Nvidia's GeForce Experience: Cloud-based Settings Optimizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Also, FPS heavily depends on the gamer. Saw it in action on Saturday. Not that good. Overclocked settings are going to mess with it as well. Not to mention the fact that some gamers are fine with 24 fps and others need 60. I don't see a good future for this unless nVidia is willing to put in a LOT of work.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Sounds intriguing and interesting, but more then at little questionable at the same time. How exactly can it be possible for them to determine what's the optimal setting to the end user is the bottom line when some prefer image quality over performance and vice verse or some semblance of balance between the two?

Manually tweaking settings is really the only way to do so for the true enthusiast tweaker, but I guess they can get it so roughly optimal with their approach using profiles centered around favoring performance or image quality or a balance in between that at the very least could significantly reduce the degree of manual tweaking even a critical person might need or want to perform.

If it's virtually non obtrusive to the end user it should be a great thing is the bottom line I suppose. I'm hoping it can be setup to generally favor performance or image quality or some type of mixed balance between the two, but with the ability to easily override particular games if need be to something different that might be more favorable.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
whats up with corporations thinking its awesome to hold our hands 24/7?!?! I freakin hate this mindset *vomits* Im glad I dont buy nvidia. Cloud service is utter garbage for people who knows what they are doing.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]Also, FPS heavily depends on the gamer. Saw it in action on Saturday. Not that good. Overclocked settings are going to mess with it as well. Not to mention the fact that some gamers are fine with 24 fps and others need 60. I don't see a good future for this unless nVidia is willing to put in a LOT of work.[/citation] Pretty much my concerns on the idea as well, but I'm guessing with profiles to favor end users general desires and the ability to manually override a general preference for peculiarity games it might be a pretty decent thing.

Really if they have a performance, balanced, and quality setting catered to your hardware it might not be that bad a thing at all especially for the non tweaking casual gamer that isn't doing these things to begin with and if they have 1 or 2 more fine tuned setting notches in between performance and balanced or balanced and quality even better and hard to complain about really.

If anything it should give people a good starting point that don't want to take the time to do it or don't know a whole lot about manually tweaking game and graphic settings to suit their needs and desires.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]whats up with corporations thinking its awesome to hold our hands 24/7?!?! I freakin hate this mindset *vomits* Im glad I dont buy nvidia. Cloud service is utter garbage for people who knows what they are doing.[/citation] It's for lazy people and I'm sure it won't be enforced that your required to use it, but optional for those that wish to do so which in no way seems like a bad thing.

It sounds similar to having Tweak Force style custom drivers coming straight from Nvidia catered specifically to individual people's computer specs.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@knowom - Ok if its optional then that is acceptable but if they try to ram it down everybody's face. That would arouse those people into throwing a fit who doesn't want it.

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
“four out of five gamers play games at their default settings,” (*Cough* NOOBS *Cough*).... Sounds like a good idea for new pc gamers but I will have no need for this.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The 4 out of 5 gamers who don't adjust their settings manually probably have less of a preference about quality vs performance. I think this will be a great service for people who pc game that aren't very tech savvy.

G

These optimal settings will most likely only include settings for the most popular AAA titles. For those games, there is already very good in-game settings that even a newbie can adjust to their liking. The only games I would need this for are for games that not only do not have good in games settings, but also refuse the default settings from the control panel.

Some games require very specific settings in order to get things like AA or AO to work properly. These can be done with programs like Nvidia Inspector, but can be difficult to set when you don't know the right flag to trigger it. not only that, you also run the risk of messing up your drivers if do something stupid. Those are the games I would love a nice tweaking program for, but unfortunately these games will probably never be supported by this new application they are developing.

Oh, and cloud sucks donkey balls. I just felt like saying that.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
@Droking

I thumbed you down cause of your completely biased statement, did you not read the article? it clearly states its not for enthusiasts. PC gaming is behind consoles because of its barrier to entry, not everyone is an enthusiast. I am, and i love PC gaming, but frankly anything that helps people have a better experience from the get go is certainly not a bad thing.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@sponger - Yeah and if u seen my 2nd post. You would understand my stance slightly better. I respect any company as long as they offer options. no options = worthless service.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]Also, FPS heavily depends on the gamer. Saw it in action on Saturday. Not that good. Overclocked settings are going to mess with it as well. Not to mention the fact that some gamers are fine with 24 fps and others need 60. I don't see a good future for this unless nVidia is willing to put in a LOT of work.[/citation]
True it will take a lot of work, but say they target 24 fps as their ideal. If you happen to be a user who wants 60 fps, then just turn some settings off. And anyways, if you really need a minimum FPS, then I'm sure you're already tweaking your settings and won't bother to use this service anyways.

SVoyager

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
Personally I like the idea. I do love to manually tweak my games so to have them run at just the right settings for the right amount of fps / image quality with doing some OC to achieve the best performance.

What this would give is a starting point like @knowom said above. From there I would be able to finetune it for my needs, saving some amount of time in the process.

I do understand and respect others that don't want to mess with their configs and just want to play games. They are not necessarily lazy, they just want to play games and have other things to do than spending hours tweaking graphical settings. A bit like the console type of ppl where they put the disk in and play. So this would help them use their setup to its maximum potential without too much hassle and making the games they play even more enjoyable.

I only see positives out of this for both the casual and enthusiast people. I am all for it!

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Terrific idea, but I really have to classify this in the "why didn't anyone think of this sooner" folder.

I mean, really, we've had the internet for a good long while now, no one had considered doing this earlier? lol

G

"four out of five gamers play games at their default settings". Does that mean that only 20% of gamers bother with the nvidia control panel, .ini settings, etc.? Or does it mean that only 20% of gamers bother to change the in-game video settings?

The difference strikes me as massive (the former sounds about right, the latter seems plausible but amazing), though the article doesn't make it clear which meaning was intended.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I would much prefer them to release specific driver stand alone for each generation of their Geforce.

The latest driver seems to be more optimized for Fermi/Kepler for the latest game. but the GTX260+ series/ 9800/8800 are still a decent card for latest console games.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I just wish there was a way you could specify a target fps and the game would continuously alter settings to meet it. I.e., high detail when the action is slow enough that you could enjoy the scenery and lower detail during firefights when responsiveness is critical...

Status
Not open for further replies.