Question NVMe in both M.2 socket and PCI-E slot

Oct 12, 2023
Im building a budget headless server-like machine.

I currently have my eyes on an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse) CPU.
And this motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV, which has 1x Hyper M.2 (Gen4x4) socket and 1x PCI-E 4 x16 slot.

Currently I only want to get a 2 TB nvme, but I might want to add more later.

I'm not going to have a GPU, so my question is, if I can use an adapter in the PSI-E 4 x16 slot to add another nvme and still get full gen4 x4 speed?
Or will this somehow reduce the actual M.2 socket on the board, because of some lane-sharing or whatever?

Also, if it is possible with full speed - Any adapter recommendations? And how many nvme's could fit into the adapter and still get full speed?
Since the PCI-E is x16, could I possibly get 4 nvmes? Each having x4, for a total of 5 nvmes on the board, all running Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) speeds?

Im a hardware rookie, so I hope it makes sense.

Solution
The primary M.2 slot has dedicated lanes from the CPU. And if you use an add-in card to install on in an x16 slot, you can have up to 4 NVMe drives running at PCIe x4.

Though the question is what do you plan on doing with all this storage? How do you plan to set it up?
The primary M.2 slot has dedicated lanes from the CPU. And if you use an add-in card to install on in an x16 slot, you can have up to 4 NVMe drives running at PCIe x4.

Though the question is what do you plan on doing with all this storage? How do you plan to set it up?

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My question would be whether or not a system without graphics ability could even be configured?
I am not sure how you would install any manner of OS or set up the appropriate IP settings without seeing what you are doing IF it would even post.

For this use I would consider a G skew so you don't have to worry about that.

Admittedly, my experience with using a headless system was back with FreeNAS and memory is not helping with recall of whether I had to set it up with graphics ability first and then make it headless.

Oct 12, 2023
My question would be whether or not a system without graphics ability could even be configured?
I am not sure how you would install any manner of OS or set up the appropriate IP settings without seeing what you are doing IF it would even post.

For this use I would consider a G skew so you don't have to worry about that.

Admittedly, my experience with using a headless system was back with FreeNAS and memory is not helping with recall of whether I had to set it up with graphics ability first and then make it headless.
My assumption was that all motherboards had some kind of integrated graphics unit, so I could at least install some OS, but after that I would only connect to it through SSH.

In the spec of the motherboard, it says "Integrated AMD Radeon Vega Series Graphics in Ryzen Series APU", but what does that mean? Does that require an APU to be installed?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is saying you need a G skew or one of the Athlon with built in graphics. The standard line of Ryzen CPU do not have integrated graphics.

I did a very quick search for "does AM4 have a motherboard with built in graphics" and the answer in a quick search was no.

USAFRet

Titan
My assumption was that all motherboards had some kind of integrated graphics unit, so I could at least install some OS, but after that I would only connect to it through SSH.
Noooo....
There is a port on the motherboard, but the actual graphics comes from the CPU.

You need a CPU, either Intel or AMD, with graphics built in.
The motherboard itself has none.

In the AMD world, labeled as an "APU

Oct 12, 2023
It is saying you need a G skew or one of the Athlon with built in graphics. The standard line of Ryzen CPU do not have integrated graphics.

I did a very quick search for "does AM4 have a motherboard with built in graphics" and the answer in a quick search was no.
Can you elaborate on what a G skew is? Google isn't really helpful.

Oct 12, 2023

Im probably only really planning on adding a single additional 2 tb nvme, but I was just curious if my understanding was correct about being able to have 4 on an x16 slot.