[SOLVED] NVMe vs. SSD as the boot drive....

Jun 8, 2020
Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 with i5-4590 (Haswell)..curious to know if can I replace the HDD boot drive with an NVMe SSD as the boot drive? I was going to go with a regular SSD but it seems that NVMe is a lot faster.

Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF spec sheet says that I have 1 half height PCIe x16, and
1 half height PCIe x1. Are PCIe slots the only thing required for installing NVMe SSDs as the boot drive?

Thanks

Solution
Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 with i5-4590 (Haswell)..curious to know if can I replace the HDD boot drive with an NVMe SSD as the boot drive? I was going to go with a regular SSD but it seems that NVMe is a lot faster.

1 half height PCIe x1. Are PCIe slots the only thing required for installing NVMe SSDs as the boot drive?

Thanks
That has no M.2 port?
Highly unlikely it would boot from an NVMe drive in a PCIe adapter.
Even if it did, that PCIe port is slow slow slow.
And even if the port were not slow, you would see pretty much zero difference between an NVMe drive and a SATA III SSD.

Yes, the benchmarks are faster. That system will never...

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks
That has no M.2 port?
Highly unlikely it would boot from an NVMe drive in a PCIe adapter.
Even if it did, that PCIe port is slow slow slow.
And even if the port were not slow, you would see pretty much zero difference between an NVMe drive and a SATA III SSD.

Yes, the benchmarks are faster. That system will never make use of that.

Don't get all googlyeyed over the speed difference between SATA III and NVMe solid state drives.
That is like considering different types of racing tires, to go on a 10 year old Honda Civic with 300,000 miles on it.

A regular 2.5" SATA III SSD will work just fine, and be a HUGE improvement over your current HDD.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution