Nvidia's Faulty GPU Settlement Being Challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
It's not so much what the computer was/is worth, but are the specs the same.
You can't really ask for a laptop of the same value as then you are asking
nV to absorb the depreciation for you. If the specs are the SAME or better, be happy.

Hmm, I filled out the online claim form for my Dell XPS some 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard a peep outta NV since then. I'm printing it out and sending via certified mail this time, since the deadline is March 14. However the deal with Dell laptops is that NV will pay for a replacement GPU, not replace the entire laptop which is good since the Dell is otherwise still an excellent machine with a really sharp 1920 x 1200 display.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]lljones[/nom]It's not so much what the computer was/is worth, but are the specs the same.You can't really ask for a laptop of the same value as then you are asking nV to absorb the depreciation for you. If the specs are the SAME or better, be happy.[/citation]

Well I guess they aren't because people are complaining. CPU might be around same speed with newer craptops but what about display, weight and battery life.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I've only had one nVidia graphics card fail on me.
When they work they work great, but the failure is making me lean toward AMD this round...

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX is AMD cpu with AMD graphics :)) .

Anyway this lawsuit is so typical in US, thats why US is number 1 in stupidity.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX is AMD cpu with AMD graphics ) .Anyway this lawsuit is so typical in US, thats why US is number 1 in stupidity.[/citation]

What 3rd world shit-hole are you from?

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
The range of HP computers was very large. A single core AMD equipted processor, with a 250 GB hard drive, with 2GB of memory is not of equal value to most of the computers involved. It was better than the HP V3000 I purchased, but is not equal or better in value than the a majority of the HP computers effected. I would never but a laptop with a NVidia PGU again, nor would I buy a NVidia graphics card.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]What 3rd world shit-hole are you from?[/citation]

Have you even been outside of the US in non-commericalized(aka cancun, etc) areas for any length of time?

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, I am kind of intrigued that nVidia is offering replacement laptops with AMD graphics. It was a good chance for nVidia to offer laptops with their own graphics to prove that it values its customers and that its cards are good.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX is AMD cpu with AMD graphics ) .Anyway this lawsuit is so typical in US, thats why US is number 1 in stupidity.[/citation]
So why are you visiting a US-based website then?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
US is #1 in stupidity? Do you even know why they are complaining? For all you know the system specs are in fact weaker than those of their original laptops. stfu til you know the whole story please. I see more "stupidity" in ppl like you than in americans; so what country are you from, trying to take the crown for your people?

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
My laptop is a dv2700, which was left out of the lawsuit. I have the same issue (has a geforce 8400 gpu). Never buying HP or Nvidia again. I take care of my stuff and I expect my $1k laptop to last over 2 years.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]So why are you visiting a US-based website then?[/citation]

The site is owned by the BestofMedia group which is a European based corporation - HQ in France I believe.

[citation][nom]lljones[/nom]It's not so much what the computer was/is worth, but are the specs the same.You can't really ask for a laptop of the same value as then you are asking nV to absorb the depreciation for you. If the specs are the SAME or better, be happy.[/citation]

I have to disagree with you. If nVidia provided faulty hardware that kept people from enjoying their money's worth at the time, they should indeed absorb the depreciation, and even the opportunity cost(the cost of not being able to use your money for something else). If you buy something and its delivered an year later, were you not harmed?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]So why are you visiting a US-based website then?[/citation]

THG was founded by a German ( Dr. Thomas Pabst) and has since been sold to a French company (Best of Media Group) !

I guess YOU will leave the site now :)

Cheers,

Peter

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]THG was founded by a German ( Dr. Thomas Pabst)[/citation]

Incidentally, the "Tom" in Tomshardware is from the founder's name of course. "Tom" is a common short version of "Thomas" in Germany.

More cheers,

Peter (a German too) :)

G

As others have pointed out, its not just depreciation. I'm sure that only a few people expect to have a 3-5 year old laptop replaced by a current day 1000usd laptop. What they are asking for is atleast something of equivelent specs.

Lets use one of the dell xps laptops as an example.

8600gt vs 4225 in the hp machine.

Average 3dmark06 score
8600gt 3269
4225 1091

Even the lowly 8400 gets 1326

Also the cpu while a decent single core cpu, is exactly that a single core when im betting almost all the laptops affected atleast had dual cores.

A sandy bridge i3's gpu or one of the new amd fusion chips would have been a much more acceptable replacement. Or if they want to go older some athlon/phenom x2s or c2ds with a 210/310 or 4570/5450/6370 all of which would still be pretty cheap.

jeff47

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hi all I am part of this settlement. I had a HP dv 9000 dual core amd
turion 17" hd display the compaq is single core amd v series which is not half the processor. It is 15 inch low res display. It had problems from the start Hp denied a problem till the warranty ran out. I do believe they owe me the same or better specs than I had.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]THG was founded by a German ( Dr. Thomas Pabst) and has since been sold to a French company (Best of Media Group) !I guess YOU will leave the site now :)Cheers,Peter[/citation]

Epic.

lazy-buntu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Forgive me if I think my $700 laptop should have lasted longer than 2 years, that I thought a replacement of "similar in kind or value" meant "similar in kind or value", and that I spent weeks telling HP I would not pay $256 to put another defective motherboard in my laptop.

Educate yourself as to what we're asking for; read the court dockets themselves before you call us out for being "greedy": http://centerforclassactionfairness.blogspot.com/2011/02/motion-made-in-nvidia-gpu-class-action.html

I don't think it's too much to ask for a dual-core laptop with similar features and the same BRAND as the one I bought. I bought an HP "Entertainment Laptop", which apparently is still a designation in the HP line: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Solutions&v1=Entertainment&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/leftnav_solutions_entertainment

No I don't expect a brand new $700 laptop, but I expect at a minimum a dual-core that benchmarks equal or greater than the 4-year old CPU sitting in the doorstop of a laptop I have now. I waived my rights to take HP or Nvidia to small claims court (and potentially recover 75% of my purchase price out of court, like many have in the past), so I expect a replacement of "similar kind or value" to be exactly that: similar in value--or see the above Entertainment Notebook link for the kind of laptop I bought.

lazy-buntu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I'm not even the worst off within the class. What about the people who bought $1000+ tablet computers? The Compaq and ASUS don't even come close in functionality or value...

G

t's not so much what the computer was/is worth, but are the specs the same.You can't really ask for a laptop of the same value as then you are asking nV to absorb the depreciation for you. If the specs are the SAME or better, be

I bet the auto makers would LOVE to hire you,Why do you think that when they have to buy back a lemon law auto, They have to pay purchase price + sales tax. NVIDIA admitted in 2008 they KNEW there was a problem for some time, therefore it puts it on them from the time the computer was BUILT and depreciation is NOT a factor unless you have a lawyer that needs to spend his nights gathering facts about his case instead of doing the Charlie Sheen scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.