News Nvidia's RTX 4080 Tops Newegg's List of Best-Selling GPUs

I'm not much for conspiracy theories,

But the "church of scientology" sold and bought and resold their own book "dinetetics" by ron l hubbard to keep their book at the top of the NYT best sellers list. This way it would expose more people to the religion. That is until they were caught. I would like to see counts and where they are going. Something smells fishy.

https://tonyortega.substack.com/p/how-scientology-manufactured-new

"The Radeon RX 7900 XT is 88th on Newegg's list, while the Radeon RX 7900 XTX ranks 16th on Amazon's list, .."

No surprises here. The XT variant really has a bad price/performance ratio at least when compared to XTX SKU.

Seriously, for $100 more one can get the XTX, depending on the GPU model though, since some custom AIB cards could cost more, so I'm not sure who in AMD's marketing team ? thought $899 would be a fair price for this GPU.

The previous gen RX 6800 XT was priced at $649, so this increase in price makes little sense. Why should one buy the XT variant, when you get 17-20% higher performance and 20% more memory with the XTX ?

Last edited:

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
It reminds me of a conversation I once had with a shopkeeper when buying a motherboard.

Shopkeeper: "Well, we've this nice mobo for $200, and it's very good. Of course, you could buy a top one for $300..."

Me: "A top one? Your website lists a $500 mobo as one of the most popular ones."

Shopkeeper: "Right, but you do understand that we list stuff that nobody actually buys as the most popular, don't you?"

motocros1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
i can see it finally start selling after the 7000 series didn't perform as well in ray tracing. people may have been a little upset with the 4080 price but waited to see what amd's ray tracing performance was and it wasn't good enough to cause them to jump ship just yet

It reminds me of a conversation I once had with a shopkeeper when buying a motherboard.

Shopkeeper: "Well, we've this nice mobo for $200, and it's very good. Of course, you could buy a top one for $300..."

Me: "A top one? Your website lists a $500 mobo as one of the most popular ones."

Shopkeeper: "Right, but you do understand that we list stuff that nobody actually buys as the most popular, don't you?"
Amazon's page sounds more like it's data driven, since it notes that the section is "updated hourly." That would suggest automation based on actual sales rather than a list curated by the website managers. Newegg's list meanwhile just shows a bunch of graphics cards, and there's no indication that it's a real list of what's selling well rather than a list of what Newegg would like to sell.

Also, WTF does this Newegg page even show!? Like, I can absolutely state that those numbers are complete BS. Well, maybe not so much BS but they are meaningless. The RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, which isn't normally carried by Newegg and is only sold by third parties, had a lowest price of 1,599. And it's in position number 7? Again, Newegg's presentation raises a LOT of red flags.

What I'd really love to see — and never will — would be a list grouped by the GPUs, so all RTX 4080s, 4090s, 7900 XTXs, etc. together. And then show actual numbers of units sold (and a list of how many units are in stock). That would be awesome.

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
Not surprised about the XT. I forgot who said that "if you can afford an $899 GPU, you can afford a $999 one". I 100% agree. If you are paying that kind of dough, you'll probably do the $100 push. It's not like $100->200, $200->300, where that kind of increase would indeed be a huge push for price

It may end up being like the Ryzen 5800X, where it didn't make sense at first, but eventual price drops ended up making it a good CPU

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Not surprised about the XT. I forgot who said that "if you can afford an $899 GPU, you can afford a $999 one". I 100% agree. If you are paying that kind of dough, you'll probably do the $100 push. It's not like $100->200, $200->300, where that kind of increase would indeed be a huge push for price
That's actually the problem with the 4080. I was initially planning to use this for my brand new gaming build until the RTX 40 series actually launched. But when it did, I looked at the prices, said screw it and got the cheapest RTX 4090 I could find instead. As ridiculous as it sounds, it's actually a better value card than the 4080...

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
As ridiculous as it sounds 4090 will probably be best value card for this whole generation. Which is complete insanity, especially for people who do not consider spending more then 200-300 for GPU.
Yes but the top tiers were always insanely priced like the titan cards and the 4090 is almost full ADA so setting the 4090 and maybe ti variants from the rest by price is actually smart considering most people are not investing in PC long term, the 4090 gives you a reason to think long term as more viable, although it is not(well, maybe).
The problem is with the 4080 pricing, the 4090 is in a tier of its own and rewards for those who don't mind paying top $ for top tech and actually getting good performance increases instead of the 5-10% for double price.

