Nvidia's GPU Material Defect Cost $475.9 Million

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Acert93[/nom]Yeah, they didn't learn. They, and their vendors, did a tip toe dance around the issue. They did a measly 12 month extension on warranties and replaced units with the SAME defective chips. I know, my barely 2 year old Dell is has been DEAD for months and Dell/NV smile and say, "Out of warranty" even though Dell admits it is the GPU issue.[/citation]

Granted at the time there was not much else for them to do, replace it with one of the chips they have? One they order from Nvidia that might or might NOT have the same problem?

If the video chip is on the motherboard, not really anything else they can replace it with. Separate video card? Again, is the new chip one of the still bad chips or not?

And few companies are going to upgrade a customer from one laptop to another for problems like this. That is immensely expensive. I dislike Dell and several other big box companies for other issues, but this one was not as easy for them to fix, very expensive, and was Nvidia's bad. I doubt Nvidia would pay HP or Dell for a brand new laptop with an ATI chipset.

G

and I'm still using my Dell equipped with GeForce 8600M and typing this comment from it, a supposedly flawed GPU that has been in use since 2007. There are a lot of variation in chips manufactured and this problem does not affect every one. Remember Nvidia is a fabless chipmaker (i.e. Nvidia doesn't manufacture chips and most of Nvidia engineers know little about chip manufacturing and materials). Material-related problem like this costly is partly if not largely the fault of the manufacturing partner.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
A thought came in my mind the other day regarding NVIDIA's current situation...what if things get worst for NVIDIA and they declare bankruptcy...bad enough, I know...but let's say that Intel decides that they want to buy NVIDIA...could you imagine the "storm" that would follow? Maybe I'm over-thinking this too much, but it could happen.

da_syentist

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I work in a computer repair shop , and the most affected laptop is the HP DV9000 series , they simply just all die ! If i see one client that come by at my shop with one of those in their hands , i dont even have to look at it , i already know that it's dead ! nVidia tried to hide the problem but for right now , I dont recommend their product because of all the defects !!!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I removed my graphics card and I'm now using integrated graphics so I don't waste more time on games.[/citation]
Stop wasting time commenting on articles!

gewehr37

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
[citation][nom]arfrxz[/nom]I'm one of the victim. RIP G84 GPU.[/citation]
yah, i am in arizona, so i'm getting a 5870 :D; and say hello to 39+oC for all summer

[citation][nom]da_syentist[/nom]I work in a computer repair shop , and the most affected laptop is the HP DV9000 series , they simply just all die ! If i see one client that come by at my shop with one of those in their hands , i dont even have to look at it , i already know that it's dead ! nVidia tried to hide the problem but for right now , I dont recommend their product because of all the defects !!![/citation]

Yes and no. I have a DV9000 that was a 'donate' laptop. It had soda spilt on the screen. Replaced that, the inverter and cleaned it up and its good to go. But there is a rwason why my DV9000 isn't going to die. Its a 6150LE GPU.

But there was a massive recall on the DV6-9 series or laptops with the 8000 series GPUs. Sad thing is that HP fights the customers. Had a guy whos laptop was on the list of bad ones and they said he would have to pay to have his mobo replaced when it was clearly under the recall.

Maybe nVidia will earn from all this, maybe not. They seem stubborn sometimes.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I wonder when I get my piece of the cake. After all, I own an 8600M GT and I am not sure how much service it is even going to ever give me.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]beans4you[/nom]lots of haters here lol I'm still rocking a geforce4 420 go! in my old laptop. thing can play WOW haha.. but on the serious side, NO NO my gtx480 will NOT die, it cant.. :s I just went through a 35 degree summer as well! but air conditioning is in play also.. and YES IT DOES GET HOT IN CANADA. besides the point sucks for you guys with the problematic chips.. sometimes you cant half ass a product and nvidia learned the hard way. Congrats, maybe they'll actually make some good quality chips from now on!.. ps. gtx 480 runs 35 to 70 degrees C with the air conditioning off. it went to 110 C with a freeze in cod6.. hacker ****'s and thats where it froze, i dont know about 3 way sli but 110 C sounds a little crazy.[/citation]
Are you sure 35-70 is temperature inside GPU chip ?
As far as I know Nvidia have several temperature sensors which have quite bit of variety in temperature. 8800GTX was my last nvidia card and it was peaking about 103 degrees when fully loaded for longer period of time and thats in case with good airflow.

G

I bought an HP9000 from Costco which experienced the video failure just 4 days after the expiration of the warranty, and no help from either Costco or HP. Too bad, they say. So, I will NEVER buy another computer from either Costco or HP, and NEVER buy anything with an NVIDIA chip in it ever again. My new ASUS runs cool, provides good response, and a solid, 2-year world-wide warranty.

HP - NEVER AGAIN!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Doubt anything is going to actually change with Nvidia. They play with their products, their names and their end-users. You don't know what you're getting with an Nvidia product.

G

Dunno if this problem also affected the 8800mgts, my gateway 6860fx died just as the warranty expired. I've been baking the motherboard in the oven (i know heat guns are a "better" less crude solution) to re-flow the solder for the past few months and it has been working for me, so if you have a busted video card in one of your laptops try it. Either way I am not buying another Nvidia product because of this.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]Let's hope they learn from their mistakes and move on.[/citation]
And the other chip manifactures take note not to cut corners when under time or cost pressure.

freemarketcapitalist

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]GeFail is the best way to describe it while Grillforce does the job for most. A stocked clocked GTX480 wouldn't last long in my climate and this summer has been the hottest in a long time thanks to extra solar activity. 30-35c is common while in the city near paved areas its hot enough to fry eggs. You know its bad when one walks out of a aircon building and can feel the heat through my boots right away. The worst heat index value that we have had thus far this summer was a scorching 47c and that was only three weeks ago! Todays forecast is 39c :s[/citation]

You must not be to far from me. We have had the same temps here this summer. I havent had any cooling issues with my card though. My ac does it's job. I also have the antec 1200 case.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Love the picture!

My wife is a beneficiary of a small piece of that $400+ million. Her HP laptop died due to a bad IGP, after warranty, but HP had issued a special repair warranty for this particular problem and fixed it for free, including shipping both ways. They did right by their customers (her), and as a result I probably would consider buying an HP laptop again. Unless an ASUS model were available for less / with better features of course.

G

I'd go ATI everytime, best value for money and best performance. They manage to use smaller dies, and still keep the temp down. And not only does ATI support 3D vision, they have had multi-monitor support for years!

dodo4u

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
after paying such amount n having gr8 lose hope they overcome all this n regain their spot back....

G

Hey!!! I was just repairing my friends HP dv2000 because of that specific issue!!! OMG what a coincidence!!!!

G

I am a computer tech. and recently had a customer with a Gateway desktop with 6140 chipset integrated video that had failed, no video. Documentation on the internet shows that this defect affects desktops with the 6140 integrated video, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.