'Obduction' Gets Oculus Rift Support On Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Finished the game awhile back. Can't imagine playing that in VR with all the traveling back and forth one has to do. But it will no doubt be great because the graphics are so well done.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I really enjoyed Obduction. Walking on the edge of those cliffs in VR would nauseate me for sure. Really beautiful environments. A great storyline that initially disappoints because it is not hand fed to you on a spoon but rewards you as a 'well thought out' puzzle that requires deep thought even after you watched the final moments of the game unfold.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I might get this if it was just a PC game, but being an Oculus exclusive in VR, they've lost the sale. If you offer VR, you need to offer real, room-scale VR on the Vive.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Actually they're currently working on Vive support, but haven't given a release date for it. From what I understand, the Oculus support wasn't given priority due to any sort of publishing deal, but rather because it was one of their original Kickstarter stretch goals that the supporters pushed for, 2 years before the Vive was even announced.

I'm a Vive owner too and would love to replay this game in room-scale VR, but just for the record, Obduction is amazing on its own and totally worth buying. :)

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my poorly-informed, knee-jerk post. You've turned around my view on this, and I will buy this game.

firebane

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
I got this for Oculus and I personally don't think it's the best game for VR.

You spend most of the game "teleporting" a few feet ahead, looking the direction you want to go, and teleporting again. Even if I had room scale and hands it wouldn't improve it much. Games with room space VR work better if there's lots of objects to manipulate in a small area. And this, while a great game, isn't really designed in such a way.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Bummer.
I guess that's to be expected when a game was built to run on a monitor. I hope Fallout 4 VR turns out much better.
I'll go ahead and play Obduction in my theater, rather than waiting for a Vive version.

firebane

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
It didn't help that I am pushing the very low end of the VR spec. So I had to run it at low quality. Until I can hide enough money from my wife that I can buy a 1070 without her knowing I spent that much money, I won't know how good it looks in VR on High.

But moreso my issues were the gameplay. Teleporting is the only way I can move long distances in these games without feeling nauseous. And it has a fairly large world where most "zones" (10ft square ares you teleport into) are empty of objects you can interact with.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Thanks for the additional info. I can move in games without teleport as long as the floor is at floor-level. Luckey's Tale makes me sway because it's at waist-level. I have no life, so I was able to buy a 1080. With VR and all the great PC games available, it's a really good time to not have a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.