As for the 4080 selling more than the 7000 series.. scalpers bought them all and got burned right? It was a news article here in TH so I'm not surprised.

Reactions: daworstplaya
D

Deleted member 14196

This one was fudge factored for sure. Juke the stats

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
Just bought one myself last week from Newegg. The Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle OC. $1356 after taxes. It's more than I wanted to spend but I'm willing to pay more just to stop playing the hoping and waiting game. Just built an entirely new AMD AM5 socket-based PC and the only thing I needed was a 40-series card to top it all off.

Reactions: Sluggotg

InvalidError

Titan
Odd, I wonder if the rankings go down with returns. Scalpers are already trying to return them.
A few youtubers have gone to stores to monitor stocks of XT/XTX GPUs and most places still had the XT in stock several hours later. Doesn't look like scalpers bothered much this time around.

There is no point in attempting to slap a $100+ premium on $950-1150 GPU to cover your ebay and other costs and make some measure of profit on top when stores are overflowing with unsold or returned RTX4080s at ~$1250.

trance77

Commendable
Aug 28, 2020
Been checking the Nvidia UK store the last 5 days and the 4080 and 3090 TI been in stock every time (both went out of stock earlier but back again now) so looks like there are plenty available.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

It may end up being like the Ryzen 5800X, where it didn't make sense at first, but eventual price drops ended up making it a good CPU
That's actually the problem with the 4080. I was initially planning to use this for my brand new gaming build until the RTX 40 series actually launched. But when it did, I looked at the prices, said screw it and got the cheapest RTX 4090 I could find instead. As ridiculous as it sounds, it's actually a better value card than the 4080...
But don't folks see? That's what Nvidia and AMD want; to coerce customers towards the higher margin product. Playing right into their hands...
If they buy 4080 or 7900XT, that's fine too - they still win.
Buy retail RTX 30 or RX 6000, you help them clear overstock - still a win.
The SNAFU/TARFU continues.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I keep reading articles and comments about "Stores and Warehouses Overflowing with unsold 4080 video cards". I have been tracking the 4080s and 4090s on Newegg and Best Buy, daily, several times a day since launch. The 4090s immediately sold out and I have yet to see a single one on sale for Retail Price. The 4080s pop up for a few hours every now and then, (one time it was 2 days) and then go out of stock. (Once Again I am Talking Retail Prices). Where are these "Warehouses and Stores", ( in the US ), that can't sell their overstock of 4080s? The 7900 XTX sold out immediately and I can't find any for sale at Retail. The 7900 XT is readily available, (Multiple Models), at Retail. Why would you buy the XT when the XTX is only 100 more?
These "Sales Numbers" are largely meaningless. If a product comes out and Demand Outstrips Supply then sales are limited to Supply. It would appear that the 4090 and the 7900 XTX will not be readily available for months. Hopefully I am wrong. These are really nice Graphics Cards and I hope AMD and Nvidia can pump out larger volumes to meet demand.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I have to wonder if Newegg is double or triple dipping here. They can sell a GPU to a third party marketplace vendor. That vendor can then try to scalp the card. Another vendor can buy and try to scalp even more aggressively. Newegg, Amazon, and eBay tend to be havens for this kind of flipping activity. That might explain the anomalous sales numbers. Some bad actors may be trying to repeat what worked for the 30-series.

Reactions: Sluggotg

InvalidError

Titan
I have to wonder if Newegg is double or triple dipping here. They can sell a GPU to a third party marketplace vendor. That vendor can then try to scalp the card. Another vendor can buy and try to scalp even more aggressively. Newegg, Amazon, and eBay tend to be havens for this kind of flipping activity. That might explain the anomalous sales numbers. Some bad actors may be trying to repeat what worked for the 30-series.
For scalpers to scalp, there needs to be a profit to be had with enough of a margin to buffer the cost of any chargebacks or other problems that may arise. If people can buy an RTX4080 for the price you are trying to scalp an RX7900 for, most will just buy the RTX4080 which has far superior performance in RT, anything CUDA-based and most other GPGPU productivity/compute stuff. The scalpers' total operating margin is only ~$200 before subtracting all of the middlemen fees.

Not really worth bothering with.