually add support for something, and btw apparently its the OEM's that make nvidia and ati do this - they want only there drivers to work and be supported etc apparently from what iv read.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

500% better at cooking your graphics card.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I see this little thread is going to be dominated by terms like 'nvidiot'.

Last time I checked sites like EA forums, both companies have an assortment of driver issues with fresh games.

[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]so what ..............[/citation]

Do you need a bottle?

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]You can force a desktop driver package onto it provided the original package supports the 7 series etc[/citation]

Can't actually, if I try anything > 180 series on my 7150m I get BSODs. I really hope nvidia stretches back that far with these unified drivers, but I doubt it.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]So, they're playing catch-up to ATI (who started this type of program with the March Catalyst 10.3 drivers).[/citation]
Well, I don't think this is a good example of ATI advancement!

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Great! I'd bought a Gateway with a GTX 260 and was stunned to find that drivers weren't available from gateway other than the ones supplied with the notebook. No updates! In my experience, driver updates are essential for smooth GPU performance.

runbmp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I've had both a Nvidia 260GTX and now have a Ati 5970 and I from my experience Nvidia drivers are exceptionally well implemented and very stable compared to ATI.

I can't same the same with my ATI card... I'll be returning to Nvidia once they get their hardware act together.

This is from my personal experience anyhow.

if its the same computer with the two cards, did you make sure to use drivercleaner in safe mode to get rid of all of the NV drivers before adding the 5970, that can cause issues sometimes

though if you want to talk about personal experience, i have a 4870 (now 2x4870) and have never had a driver crash (or even instability with the GPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.