Apr 11, 2020
I have been searching for this answer and haven't been able to find anything. I plan to buy the NZXT H510 Elite case. It has a front USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C cable to be connected to the Motherboard.

I have found a few motherboards that have the USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C support, however, the motherboard I really would like to get is the ASUS PRIME Z390-A. Unfortunately, this motherboard only supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C.

The reason for wanting this motherboard is purely aesthetic and there's nothing that looks similar with the specs I am looking for.

So for my question, if I proceed and purchase the case and motherboard mentioned above. Can I plug the USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C cable for the front panel into the 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port on the motherboard. I understand that I would only receive the performance of the Gen 1 if this would work, which I am fine with. From every photo I look at, the connectors look the same. I just don't know if the Gen 2 cable will be backwards compatible.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
We are facing the earlier issue, with a cheap motherboard (MSI Pro M2 Max) with only 1 20-pin USB 3.0 (double) header. Our motherboard has no USB 3.1 gen2 female headers. We are considering buying a PCI 3.0 x2 card with the USB Type-C 3.1 gen2 female header on it, for about $20, that seems to be the simplest workable solution. Alternately for $15 we could get something to convert the USB 3.0 20-pin header into a type-C gen2 female header, but then the USB 2.0/3.0 port on the front would be dead.

Last edited: