News Nvidia's RTX 3090 Has Apparently Sold More Units Than AMD's Entire RX 6000 Series Lineup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Well you explained it beautifully all by yourself, they sold extremely well to scalpers and AIB's , even if nobody bought any card from a scalper, where do you think that those AIB systems end up at?!
An AIB with an 3090 is only going to end up at a gamer and then show up in steam.
Also the ratio in march was 19:1 in favor of nvidia and it dropped to 11:1 now, so it's not like AMD is doing badly, they basically doubled their percentage in the last 5 months.
Also, for anyone following the Newegg shuffles. For the first few months, it was practically all Nvidia GPU's. Who knows where AMD GPU's were going, but if a retailer as large as Newegg wasn't getting any, none of the other retailers were either. I've not heard of anyone getting an RDNA 2 GPU from Best Buy, while many including myself have gotten Nvidia GPU's from them.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Steam doesn't ask. They already receive basic system information when client log into their servers.
Incorrect!
Steam asks you if you would like to participate upon which they show you a screen of what your systems specs are and then asks you once again of it is ok to send it.
It also collects info on all input/output devices you have connected.

wow. who cares if nvidia sell more 3090 than the entire RX6000 series combined or how unreliable steam hardware survey is. if you look at numbers from the likes for Jon Peddie we know nvidia own 80% of discrete GPU market now. doesn't matter if most of them are go to miner or not. it doesn't make what ever card you are having right now end up being bad. the one that hate to see stuff like this most often were those AMDiot? i know some of them want to believe that right now AMD is outselling nvidia when it comes to DIY market. so when there are news such as this it rubs them in a wrong way. like how steam is being paid to show nvidia dominance in hardware survey by only asking people with nvidia GPU to skew the actual numbers of people with AMD GPU or something.

wow. who cares if nvidia sell more 3090 than the entire RX6000 series combined or how unreliable steam hardware survey is. if you look at numbers from the likes for Jon Peddie we know nvidia own 80% of discrete GPU market now. doesn't matter if most of them are go to miner or not. it doesn't make what ever card you are having right now end up being bad. the one that hate to see stuff like this most often were those AMDiot? i know some of them want to believe that right now AMD is outselling nvidia when it comes to DIY market. so when there are news such as this it rubs them in a wrong way. like how steam is being paid to show nvidia dominance in hardware survey by only asking people with nvidia GPU to skew the actual numbers of people with AMD GPU or something.
You sound really salty, renz; you ok? XD

Also, it is important as the Steam survey, like it or not, is public and available to everyone. It would be nice to know how exactly they collect it, sure, and it may not be perfect, but it's a good thing to have.

I dislike nVidia's practices and that's why I don't like the company and brand, but I can't deny the 3090 is a nice product if you can afford it... Well, when it does't combust :D

All in all, this is just sensationalism. I can see AMD being sold at high prices here in the EU, but not as high as nVidia stuff. Ironically, the 6900XT over here is closer to the MSRP than the nVidia lineup. In fact, I got my 6900XT for the price of a 3080, so I won't complain :p

Regards.

Reactions: Krotow and Phaaze88
You sound really salty, renz; you ok? XD

Also, it is important as the Steam survey, like it or not, is public and available to everyone. It would be nice to know how exactly they collect it, sure, and it may not be perfect, but it's a good thing to have.

I dislike nVidia's practices and that's why I don't like the company and brand, but I can't deny the 3090 is a nice product if you can afford it... Well, when it does't combust :D

All in all, this is just sensationalism. I can see AMD being sold at high prices here in the EU, but not as high as nVidia stuff. Ironically, the 6900XT over here is closer to the MSRP than the nVidia lineup. In fact, I got my 6900XT for the price of a 3080, so I won't complain :p

Regards.

salty? nah. i was surprise people take this way too seriously. some people are upset because some survey are saying 3090 might be selling much better than the entire RX6000 combined? honestly even i don't believe that. also as i said for some people article like this rub them in the wrong way so we end up having a long thread because of it. personally i see both AMD and nvidia as a business. if we talk about practice i don't think one is better than the other.

InvalidError

Titan
I took my dog on a walk and saw 3 Ford pickups, a Mustang, and a Toyota Corolla. Headline: "Ford Now Outselling Toyota 4 to 1"
That is only a sample size of five. The Steam survey probably has a sample size over a million.

There could be some intrinsic bias such as Nvidia card owners being more likely to own more Steam games and have their Steam client open when the survey is being updated.

D

Deleted member 14196

Just remember what Samuel Clemens said about statistics
images

deesider

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2017
salty? nah. i was surprise people take this way too seriously. some people are upset because some survey are saying 3090 might be selling much better than the entire RX6000 combined? honestly even i don't believe that. also as i said for some people article like this rub them in the wrong way so we end up having a long thread because of it. personally i see both AMD and nvidia as a business. if we talk about practice i don't think one is better than the other.
Yeah it is funny how some people need validation of their own purchasing choices. As if the popularity of a major tech brand somehow reflects upon them personally.

Reactions: renz496

deesider

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2017
That is only a sample size of five. The Steam survey probably has a sample size over a million.

There could be some intrinsic bias such as Nvidia card owners being more likely to own more Steam games and have their Steam client open when the survey is being updated.
Or maybe all the Radeon cards were being RMA'ed at the time of the survey (just kidding of course, given the recent 3090 burnouts)

Realistically, I think the survey results simply reflect that AMD's commitment to the console market used up all of their TSMC allotment.

Aug 6, 2021
The Nvidia card has been selling since last year where the AMD cards are much more recent. It takes time for enough cards to be sold to reach the minimum requirement on Steam. So all we are seeing is the time lag it takes for buyers to buy GPUs. So this stat is completely meaningless.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD has to source the parts from someone else. I can't imagine Samsung bending over backward to satisfy its needs.
They wouldn't have to. AMD is selling so few GPU's to begin with, they shouldn't have any issue sourcing RAM. AMD themselves have made no statements that they are having problems getting RAM while they have about other materials/parts.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The Nvidia card has been selling since last year where the AMD cards are much more recent. It takes time for enough cards to be sold to reach the minimum requirement on Steam. So all we are seeing is the time lag it takes for buyers to buy GPUs. So this stat is completely meaningless.
RDNA2 cards starting rolling out in the middle of November, only about 6 weeks after RTX 30 cards.

RDNA2 cards starting rolling out in the middle of November, only about 6 weeks after RTX 30 cards.

yeah. the 30 series only have 1 month plus lead over the RX6000 series. funny thing is i remember the talk late last year about how by the end of 2020 AMD will going to sell a lot more RX6000 series than nvidia RTX30 series because RX6000 won't have the same supply issue.

You can't buy any Nvidia or AMD GPUs right now unless you're an industry insider because they are selling all of their production to the crypto miners. Yes, you could buy the ones that are being sold for 3-6 times the MSRP, but who in their right mind would do that?
Yep. And another thing to consider here is that the 3090 is a poor value for mining, at least going by initial pricing. It's barely faster than a 3080 for either mining or gaming, but launched with an MSRP over twice as high. So, it wasn't as attractive to miners, resulting in availability being better for gaming systems.

It largely fills the role of what would have been marketed as a "Titan" card in the past, which typically don't sell anywhere near as well as the more "mainstream" cards, being more of a niche product for those willing to pay a huge premium for slightly more performance. But with all upper-mid-range and better cards marked up to Titan-level pricing, the less price-conscious individuals who are willing to buy a card for gaming at those prices are probably going to be more likely to spend a bit more to get the best available option, making the 3090 sell better for gaming than it would have otherwise.

And since the 3090 uses the same graphics chip as the 3080 cards, just with more cores enabled, it's in Nvidia's best interest to direct as many chips that can pass as a 3090 toward those cards (or now the 3080 Ti) where they can make more profit-per-chip, whereas they might have otherwise sold more 3090-capable chips for use in 3080s under more typical market conditions. That likely contributes to making 3080 availability worse.

Why are the AMD fans having a tizzy fit over this? AMD supplies all the GPUs and CPUs to the Xbox X and PS5. They can only get a certain number of chips made. They are Prioritizing the Game Consoles. Nvidia can send more resources to Video Cards. AMD is great, Nvidia is great.
And not only that, AMD needs to also split their 7nm production at TSMC with their currently-popular CPUs. As far as their profit per wafer goes, the large console chips are not likely making them much money, but they need to devote a large chunk of their manufacturing capacity to those orders, as they were undoubtedly arranged with Microsoft and Sony years in advance. Graphics card chip profitability is probably somewhat better, but they are likely being sold to board partners at previously agreed-upon prices, so profitability will be limited there as well. The partners have the option of selling their cards at marked up prices to scalpers or mining operations, but AMD wouldn't be seeing additional profit from that.

Their CPUs, on the other hand, should have far higher profit margins than either, especially with AMD currently leading the market in terms of performance and efficiency, and primarily targeting the higher-end of that market as a result. So it makes sense that any available production capacity that they are not contractually obligated to provide will be put toward their CPUs. So, the graphics card chips are likely getting squeezed out as a result, with only limited production being directed toward them, and it's not surprising to see the market share of Radeon 6000-series cards being relatively low.

For an idea of how profitability compares, the Ryzen 5600X and 5800X are $300-$450 parts, and only require a single 80mm 7nm chiplet, in addition to an IO chip built on the less-expensive and less-limited 12nm process. The Radeon 6800/6800XT/6900XT, on the other hand, require a massive 520mm 7nm chip, around 6.5 times the size of a Ryzen chiplet. And even the more mid-range 6600XT requires a 237mm chip, roughly 3 times the size. And while a finished CPU mostly just consists of the chips and their packaging, sold directly to OEMs or retail, a graphics card chip is sold to card manufacturers who need combine it with VRAM and a lot of other parts to produce a finished card. So while a 6600XT might have a similar MSRP to a single-chiplet Ryzen processor, the cost to produce its chip will be much higher, and AMD won't be able to sell that chip for as much, despite its larger size. So, it doesn't really make sense for AMD to produce any more graphics card chips than the bare minimum that they have to at the moment.

As for the console chips, those are 309mm for the PS5 and 360mm for the Series X, around 4-4.5 times the size of a Ryzen chiplet, and considering that the entire consoles are being sold for not much more than the price of a 3800X or 6600XT, those chips undoubtedly have the lowest profit margins. I suspect AMD might regret having taken on such large orders for them at a time when they may not have been sure how competitive their current PC lineup would be in terms of performance relative to their competitors. Then again, perhaps they consider it worthwhile to keep the console manufacturers using their hardware, in case they happen to fall behind in the future when they might see more benefit from a steady, albeit low supply of income from the console market.

Reactions: renz496

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

Of course "size matters", but my point is that it was not a random sample. People tend to forget that the "magic" of statistical inference only works if the sample is both significant in size and is truly random. Randomness in this case was left out because the sample selection method was heavily weighted toward Nvidia. The final conclusion may somehow be true, but it was not supported by any statistical analysis, because their methodology was flawed.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
How do you know this?
I personally do not know. Perhaps I misspoke a bit, but the consensus from the article and from the comments is that a majority of cards being used for mining are AMD cards which means a lower percentage of sold AMD cards are used for gaming. This lowers the chance that a given AMD card ever appears on Steam. By how much, who knows, but once there is a flaw it has to be accounted for or the results are not very compelling. I guess you could say that there are other possible uses for either Nvidia or AMD cards that will also not show up in Steam such as cards used exclusively for animation or building an AI engine or whatever. The conclusion of the article is that Nvidia is outselling AMD overall, but actually it only shows them outperforming AMD with cards used for PC gaming, but not overall sales. Perhaps Nvidia has outsold AMD overall as well, but the survey alone does not show this.

Reactions: deesider

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I personally do not know. Perhaps I misspoke a bit, but the consensus from the article and from the comments is that a majority of cards being used for mining are AMD cards which means a lower percentage of sold AMD cards are used for gaming. This lowers the chance that a given AMD card ever appears on Steam. By how much, who knows, but once there is a flaw it has to be accounted for or the results are not very compelling. I guess you could say that there are other possible uses for either Nvidia or AMD cards that will also not show up in Steam such as cards used exclusively for animation or building an AI engine or whatever. The conclusion of the article is that Nvidia is outselling AMD overall, but actually it only shows them outperforming AMD with cards used for PC gaming, but not overall sales. Perhaps Nvidia has outsold AMD overall as well, but the survey alone does not show this.
I mean, we know that Nvidia massively outsells AMD in terms of discrete GPUs, that part is not in question. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-sales-report-q4-2020-jpr
But you're right, the ratio of 11 to 1 from Steam does seem to be skewed for one reason or another.

Reactions: deesider

deesider

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2017
Well I just bought a 6600XT (despite its shortcomings) because it was the only card available at rrp that i have seen all year. So it seems the tides really are turning.