Oblivion

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Probably.

I still haven't used it but I'm tempted to now that I'm playing the game again (Creative couldn't fix the audio bug requiring me to uninstal/reinstall my drivers, so I just pulled the card, and now no problems [no EAX, but then again no Buzzing!]) so I can play again.

Might try it on one cave I got lazy/tired on, and broke 3 lockpicks on a two tumbler lock! :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
Yes it's your cheat and once you use it, it's down right difficult to go back to tappi' tumblers. I'm kinda disappointed I resorted to using it, but in the end it gets me past a part of the game that was beginning to annoy me as it was either do it quickly and break picks or be careful and take forever.

Well a few other people have experience the same issue with the desktop version.

I can make it go away by uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and it's ok for a few days, but it then comes back. Sound like an IRQ issue to me, so it might be a hit and miss things amongst users.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
On the contrary, I like the lock-picking mini-game very much. It has that random element that makes it unpredictable and at the same time makes you rely on reflex and intuition. In Thief III, after picking 5 locks I understand the basic rule and automatically could open any lock easily, given enough time. In Oblivion, a "very hard" lock IS very hard to pick.
But since I am playing a theif type character, and hes sort of a master in lockpicking, how in the hell can you tell me he breaks even 1 pick on an easy lock STILL??? Makes no sense. They shouldve made the actual tumblers increase in difficulty, and once you master the skill, very easy and maybe easy locks should open automaitcally..Actually, I think that the higher your skill, the more likely the tumbler will stay up longer, thus allowing you to pick it easier. I am really impressed by two elements of this system:

- It's based both on your personnal skill AND on your character's skill. Perfect combination of freedom and rules. The combat system is similar.
- Picking a very hard lock takes a long time and much concentration, as it should be. Character who are experts in the security skill have a better chance of succeeding, but it's not impossible a novice could do it, with a lot of patience and frustration. The results are what they should be in real life, that's what's impressive.

pauldh

Illustrious
Ugh, that would be the last thing I need. I bought the ZS becasue the Gateway oem Audgigy 2 I had started giving me sound issues in BF2 and there were no new drivers.

The build I'm working on now has a X-fi platinum. Man is that one nice card and the front 5.25" bay i/o would be nice too. Too bad it's not for me.

The build I'm working on now has a X-fi platinum. Man is that one nice card and the front 5.25" bay i/o would be nice too. Too bad it's not for me.

too bad they don't have a laptop version complete with a break-out box like the platinum, now that would make my next laptop!

ASIO recording, and full Dolby/DTS/DVD-A/THX playback helped me truely move to the laptop with few regrets. The Audigy is AWESOME for everythinig EXCEPT Oblivion, where it's been a big hassle. Still want more power now for the full move, but that too will come.

The Audigy even now supports playback through the laptop's own speakers which it didn't before, great update, so that way I didn't have to removed the card and reboot in order to play movies at work for the gang afterhours.