Question NVMe not recognised by BIOS or Windows install

Oct 7, 2021
Building my pc and everything had been going well until I hit a snag..
My Samsung 980 NVMe was not being recognised by either my BIOS or Windows.
I'm planning on installing windows to it so I can't really progress until I have this issue resolved.

The computer specs are:
CPU = i7 10700KF
MOBO = ASUS z590 E
GPU = ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT TUF OC 12GB GDDR6
PSU = Corsair 650 W (gold)
RAM = Corsair 3000 MHz DDR4
HDD = Seagate Barracuda 2TB

My motherboards manual says I can put the 980 into the M.2_2 slot because it is a PCIe 3.0 card, so I don't think that should be a problem.
I'm thinking that maybe the NVMe itself is faulty but before I go returning anything I want to at least know I tried everything to get it working.

So far I have tried:
  1. Removing it and putting it back in
  2. Enabling CSM then restarting

Everytime I checked in NVMe configuration it never showed up, nor in windows. I'm hesitant to update my BIOS drivers because I heard they can cause more issues and I have no evidence saying it would actually fix my current problem.

Please help!

Building my pc and everything had been going well until I hit a snag..
My Samsung 980 NVMe was not being recognised by either my BIOS or Windows.
I'm planning on installing windows to it so I can't really progress until I have this issue resolved.

The computer specs are:
CPU = i7 10700KF
MOBO = ASUS z590 E
GPU = ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT TUF OC 12GB GDDR6
PSU = Corsair 650 W (gold)
RAM = Corsair 3000 MHz DDR4
HDD = Seagate Barracuda 2TB

My motherboards manual says I can put the 980 into the M.2_2 slot because it is a PCIe 3.0 card, so I don't think that should be a problem.
I'm thinking that maybe the NVMe itself is faulty but before I go returning anything I want to at least know I tried everything to get it working.

So far I have tried:
  1. Removing it and putting it back in
  2. Enabling CSM then restarting
Everytime I checked in NVMe configuration it never showed up, nor in windows. I'm hesitant to update my BIOS drivers because I heard they can cause more issues and I have no evidence saying it would actually fix my current problem.

Please help!
Try m.2_1 then m.2_2 then m.2_3.
See if it shows in any of the slots.

If not you need to split this with another m.2 for test in the slots or another machine to test the orig m.2.

Oct 7, 2021
Try m.2_1 then m.2_2 then m.2_3.
See if it shows in any of the slots.

If not you need to split this with another m.2 for test in the slots or another machine to test the orig m.2.
Sorry for the delay in my reply it has been a busy few days :')
I tried the m.2_3 slot and it DOES show up. I don't see any real reason to try the remaining slots, mainly because the m.2_1 requires a 11th gen cpu which I do not have and I have already proven the NVMe is not faulty.

The manual does state that that the m.2_2 slot would support a PCIe 3.0 NVMe for my 10th gen processor, so I guess that means that my motherboard might be at fault here... quite depressing

Sorry for the delay in my reply it has been a busy few days :')
I tried the m.2_3 slot and it DOES show up. I don't see any real reason to try the remaining slots, mainly because the m.2_1 requires a 11th gen cpu which I do not have and I have already proven the NVMe is not faulty.

The manual does state that that the m.2_2 slot would support a PCIe 3.0 NVMe for my 10th gen processor, so I guess that means that my motherboard might be at fault here... quite depressing
It's your call but you might want to check if there is a newer bios and chipset driver for the mobo.

TRENDING THREADS