Question Nzxt h5 elite bottom fan at full speed

Jun 14, 2024
So i have an Asus tuf B660M Wifi D4 Plus motherboard, and I have an nzxt h5 elite case.
In the nzxt h5 elite there are 4 fans. 2 infront, one at the bottom and one at the back.
I have my cpu liquid cooled. (Be quiet pure loop 2 fx)
So my problem is that on my mobo, I have all my case fans taken, and I could only plug my bottom case fan into CPU OPT Fan. And the first problem is , that it is running at full speed, and I can’t change it , and the second problem is that I can’t see the CPU OPT Fan in the BIOS.

Please someone help me because it is really annoying and it’s loud too!!!

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

i have an Asus tuf B660M Wifi D4 Plus motherboard
fwebp

Your board has 6 fan headers and you get this;
View: https://youtu.be/VSoBLsIp2wE?t=206

PWM/ARGB hub, the AIO fans can go on there, meaning you have 5 more headers at your disposal.

Speaking of motherboard's, what BIOS version are you on?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
NOTE: the links to the BIOS Setup and User manuals below have been altered by this website to wrong links that do not work.

Here's how I would recommend you do this for the fan MOTOR cables. (I'll address lighting cables later.)

First, the AIO cooler system although you have not asked about that directly. It requires power / control for two items, the PUMP and the pair of RAD FANS. Connect the PUMP motor cable to your mobo's AIO_PUMP header at top front. Use the ARGB / PWM Hub that comes with your AIO system to connect the two RAD FANS to the CPU_FAN header. Ensure one of those fans is plugged into the Hub's 4-pin motor port marked as "RPM". The speed of this fan will be reported to the CPU_FAN header, but the speed of the other rad fan will not be shown separately.

See your mobo BIOS manual here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/13MANUAL/PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4

See p. 68 to 73 for these items. For the AIO_PUMP header, set its AIO_PUMP QFAN Control to PWM Mode, not Auto or DC. Set its QFan Source to CPU so it uses the CPU temperature for guidance. For the CPU_FAN set its CPU_FAN QFAN Control to PWM Mode also, and set CPU_FAN Profile to Standard to let the mobo control CPU cooling automatically for you. With these settings the pump will always run full speed as it was designed to do, and the rad fan speeds will be varied automatically according to the temperature inside the CPU chip.

Do not use the CPU_OPT header for other fans. Guidance of the case fans should be based on a temperature sensor on the mobo, not the one inside the CPU chip. The CPU_OPT header cannot be configured separately and it does exactly what the CPU_FAN header does.

Now to your four case fans and three mobo CHA_FAN headers. You will need a small accessory, a SPLITTER like this

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-Sleeved-Splitter-Converter/dp/B01EF9OI0O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=248NISXFSVA0T&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.RIe0_ceToDT3fDg7nh4HA9t2OSw7wwyUL3ouhfDVUba7qgspcsdvrS56YO-sbaJ83QKIrnGJdNqtrT42MAliDLIBkR-GhTudzwKqMcz-twq_JnWRw9whkQiVrrhfsVhfwLB8WFlfF9QBy8JLePpWevZJErGOueXbFT_0rboUFCg3nLChFIZo59yMsDbsiuH-R-ugrL5M0B9X97Rs48KdRVhVL8CUyYCNX9QMSwwyr3c.yHjlGI5tND-ctG99nEr13V_C7Afepn7HQD5mUTif9ro&dib_tag=se&keywords=fan+splitter&qid=1718469261&sprefix=fan+spliter,aps,98&sr=8-3

That's a 2-pack so you will have a spare. Use one to connect your two front case intake fans to one of the CHA_FAN headers. Of these, only one will have its speed shown on that header, but the other will do the same thing. Now connect your two other case fans to the two other CHA_FAN headers. In BIOS Setup configure all three CHA_FAN headers identically: QFAN Control to PWM Mode, Profile to Standard, Source to Motherboard. All four of these fans will do the same thing with their speeds adjusted automatically according to the temp sensor on the mobo.

Now for the separate LIGHTING cables. I believe you will have two from the Rad Fans, and three from the case fans - one case fan, I believe, does not have lights. ALL of these can be powered and controlled the same. Connect their cables to 3-pin lighting output ports of that ARGB/PWM Hub that comes with the AIO system. There is one wide connector on a cable from the Hub that goes to a SATA power output connector from the PSU for power to the lights. One 3-wire cable from the Hub that ends in a smaller 4-hole connector goes to the CPU_FAN header of the mobo to guide the rad fan motors. The 2-wire connector ending in a wider 3-hole connector (looks like it had 4 holes but one is blocked) goes to one of the 3-pin ADD GEN2 headers of your mobo. See the user manual here

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4/E19700_TUF_GAMING_B660M-PLUS_WIFI_D4_UM_v3_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4

on p. 1-1 and 1-3, key item 11. Do NOT connect to the 4-pin AURA RGB header key item 12. This picks up the control signals for ARGB lights in your fans from that mobo header. You will NOT use the lighting Hub incuded with your CASE, nor will you need to use the case maker's utility called NZXT CAM. Instead you WILL use the MOBO maker's utility called ASUS AURA Sync. NOTE this. These headers are capable of doing the latest more complex ARGB lighting called Gen2, but that mode can NOT control the original version of ARGB lights that are in your fans. So within AURA Sync you may need to find the option to set the lighting controls to ORIGINAL (verison 1) mode rather than Gen2 Mode.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No. What I meant is that CPU_OPT will send out the SAME control signal as the CPU_FAN header does, and that is the WRONG way to control a CASE ventilation fan. CPU_OPT will change a fan speed according to the temperature inside the CPU chip. A CHA_FAN header set to use the Motherboard temp sensor will control its fan according to general motherboard (inside of the case) temperature.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is why I said to get one Splitter. Then you can connect 2 fans (I suggested the front fans) together to one CHA_FAN header, and the other two individually to the two remaining CHA_FAN headers. Then all those CHA_FAN headers are to be configured the same so the four case vent fans all do the same thing, based on using the motherboard temp sensor. That way no fans are connected to CPU_OPT, and the only ones connected to CPU_FAN are the rad fans that control CPU cooling.