Question NVMe SSD will not sit in my motherboard

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello

As you can see this NVME SSD is way too small for my Gigabyte Designare Z390 motherboard. I can't move the screw far enough to fit to the size.

Apart from getting another SSD is there some adapter I can get or something?

This originally came from a Dell laptop.

Thx.

IMG-20191211-134120.jpg

Does it even function right?

If it does, and you're hard over to use it, you'll have to jig up a mount. Possibly a plastic spacer underneath and tape it down. The NVME heatsink provided by the mo-bo might help hold it down onto the spacer once it's in place.

But anything Dell is lowest common denominator, picked for cost alone and operated at lowest performance to make sure it lasts through warranty. Good luck.

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
The heat sink should hold it down just fine. Ive used double sided tape to hold a 1TB 970 drive in place till i could order a M.2 screw.

Or if you have a 3d printer or know someone that has one you can print an adapter to go from the 42mm to 30mm to secure the card.

Thanks.

I'm surprised these adapters don't exist commercially. My worry is that the material of the adapter should be able to handle heat. Same issue with tape (not ideal of course but needs are must!).

I'm not looking for a PCIe adapter card right now. Just something to make it fit.

I have not tested it in this motherboard I can't see why it would be incompatible?

KBG40ZNS512G is a 512GB capacity M.2 2230-S2, which is slightly thinner than
the 1TB drive, which is is M.2 2230-S3. The larger capacity drive is – 1.5mm vs. 1.35mm). It is offered in a single-chip BGA package which can be soldered down right on a motherboard. So that is something that is NOT for that motherboard.

Form FactorM.2 2230 S2

Motherboard supports: M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110)

Thx for clarification. I am looking for a better solution though as explained

Just get some thermal pad material (that can certainly take the heat) and stack it up to make a cushiony spacer from it then mash it down on that with the heatsink as suggested. Or, as also suggested, find someone with a 3d printer and have them print you up a small adapter piece.

There's not much demand for these things so going to be hard to find. You can google and search through Aliexpress as well as anyone to try and find one. If it exists.