Nvidia's New Titan Xp Graphics Card Unlocks The GP102's Full Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Looking at the GFLOPs on the chart, I'm going to guess the Xp is the only card that should be labeled with Tflops, and the others are Gflops. 'Cuz, uh... a 10,000-Tflop card would, a) be incredible, and b) cost more than a 10-Tflop one.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
If this isn't the card that AMD's Vega intends to contend with, then this time next month I will be joining team green (not with this card of course).

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Man, AMD just can't catch a a break in the high-end GPU market with NVIDIA pushing out these things regularly. I'm partial to NVIDIA but would love to see some competition. I guess we may see what the first Vega-based offerings looks like in the next month or two, and I hope it is a high-value competitor to the GP102-based units from NVIDIA.

Colin_10

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Do they (AMD) really need to compete at the ultra high end? There may not be enough financial incentive to do so. For AMD keeping up in the middle ground where most buyers are looking probably makes more sense.

There might not be but it affects their marketing they cant claim to have the fastest etc etc...

Matt1685

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
It's 13% faster than the 1080 Ti in both processing power and memory bandwidth. It's just a matter of having the power headroom to use it.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
LOL!!! So we finally are seeing what the First Titan should have been. I guess Nvidia had a year to salvage enough chips to finally release the true Titan King of the hill card. They will charge you all of your body parts for this thing that is a given.

You know Nvidia is worried about what AMD has got with Vega that's for sure. I do not think Vega will be fast enough to beat this card but at the same time it is not supposed to this card will be priced in a totally different league but people will go oh the new Vega does not beat the new Titan it is slow forgetting that the Vega card will mot likely be $500-$700 cheaper. The card Vega should be or will be hopefully be pitted against is the 1080 Ti because they are going to be priced closer more alike.

So I guess we will see how the review sites spin this. If they do like they did with Ryzen Vega is in trouble for sure if it don't beat a card that costs hundreds of dollars more. If you don't know what I am talking about Ryzen being pitted against i7 7700K@5Ghz when AMD themselves more than once labeled their chip more of a workstation chip that was more than beefy enough to take on chips like the 6900K in workstation related stuff but could also game pretty good too. But the review sites oh the chip sucks because the 7700K@5ghz beats it in gaming well DUH of coarse it would and should it is running 1Ghz faster when both are overclocked and in games clock speed and IPC are king.

Back to Nvidia they lost my sale for a 1080 Ti because they dragged their butts releasing it I had the $1200CAD to buy it back in the fall of 2016 right up until christmas 2016 when it did not come I bought myself a new 60 inch TV instead and am very glad that I did.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

At nearly twice the cost. I really want the fastest card possible to drive my Vive, but not at that price.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Could be the chart is using European numeric notation. In Europe, they flip the use of the "," & "." for decimal & placeholder notations.
-- US notation: 12,000.00 GFLOPS vs. 10,609.00 GFLOPS, or 12.000 TFLOPS vs. 10.609 TFLOPS
-- European notation: 12.000,00 GFLOPS vs. 10.609,00 GFLOPS, or 12,000 vs. 10,609 TFLOPS

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Did we mention 6 months ago that your Titan Pascal costing 1200$ will be beaten by a 700$ card and then we pull out another 1200$ that beats it even more ?

nevarran

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I thought I would wait for MSI or EVGA's 1080Ti to become available here in Italy, but the closest thing I get is a pre-order at amazon.co.uk. Now this beast seems available for purchase at Nvidia's store. Hmmm, I'm tempted. But are these 10% performance increase worth an extra 400 euro?...

that might be the case but AMD must also have interest to serve the high end because the profit margin will be a whole lot better on the high end. last year gaming hardware revenue mostly coming from high end segment. the mid range probably have the most volume though.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

It gets worse, if they don't have high end offerings then the developers won't use them when making games, and it would follow that would start effecting their partnerships with developers, and in turn overall gaming performance for their platform.

heck if you look current situation nvidia still have no reason to release 1080ti. because the fact is AMD still not coming out with a card that can even compete with GTX1080! nvidia have to slow down their release to maximize their profit. same with AMD. instead of aggressively coming out with new generation of card each year now they use two year cadence for releasing their flagship. and in between they release rebrands to "refresh" their line up.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

Why would game developers worry about a card almost no one will use? AMD targetted the area most people are buying in. They also have at least one card coming out that aims for the higher end. But overwhelmingly, people are buying entry-level and mid-level cards.

This is like saying "Why would you open a gas station that doesn't have 94 Octane, aren't you worried Ferrari owners won't come?"

InvalidError

Titan

Most developers don't target their games for ultra-high-end GPUs, they focus on on their recommended spec and that usually is many notches below top-end, usually in the GTX 1050-1070, RX460-480 range and equivalents. While AMD may not need a Titan Xp equivalent, it definitely needs one or two steps above the RX480 to cover the higher end of the mainstream.

So you are saying if AMD doesn't make a Vega GPU that trades blows with the Titan Xp, a GPU you say you wont buy assuming for cost reasons, you are going with a cheaper Nvidia GPU even if its slower than the same priced Vega card? Your logic is impeccable. /s

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
c4s2k3 Apr 6, 2017, 8:24 AM : Maybe thats the point, they are pretty much flooding the market with news about their Titan or normal cards, they want to flood all news with news about Nvidia and nothing of AMD.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

They didn't need to. People buying a Titan X for gaming better be informed enough to know that a Ti will be coming with a much lower price. They either spend that money to be the first to have a GPU that powerful, or they have more money than brains, and can afford to throw it around on expensive hardware as often as they want.

Considering game development time which is usually 2-5 years i would think they would target top end for AAA titles and by the end of development time they would be mid tier card performance.

Ahmed_392

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
This doesn't even tell you how much memory is on the card? That is the most basic stat you need for deep learning. UNINFORMATIVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.