[SOLVED] OC 2133 to 2666

raywestnit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2018
Greetings, so basically I'm new to ram overclocking and just wanted to some questions before I do so,

I was wondering how does one overclock 2133mhz to 2666mhz, is it even hard to do it, and are there some things I should know before I do so
is there like an auto overclock feature on my motherboard? (not like xmp/docp)

Answers are very much appreciated

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 16gb 2x8 2133 mhz ddr4
Motherboard MSI b450M Mortar Max

Solution
Greetings, so basically I'm new to ram overclocking and just wanted to some questions before I do so,

I was wondering how does one overclock 2133mhz to 2666mhz, is it even hard to do it, and are there some things I should know before I do so

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/Ryzen3000_MemoryOverclockingGuide.pdf

That's a fairly aggressive overclock. RAM is aggressively binned, not designed to be run at specific clockspeeds. Basically, semiconductor fabrication doesn't involve truly identical chips, so...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/Ryzen3000_MemoryOverclockingGuide.pdf

That's a fairly aggressive overclock. RAM is aggressively binned, not designed to be run at specific clockspeeds. Basically, semiconductor fabrication doesn't involve truly identical chips, so like CPUs, RAM sticks are generally simply sold at the speeds the sticks pass the tests at. Ram advertising 2133 MHz will be the cheapest, lowest quality RAM available, the lowest grade of what is suitable to even be sold. You may be able to overclock it somewhat -- extensive testing is necessary -- simply because companies want to be too careful on aggressively rating sticks lest they spend more on RMAs than they get from selling at higher ratings.

Solution
Up to 3200Mhz RAM you may have an extended memory profile such as XMP or D.O.C.P which can be selected within your Bios which is not hard to do.
This provides a safe set of Timings and voltage in accordance with JDEC standards.

You can determine if your RAM supports an extended profile by looking up the details in CPUz.

Extended profiles are for easy Overclocking where the SPD (Serial Presence detect) is written to an eprom on the RAM that Bios reads.

With OC RAM (RAM that exceeds JDEC standards) it usually requires you to manually program your Bios with Timings and voltage (SPD values) which are not guaranteed to work.

Reactions: raywestnit

raywestnit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2018
so i

That's a fairly aggressive overclock. RAM is aggressively binned, not designed to be run at specific clockspeeds. Basically, semiconductor fabrication doesn't involve truly identical chips, so like CPUs, RAM sticks are generally simply sold at the speeds the sticks pass the tests at. Ram advertising 2133 MHz will be the cheapest, lowest quality RAM available, the lowest grade of what is suitable to even be sold. You may be able to overclock it somewhat -- extensive testing is necessary -- simply because companies want to be too careful on aggressively rating sticks lest they spend more on RMAs than they get from selling at higher ratings.
So I guess I just have to buy better ram with better and faster frequencies?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
so i

So I guess I just have to buy better ram with better and faster frequencies?

Yes, especially considering you have a Ryzen build. Ryzen CPUs love faster RAM, in large part due to the so-called Infinity Fabric, and 3600 MHz is generally the sweet spot. 2666 in itself is quite slow RAM for a Ryzen CPU and you're giving away performance, especially in non-4K gaming (in some games, the difference can be 20% fps between 2133 and 3600).