[SOLVED] nvme ssd on old uefi bios

otalado

Reputable
May 17, 2018
I have HP Elite 8200 PC with Windows 10 installed. As storage, I have a Samsung SATA SSD 256Gb. I have a PCI-e adapter with 256Gb NVMe SSD on it. When installed I can use this SSD normally but the BIOS (it is an old version of UEFI BIOS) would not boot from it. Browsing for a solution I found mentioned that it is possible to run OS on such SSD but boot into it from another disk. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any description of how to do it. Since I plan to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on SATA SSD and I'd like to install Debian 10 on the NVMe SSD. I'd like to be able to boot to both systems from the SATA SSD. I would appreciate any help (link) which could help me do it.

Solution
You should be able to just install Debian and it should detect the Win10 bootloader for the dual boot and all you need to do is manually select the disk and setup the swap and main partitions.

Be sure to make a backup of the Sata SSD in case things don't go quite right.

popatim

Titan
You should be able to just install Debian and it should detect the Win10 bootloader for the dual boot and all you need to do is manually select the disk and setup the swap and main partitions.

Be sure to make a backup of the Sata SSD in case things don't go quite right.

Solution

otalado

Reputable
May 17, 2018
Your suggestion worked (sort of). There was a glitch. GRUB was installed to the NVMe UEFI partition, so I could not boot it, but I think that's my fault. I was too quick and I let the installer do the partitioning, so it created the UEFI partition which it should not. Nevertheless, I've had a bootable USB SSD with Debian. When I booted from it, I updated the GRUB and then I was able to boot the Debian on NVMe SSD. So I'll mark the thread as Solved, and reinstall the Debian (this time using manual partitioning) when I'll have time to do it. I only wish that I could put Windows 10 on this NVMe SSD, but I am afraid that's not possible.

TRENDING THREADS