[SOLVED] Nzxt Kraken not working, need help

Mar 19, 2021
So I have been onto NZXT for quite some time now and they still haven't resolved the issue, so I am posting here looking for help.

I have an NZXT Kraken X63, it was bought in July 2020. I upgraded my pc in November and everything was working perfectly, until Christmas Day.

On Christmas day the Kraken got an auto firmware update, which bricked it, fans stopped working. I bought new fan splitters thinking it was them. Looked everywhere online for help but nobody has had my problem. I uninstalled CAM software and everything got to do with it, NZXT also told me to do this and it still hasn't solved my problem.

Here is the problem, my Kraken fans turn on, but when it gets to the sign-in screen for windows the fans just stop. They work perfect in Bios, can change their speed etc but whenever the pc gets to my password screen they die. The fans do work when I connect them to the Pump fan header but it sounds like a Boeing 747 beside me taking off because I can't change the rpm of the fans.

I saw on some threads saying the 10 pins for the Kraken are sometimes not connecting but they do for me otherwise the fans wouldn't work when in Bios.

Any help would be appreciated, what is wrong with my Kraken? Many thanks in advance.

Solution
I have submitted one earlier and all they want me to do is uninstall CAM
an RMA is not a support request. it is a Return Merchandise Authorization request.
there should be separate ticket request options for this.

and if NZXT doesn't reply regarding it, than try to submit the request with the retailer you purchased it from.

I have the kraken center piece connected in the CPU fan header whilst the fans on the kraken have to connect into the fan headers on the motherboard
try connecting the Kraken pump cable to a motherboard Pump header, with the fans connected to the CPU & CPU_opt fan headers.
with many boards the different headers offer the same type of PWM control, but others are designed specifically for...
if you only want RPM control of the fans to set a custom curve with less noise, than connect the fans directly to the motherboard's CPU fan headers and set them as you wish either through the BIOS or your motherboard's control software.

but are you sure the pump is working correctly? while the fans are running does the CPU stay at a safe temperature?

if the cooler is still under warranty you need to submit an RMA ticket either through the retailer or NZXT.
this could also prompt a quicker response which may lead to support providing a fix.

Mar 19, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I have the kraken center piece connected in the CPU fan header whilst the fans on the kraken have to connect into the fan headers on the motherboard, but for some reason they don't want to work when I sign into windows (works fine in the bios) so they are connected into the pump fan header now.

Yes the pump is all good, temperatures are all good even under heavy gaming sessions, I have no idea what's wrong.

Mar 19, 2021
Thanks guys, I have submitted one earlier and all they want me to do is uninstall CAM, install it again and try get it working, not much help at all, I may ask for an exchange. Thanks.

I have submitted one earlier and all they want me to do is uninstall CAM
an RMA is not a support request. it is a Return Merchandise Authorization request.
there should be separate ticket request options for this.

and if NZXT doesn't reply regarding it, than try to submit the request with the retailer you purchased it from.

I have the kraken center piece connected in the CPU fan header whilst the fans on the kraken have to connect into the fan headers on the motherboard
try connecting the Kraken pump cable to a motherboard Pump header, with the fans connected to the CPU & CPU_opt fan headers.
with many boards the different headers offer the same type of PWM control, but others are designed specifically for this type of setup.

do you have the motherboard's control software installed that will give you control over the fan\RGB headers, etc from within Windows?
you can set a custom fan curve there.
sometimes it may need to run a fan sequencing test to determine what RPMs the fans are capable of before allowing PWM control over them. this could be why they just default to max speeds when connected to the motherboard fan headers.

Solution

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
Just a quick rundown:

From the pump- three/four cables should be plugged.
1.) CPU fan
2.) Sata power
3.) USB
4.) RGB

I assume all these are good.

I hope you communicated by phone instead of email/chat. I found NZXT to be extremely helpful in a call.

Hope they replace this soon. Best of luck.

Reactions: garrethk97
Mar 19, 2021
I'll change the headers around now and see how it goes, thanks guys! I'll keep you updated.

with many boards the different headers offer the same type of PWM control, but others are designed specifically for this type of setup.

I'll change the headers around now and see how it goes, thanks you! I'll keep you updated.

Mar 19, 2021
Just a quick rundown:

From the pump- three/four cables should be plugged.
1.) CPU fan
2.) Sata power
3.) USB
4.) RGB

I assume all these are good.

I hope you communicated by phone instead of email/chat. I found NZXT to be extremely helpful in a call.

Hope they replace this soon. Best of luck.
I had college projects all day so had to email them, I'll call them on Monday if I don't hear word back and Monday is my day off.
Hopefully all is fixed and up and running again :)

Mar 19, 2021
do you have the motherboard's control software installed that will give you control over the fan\RGB headers, etc from within Windows?
you can set a custom fan curve there.
sometimes it may need to run a fan sequencing test to determine what RPMs the fans are capable of before allowing PWM control over them. this could be why they just default to max speeds when connected to the motherboard fan headers.

Switched them around there, seem to be fine now, pump says its at 2800 rpm and CPU fans saying 1600rpm, thank you, doesn't sound like a jet beside me anymore.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost