News Nvidia's biggest Chinese competitor unveils cutting-edge new AI GPUs — Moore Threads S4000 AI GPU and Intelligent Computing Center server clusters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The S2000 was found to be based on IP licensed from Imagination Technologies. I wonder if the S4000 is, as well. If so, also how they're doing on addressing the performance problems?

The S2000 was found to be based on IP licensed from Imagination Technologies. I wonder if the S4000 is, as well. If so, also how they're doing on addressing the performance problems?
I imagine the reason the S4000 isn't really a great challenger to the recent Nvidia offerings is due to that Imagination Tech limitations. Maybe they'll improve on it further with more iterations, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It'll probably be fine for smaller scale and lower performance compute and AI, but I can't see them getting past the sanctioned GPUs performance anytime soon.

Sorry but 2019 tech is not cutting edge. That is a click bait title.
Your wrong, for China this is a big step up in home grown technology and shows that they are catching up with Western technology to be self sufficient, they don't have to better but just as good and once that happens, you can guarantee they will flood the Western markets with mass produced cheap datacenter technology, like they do with all the other markets.

thullet

Prominent
Jan 15, 2023
Nvidia A40 48GB seems to be 695 GB/s, 299 TOPS INT8. With this 48GB 768 GB/s 200 TOPS INT8 they kinda got a direct replacement depending on TDP. Would be really nice to know the price, might be a good option for hobbyists elsewhere too.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nvidia A40 48GB seems to be 695 GB/s, 299 TOPS INT8. With this 48GB 768 GB/s 200 TOPS INT8 they kinda got a direct replacement depending on TDP. Would be really nice to know the price, might be a good option for hobbyists elsewhere too.
If you live in a non-sanctioned country, then your best option at that level is a Nvidia RTX 6000.

48 GB, 960 GB/s, and 1457 TFLOPS (FP8 w/ sparsity) in 300 W. Granted, they're not cheap. $6800, if ordered directly from Nvidia.

Reactions: P.Amini
Status
Not open for further replies.