NZXT Kraken X62 fans extremely loud

Kataklysmic

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015
I recently put together a new build and opted to go with the NZXT Kraken X62 AIO cooler. So far it's keeping my CPU cool...but that's because it's constantly running all the fans at 100%. I've made sure everything is connected exactly as it says in the manual (even watched a few videos to be extra sure), but I am not able to control the fan speed at all.

I have tried changing some of the settings in BIOS, as well as creating custom profiles in the CAM software that is supposed to control all this, but no matter what I change or do, all the fans in the case run at full speed all the time, no matter the temperature or load.

Has anyone had any experience with this and if so, what did you do to fix it? Or is there a fix at all? Seriously looking at returning this thing and getting something else if this can't be fixed.

Solution
Take a close look at the fans supplied by NZXT. The website for the Kraken X62 system says the fans with it are their AER P fan, which are 4-pin PWM fans. IF that really is what you have, then that certainly can explain what you see. A 3-pin fan plugged into a system using the newer PWM Mode for control will always run full speed. That control method cannot change the speed of a 3-pin fan.
Hi Kataklysmic :)

All fans are loud at 100% and Kraken X62 is no different. If it runs at 100% at idle then there is something wrong, either poor thermal interface material or excessive Core voltage can cause this overheating.

CAM software will allow control of fan speed and set to your preference.

Don't forget that 3pin fans cannot be controlled thru Bios, only 4pin PWR.

Kataklysmic

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015
After spending some time on here and also on Reddit, the closest thing I can come to that would explain this is that the fans I am using (I am not using the stock NZXT fans that came with the Kraken) are not PWM fans and therefore cannot be controlled by the CAM software. The only odd thing is that the stock NZXT fans look like they are only 3-pin as well, so I really don't know. I am going to try and put those on and see what happens.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Take a close look at the fans supplied by NZXT. The website for the Kraken X62 system says the fans with it are their AER P fan, which are 4-pin PWM fans. IF that really is what you have, then that certainly can explain what you see. A 3-pin fan plugged into a system using the newer PWM Mode for control will always run full speed. That control method cannot change the speed of a 3-pin fan.

Solution

Kataklysmic

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015

Ah okay...I was just going off the physical look of the fan cables themselves (only 3 pin holes) on the NZXT stock fans. That would certainly explain it then...thank you.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Added thought.

When looking at the male (with pins) output connectors on the cable from the pump unit to the fans, do not be confused if they contain only three pins with Pin #3 missing in some. The system may not communicate the speeds of all of the radiator fans separately, opting instead to check the speed of only one of them.

Kataklysmic

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015

I wasn't even aware of that...I will go ahead and try the stock fans and see what I get and if that is indeed the issue (I'm sure it is), then I'll just return the aftermarket fans I got and get some that support PWM. Thanks!

Kataklysmic

Honorable
Oct 4, 2015
For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread at some point in time: to revise what I put earlier, the "stock" NZXT fans I was looking at were actually the case fans of the NZXT S340 Elite case I got (whomp whomp), so that was my mistake. The actual radiator fans that come with the Kraken are indeed 4-pin PWM fans as Paperdoc said. After putting those in, my rig went from sounding like an A-10 Warthog to a Toyota Prius. I am going to snag up a couple of aftermarket PWM fans to swap out the stock case fans (non-PWM 3-pin) so I can get it even quieter. Hope this saves anyone else out there some time and headache.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have encountered a common problem. First, when you mis-match fan types by plugging a 3-pin fan into a mobo header (or a Hub) that actually is using the newer PWM Mode to control 4-pin fans, that 3-pin unit can only run full speed all the time. That happens a lot because so many case makers include pre-mounted fans that are 3-pin type because they are marginally cheaper. Now, if you are aware of this you can set the mobo CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN headers that power those fans to use Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) IF that option exists on your mobo, and that can control those fans. If you have several fans, you can use SPLITTERS to connect two to four such 3-pin fans to a single mobo header - in most cases the fan max current draw will allow this. BUT you can NOT use a HUB for this purpose because almost all Hubs work only with 4-pin fans. A HUB, by the way, has one cable arm that must plug into a PSU power output, whereas a Splitter does not have this third "arm" type. So, depending on the details of your system - header control Mode options, number of headers and fan count - you may be able to work with the pre-mounted 3-pin models, or may need to replace them.