[SOLVED] Oc for my i7-6700(non-k)

Nov 11, 2020
I want to know if I can oc my i7-6700(non-k) with an asrock z270m pro4, or does it take a special mobo? I went into my bios and couldn't bring the clocks up much higher, and I have seen people get a i7-6700(non-k) up to like 4.0 GHz.

Solution
A non K processor can not be overclocked via the multiplier.
With your Z motherboard, you may be able to squeeze out 1% via BCLK overclocking, but that is tricky. I would not try.
You can use 3600 speed ram with that motherboard, but that really does not gain you much.

Your motherboard would support a i7-6700K that could give you a good boost.
It is about $200 on ebay. 4.6 on all cores is likely.
As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-6700K
4.9 5%
4.8 21%
4.7 64%
4.6 96%
A non K processor can not be overclocked via the multiplier.
With your Z motherboard, you may be able to squeeze out 1% via BCLK overclocking, but that is tricky. I would not try.
You can use 3600 speed ram with that motherboard, but that really does not gain you much.

Your motherboard would support a i7-6700K that could give you a good boost.
It is about $200 on ebay. 4.6 on all cores is likely.
As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-6700K
4.9 5%
4.8 21%
4.7 64%
4.6 96%

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Im just trying to see if I could oc this cpu with my current setup because if not then im just going to buy a new mobo and cpu.
You can't - the non K is locked.
4.0ghz applies to a single core only.
turbo frequency (1 core)4,000 MHz (4 GHz, 4,000,000 kHz) +
turbo frequency (2 cores)3,900 MHz (3.9 GHz, 3,900,000 kHz) +
turbo frequency (3 cores)3,800 MHz (3.8 GHz, 3,800,000 kHz) +
turbo frequency (4 cores)3,700 MHz (3.7 GHz, 3,700,000 kHz) +
Source: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-6700 (all the way at the bottom of the page)

It's Skylake, so yes it can be base clock overclocked, if:

1. You have the right motherboard.
  2. You have one of the beta BIOS that supports that function. If you have a newer BIOS, you are generally locked out from rolling back to the "SKY OC" BIOS (there are workarounds if you are crafty enough).

Plenty of people, including myself, have OC'd locked Skylake SKUs. I think I have a locked overclocked Skylake i5, i3, and Celeron all in my signature. Finding one of the old working BIOSes that allow higher base clocks is the hard part since the database at overclocking.guide no longer exists.

It's Skylake, so yes it can be base clock overclocked, if:

1. You have the right motherboard.
  2. You have one of the beta BIOS that supports that function. If you have a newer BIOS, you are generally locked out from rolling back to the "SKY OC" BIOS (there are workarounds if you are crafty enough).
Plenty of people, including myself, have OC'd locked Skylake SKUs. I think I have a locked overclocked Skylake i5, i3, and Celeron all in my signature. Finding one of the old working BIOSes that allow higher base clocks is the hard part since the database at overclocking.guide no longer exists.

I never run into this issue with first generation i7, either 45nm or 32nm westmere and lynnfield. If multiplier is locked you can easily get to 200+ BLCK on decent motherboards with these.
What kind of stable BLCK numbers can you get with skylake ?

I never run into this issue with first generation i7, either 45nm or 32nm westmere and lynnfield. If multiplier is locked you can easily get to 200+ BLCK on decent motherboards with these.
What kind of stable BLCK numbers can you get with skylake ?

Correct. 1st gen base clock OC was no problem at all.

The problem began with Sandybridge, where base clock was fused to the PCI bus, which caused base clocks over about 104 to crash. This made it very hard to get any overclock except for paying for premium unlocked "K" SKUs.

With Skylake Intel quietly opened up the base clock again, but later BIOS updates again shut it down through microcodes so that you could not boot with more than a few MHz overclock, so only some early beta BIOSes were capable.

Correct. 1st gen base clock OC was no problem at all.

The problem began with Sandybridge, where base clock was fused to the PCI bus, which caused base clocks over about 104 to crash. This made it very hard to get any overclock except for paying for premium unlocked "K" SKUs.

With Skylake Intel quietly opened up the base clock again, but later BIOS updates again shut it down through microcodes so that you could not boot with more than a few MHz overclock, so only some early beta BIOSes were capable.

Hopefully they go back to the old ways for the new gen, would be nice to see 200+ blck for 2021 processors (if that is even possible with this architechture)

Are all skylake processors (including xeon) BLCK not tied to the PCIE bus? Sounds like overclocking paradise to me if you simply need certain motherboard and with bios downgrade your back in the game.

EDIT: im dumb, you have cpu-z valitations on your post, insane numbers with that vcore. Have been overclocking first gen processors with less than 1.45v vcore and didnt have any degration in 5 years. Before 2016 i used 1.4v but after that i been running 1.45v with i7-875k, x3440 , x3470 , i7-870 for 24/7 use.

