News Nvidia's Revenue Drops as Ada Lovelace Looms and Hopper Enters Production

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
“We will get through this [inventory correction] over the next few months and go into next year with our new architecture,”

Does this indicate they will be holding Lovelace back until 2023?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't think they will hold back LoveLace and just vague or non specific statements meant to quell the fears of investors. It's not really in their best interest to hold back LoveLace since the boom of sales of the new GPU will improve their earnings as opposed to the continued drop. But you never know. I for one will wait for the 4000 series, regardless of how cheap the 3000's are.

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Based on NVDA's own projection, its data center business is going to go down next quarter, it is not clear its future quarter business will grow either when Intel has its Sapphire Rapids and future generation to go into the market. Intel has already said its products are performing better than both AMD and NVDA's product; besides, Intel has already announced it Ponte Vecchio GPU for server is out, a strong competition to NVDA's Lovelace GPU. Because it is a tile architecture, it is cheaper to make, albeit it requires more equipment to assemble the tiles together. It will be interest to see how the GPU market to play out in the future when Intel push its dGPU into the market, with Intel’s low-price strategy to gain market share, both AMD and NVDA will be affected.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Nvidia took full advantage of that seller's market fueled by crypto and scalpers. I don't think they've adjusted to the buyer's market yet. Overpriced 30-series cards are clogging up shelves and stockrooms here. Comical seeing companies like Asus and MSI advertise $100 off MSRP, yet the selling price is still above the Nvidia founders' edition MSRP. Nvidia's revenue is still healthy, and 40-something percent margins seem really high to me.

I expect gamers to keep holding out for better deals. There aren't any big games releasing in the next 6 months. Best to wait until 2023 to think about that graphics upgrade. Nvidia made everyone -- except the streamers and influencers -- wait 2 years. I think 6 more months is no big deal.

“We will get through this [inventory correction] over the next few months and go into next year with our new architecture,”

Does this indicate they will be holding Lovelace back until 2023?
No. Elsewhere, Jensen says they'll reveal the next generation Ada architecture next month, on September 20. Most likely the hardware will launch by early October, though I suspect it will only be the 4080 and up launching this year. Maybe 4070 will launch by December, but I don't expect an RTX 4060 until 2023 sometime, and probably RTX 4050 won't come out until late 2023.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
No. Elsewhere, Jensen says they'll reveal the next generation Ada architecture next month, on September 20. Most likely the hardware will launch by early October, though I suspect it will only be the 4080 and up launching this year. Maybe 4070 will launch by December, but I don't expect an RTX 4060 until 2023 sometime, and probably RTX 4050 won't come out until late 2023.
That's good. I'm really excited to see how RDNA3 works out and how the battle plays out at the top end.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Isn't September 20th his GTC keynote? Why would Nvidia launch a gaming GPU there? GTC is an AI conference and the title of his keynote is "AI strategy for Business Leaders." That doesn't sound very Geforcey. Any architecture he talks about is likely to be more on Hopper. Nvidia doesn't like sharing the spotlight with others when announcing new Geforce generations. They're likely to pick their own day outside of any major conference to announce Ada.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Are these articles written in a language other than English and then run through Google translate for the English site without proofreading before publishing? This is one paragraph from the article:

“With respect to Hopper, we are in full production now and we are racing to get Hoppers to all of the CSPs (cloud service providers) who are who are dying to get it,” said Huang. It goes with our HGXs, which is multiple Hoppers on a on a system tray. It is really a supercomputer on the in the motherboard if you will and it goes along with networking gear and switch gear. There are enormous amounts of resources applied from all of the CSP’s around the world and ourselves to to get Hopper to them. We expect to ship substantial [number of] Hoppers in Q4.”

How is it possible someone proofread this article and missed every one of those mistakes in just one paragraph?

Are these articles written in a language other than English and then run through Google translate for the English site without proofreading before publishing? This is one paragraph from the article:

How is it possible someone proofread this article and missed every one of those mistakes in just one paragraph?
I believe Anton used a transcription of what Jensen said, and whoever edited it didn't fix things that were off. If you've ever heard Jensen talk, he'll often repeat phrases or stop mid-sentence and then restart. But I'll go proof it now and give it a proper edit...

(And Anton's not a native English speaker, or at least that's not his first language. More like... third? I know he speaks Russian fluently, and he's from Estonia.)
Isn't September 20th his GTC keynote? Why would Nvidia launch a gaming GPU there? GTC is an AI conference and the title of his keynote is "AI strategy for Business Leaders." That doesn't sound very Geforcey. Any architecture he talks about is likely to be more on Hopper. Nvidia doesn't like sharing the spotlight with others when announcing new Geforce generations. They're likely to pick their own day outside of any major conference to announce Ada.
Nvidia has launched GPUs at various events over the years, and if Ada starts at the extreme performance end of the spectrum and also targets ProViz (similar to RTX 3090/3090 Ti), it's not a terrible venue to do so. Plus, Jensen explicitly stated, "We will get through this [inventory correction] over the next few months and go into next year with our new architecture. I look forward to telling you more about it at GTC next month." Since he had just talked about Hopper H100, and we already know a lot about H100, he's obviously referring to Ada.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Nvidia has launched GPUs at various events over the years, and if Ada starts at the extreme performance end of the spectrum and also targets ProViz (similar to RTX 3090/3090 Ti), it's not a terrible venue to do so. Plus, Jensen explicitly stated, "We will get through this [inventory correction] over the next few months and go into next year with our new architecture. I look forward to telling you more about it at GTC next month." Since he had just talked about Hopper H100, and we already know a lot about H100, he's obviously referring to Ada.
You're predicting game benchmarks and Ada launch lineup announcement at GTC? I'd be willing to bet money that's not going to happen. He could announce the Ada architecture and how it performs in AI, but that would be largely irrelevant to gamers. I don't see a 4090 being announced either as that would steal pretty much all the thunder from a future announcement for gamers. Maybe they announce the briefly rumored 48GB monster as a Titan for professionals in the same vein as the Titan V CEO Edition that had no relevance to gamers due to cost and Volta never getting proper DX drivers for games.

You're predicting game benchmarks and Ada launch lineup announcement at GTC? I'd be willing to bet money that's not going to happen. He could announce the Ada architecture and how it performs in AI, but that would be largely irrelevant to gamers. I don't see a 4090 being announced either as that would steal pretty much all the thunder from a future announcement for gamers. Maybe they announce the briefly rumored 48GB monster as a Titan for professionals in the same vein as the Titan V CEO Edition that had no relevance to gamers due to cost and Volta never getting proper DX drivers for games.
Benchmarks? No, not really. A full lineup revealed? Probably not. But He'll talk about the high-end 48GB Titan or whatever, probably the RTX 4090 and maybe even the RTX 4080. They'll reveal the price as well, and they'll provide quite a bit of detail on the Ada architecture itself and how that advances the state of the GPU.