NVMe 1.2 Redefines SSD Design As Marvell Releases HBM SSD Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Great let's chew up system RAM for the sake of cheaper SSDs. Now slap it in a pile of cheap OEM 2-in-1s with not-quite-enough slow-as-dirt single-channel memory and an iGPU to share it all with. Awesome. Here's hoping 8GB of DDR4 becomes the new baseline in the near future.

Still, I guess it beats what they normally do, which is stuff a mechanical drive in them and laugh maniacally.

After the last image:

"The nature of NAND density improvements, which occur with each successive generation, help address the need to consume less real estate, but removing the dedicated NAND package is a huge step forward."

I think you mean removing the dedicated DRAM package.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Great let's chew up system RAM for the sake of cheaper SSDs. Now slap it in a pile of cheap OEM 2-in-1s with not-quite-enough slow-as-dirt single-channel memory and an iGPU to share it all with. Awesome. Here's hoping 8GB of DDR4 becomes the new baseline in the near future.

Still, I guess it beats what they normally do, which is stuff a mechanical drive in them and laugh maniacally.

I haven't built or bought a system with less than 8GB of ram in a long time. And if you are purchasing cheap OEM systems, lets be honest, performance is not your main concern.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I'm with Alex the blue. I want my data in non-volatile storage as quickly as possible. We already have file system caching. Now to increase profit on the mfg side they skimp on the internal DRAM and hold it in memory longer. I want a one stop solution, not a cobbled janky piecemeal gadget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS