NZXT Updates Its CAM Software To Version 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanyac

Reputable
For Kraken users is there any other choice for monitoring motherboard and CPU temps and fan speeds? If there is please let me know what it is.

CAM is bloatware that is slow, unstable and even with the alleged reduced data collection, still tries to send way too much data out.

I've blocked the program in my firewall, and had to delete several DLLs to stop some of the rampant data collection. This causes the program to hang for up to 1 minute at start up, but I'd rather that than the data collected.

In my testing of several versions the app creates files and folders all over the place, often in the root of C:\ drive. Lazy programming IMHO.

It also creates a unique ID so your machine can be individually tracked.

Each new update introduces more bugs. Those bugs can take many months to be addressed. Some bugs still exist from as far back as v3.1 (Such as launch at startup).

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
I don't even care about the spying (I don't do anything worth hiding). What I hate about CAM is how god-damned unstable it is. It conflicts with tons of things, routinely forgets settings after reboots and occasionally just changes things while running without being told to.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
I don't know if it's just me but the fan curves are no longer curves, more like stepping points 5C apart. For example, my fan just sits at the PWM% that is set at 30C until it hits 35C, no granularity at all.

blazeaglory

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Yeah. When mine runs it usually runs ok but lately it wont start so I have to reinstall it. The game settings never work but as long as it controls the fan and pump on my kraken and can control my HUE+ without screwing my system up, Im ok with it.

So far its been running fine. Starts up super fast but still most settings other than lights or kraken never hold.

Yes, this version is mostly no improvement to the majority of core issues, like autostarting when windows starts or reboots. If you can get a copy of the 3.3.21 installer, most the current problems don't exist and autostart works.

For me, I've found that if I install CAM, manually log into it the first time, adjust all my settings the way I like including fan curves/speeds, color settings, etc., reboot and then uninstall CAM, the hardware retains all my required settings but I have none of the issues with the invasive reporting or software conflicts that are so clearly present due to poor dev investment.

The only problem with that though is that anytime there is a complete loss of power to the system for any reason, as in pulling the cord, switching off the power supply or a power outage, the hardware loses it's settings and you have to reinstall and reconfigure all over again. Since that rarely happens, it's not a major inconvenience.

Tanyac

Reputable

You're so right about that. I Have a Phantom 820 case. One of the USB 2.0 headers wires broke. In the end, I had to spend another $299 on a new case as NZXT refused to help out.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

They're carrying on tradition then, because the last one turned my deep red in to a bright pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.