Nvidia's ''Project Denver'' is to Make a PC CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
But... I don't understand what ARM CPU technology has to do with an "Internet Everywhere" era... Can't such an era develop just as easily without ARM CPU's? And wouldn't a successful ARM based CPU integration with nVidia graphics be useful in many other sollutions too? I just don't see the relation between the two points. Perhaps I do not understand what Internet Everywhere really means.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
I wouldn't worry about not understanding the thinking of Jen-Hsun Huang, trust me you're in good company. He could just purse his lips and move his finger over the top of them for all the sense he seems to make sometimes, it seems to work for Steve Ballmer very well :)

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Awesome news, the more companies making the same product the lower the prices will get bwahaw.

Just wish Intel would give Nvidia a x86 license, but Intel doesn't like competition..

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Should they succeed, they will be confined to Linux based systems, I don't think Microsoft will port Windows 7/8 to ARM anytime soon.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]juliom[/nom]Should they succeed, they will be confined to Linux based systems, I don't think Microsoft will port Windows 7/8 to ARM anytime soon.[/citation]

actually windows 8 is going to be arm compatibile, there was an article about that here on tom's hardware

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Sorry, did not know about that :p But you still have the issue of ARM compatible applications, not just the OS itself.

G

interesting combine say a 4 core /8 core arm cpu and a gf580 and let the graphic card do most calculation and it will be interesting ,isn´t Amd planning something like that to?

G

"While thus far the ARM technology has been confined to smartphone and tablets,"
actually, ARM was initially designed for PCs, a long time ago (google Acorn Risc Machine).

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
[citation][nom]juliom[/nom]Sorry, did not know about that But you still have the issue of ARM compatible applications, not just the OS itself.[/citation]

You din't watch the Microsoft keynote yesterday...
they demonstrate Windows 8 on ARM (and others) technologies. Office 2010 need to be recompiled to support this CPU, but there are other applications working without any change.
And its fast!!!! :)

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Allow me to translate. Internet Everywhere is code for, hey everyone likes that Internet right? Well you're going to love this CPU! It's similar to how a salesman who's wiping out will ask if you would catch a life saver if your were drowning just to get you in agreement again. I'm guessing he must be a much better engineer than a marketer. That aside, I'm very excited to see Intel having a prospect of competition. They've been dragging their feet far too long. Where's my 5Ghz already?

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Wow this is some serious not news!
Anyone know what Tegra is? Oh wait that's right, an ARM based CPU!

Let me know when they start making games for ARM. Till then this is no more news than Motorola making a PowerPC CPU.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Potentially? With competition in the cpu market gradually rising again, I wonder if Intel will kick Nvidia out from being in their products for a while.
I begin to wonder if Intel/AMD/Nvidia are going to the same meeting, it's exactly like Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony with their motion mechanics. Although Nintendo had more time spent with it, they still managed to upgrade the controller with a 'second generation' before Microsoft and Sony released their motion controls. Just the same, Intel has had integrated graphics in their cpu line, but managed to make a second generation before AMD and Nvidia can release their line of new gpu/cpu technology.
Either this is just pure coincidence, a race to achieve the best tech, or a plot.

chronium

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]willgart[/nom]You din't watch the Microsoft keynote yesterday...they demonstrate Windows 8 on ARM (and others) technologies. Office 2010 need to be recompiled to support this CPU, but there are other applications working without any change.And its fast!!!![/citation]

Don't forget Nvidia was one of the companies that Microsoft said they were working with for their ARM compatibility.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]But... I don't understand what ARM CPU technology has to do with an "Internet Everywhere" era... Can't such an era develop just as easily without ARM CPU's? And wouldn't a successful ARM based CPU integration with nVidia graphics be useful in many other sollutions too? I just don't see the relation between the two points. Perhaps I do not understand what Internet Everywhere really means.[/citation]
Probably has to do with ARM's low power consumption, which allows it to fit in almost any electronic device ranging from desktops, to laptops, to netbooks, to tablet pc's, to smartphones, and even to regular phones.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Tamz_msc[/nom]ARM needs a significant boost in performance before it can compete with x86 CPUs.[/citation]
1- that's what Nvidia is doing,
2- Especially when they combine their GPU's with the ARM CPU, some sort of cuda technology, that will be blazing fast on multi threaded app.
Single or dual threaded apps will be limited to the ARM CPU speed, but once we're talking about multithreading apps with 16, 32, perhaps 196 threads, these programs will fly, even on a smartphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.