Question NVMe SSD no longer recognized in the UEFI Bios

ber999

Reputable
May 9, 2020
The failure occurred with a HP Pavilion 17-ab403ng notebook.
I had inserted the NVMe SSD misaligned.
As a result, several pins of the connector slot were deformed and had contact with each other.
The UEFI Bios does not recognize the NVMe SSD, so that the NVMs could not be found in the Windows System any longer, even if I had aligned the pins of the slot in their original positions.
How could be found out that the NVMe SSD controller is healthy and a pin contact is still absent only or otherwise the controller is defective?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to take the M.2 NVMe SSD and drop it into a motherboard with an available M.2 slot and see if it shows up in BIOS, bootable devices. If the SSD doesn't show up in BIOS then it's highly possible that the bent pins caused a short and fried the SSD.

I am curious though, you'd need to brute force an M.2 SSD into an M.2 slot in order to misalign the pins on the motherboard slot itself.

ber999

Reputable
May 9, 2020
I have mounted the SSD in an external USB adapter and it is healthy.
There is no brute force necessary.
There was an obstacle between the SSD and the slot which not visible to me and HP uses its own slots.
The plastic material of these slots is very brittle, what I had not expected.
I don't know the types of controllers used for the NVMe SSDs. So, I could not identify the controller on the board.
How could an empty NVMe SSD controller identified in Windows 10?