Last edited:
Hopefully they go back to the old ways for the new gen, would be nice to see 200+ blck for 2021 processors (if that is even possible with this architechture)

Are all skylake processors (including xeon) BLCK not tied to the PCIE bus? Sounds like overclocking paradise to me if you simply need certain motherboard and with bios downgrade your back in the game.

EDIT: im dumb, you have cpu-z valitations on your post, insane numbers with that vcore, i have been overclocking first gen processors with less than 1.45v vcore and didnt have any degration in 5 years. Before 2016 i used 1.4v but after that i been running 1.45v with i7-875k, x3440 , x3470 , i7-870

Those are just CPU-Zs for setting records, generally not for actual usage :D

All of the "Lakes" are untied from the PCI bus, but artificially locked down through a microcode that affects the Intel Management Engine. They also tried very hard to lock you out from rolling back to old BIOS. It's annoying because you could be base clock overclocking the newer "Lakes" as well but without supporting microcodes you cannot. No BIOS hackers have figured out a mitigation. Some people just unsolder and flash a new ROM chip to get OC back on Skylake. It was a massive performance increase at time, but now it's hardly worth the effort unless you are a dedicated hobby overclocker because even the cheap Ryzens are cheaper and faster, and unlocked.

This is what im running for 24/7 right now, this is after delidding. I used to run this at 4.3ghz or 4.35ghz at 1.45-1.475v on the core but theres no point since 4.212ghz is stable at 1.415v.

From what ive seen its really hard to degrade these 45nm chips, even when intel set maxium limit to 1.40v vcore i dont think that is accrate, i been running 4 chips out of specs for 5 years or more and nothing happened. This is ofcourse with with good cooling, never went above 85c on the cores. I have been more careful with the VTT/IMC voltage since i heard over 1.35v will degrade the first gen 32nm westmere chips. I can get up to 2450mhz on the ram and 205 BLCK with just 1.300v VTT and thats my upper limit.

Reactions: damric

All of the "Lakes" are untied from the PCI bus, but artificially locked down through a microcode that affects the Intel Management Engine. They also tried very hard to lock you out from rolling back to old BIOS. It's annoying because you could be base clock overclocking the newer "Lakes" as well but without supporting microcodes you cannot. No BIOS hackers have figured out a mitigation. Some people just unsolder and flash a new ROM chip to get OC back on Skylake. It was a massive performance increase at time, but now it's hardly worth the effort unless you are a dedicated hobby overclocker because even the cheap Ryzens are cheaper and faster, and unlocked.

When i move on from x58 and lynnfield that might be the next step, i really dont want to upgrade to anything which cant be BLCK overclocked. Flashing new rom is not a problem i have ch341a programmer, im used to doing it when repairing laptops with corrupt bios / intel me region

From what i gathered only asrock motherboards support this "SKY OC" , is there list of motherboards where i can just downgrade bios to get this function, or do i need to reflash the bios chip manually (downgrade made imbossible) with every board which has newer bios installed?

From what i gathered only asrock motherboards support this "SKY OC" , is there list of motherboards where i can just downgrade bios to get this function, or do i need to reflash the bios chip manually (downgrade made imbossible) with every board which has newer bios installed?

Pretty sure all brands had boards capable. This site's staff has tried to squelch information about non-K Skylake OC for almost 5 years now so you won't find much info on THW. At one time, Pro-overclocker der8auer hosted all of the unlocked BIOSes on his own website, overclocking.guide, however that site was pulled down about 2 years ago. You could personally send him a message on HWBOT, his youtube channel, or one of the overclocking forums (not THW). He usually does reply. Or search this old thread if you want: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/141067-z170-bios-tools-facts-stats-and-list-of-mainboards/ Or you could look through the database of results at HWBOT. There's hundreds of Skylake non-K overclocked results, so you could try messaging one of the users to see if they still have the BIOS file you seek.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Pretty sure all brands had boards capable. This site's staff has tried to squelch information about non-K Skylake OC for almost 5 years now so you won't find much info on THW. At one time, Pro-overclocker der8auer hosted all of the unlocked BIOSes on his own website, overclocking.guide, however that site was pulled down about 2 years ago. You could personally send him a message on HWBOT, his youtube channel, or one of the overclocking forums (not THW). He usually does reply. Or search this old thread if you want: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/141067-z170-bios-tools-facts-stats-and-list-of-mainboards/ Or you could look through the database of results at HWBOT. There's hundreds of Skylake non-K overclocked results, so you could try messaging one of the users to see if they still have the BIOS file you seek.

Im actually looking for a cheap Z170 motherboard, i found more interesting things about this chipset, it ACTUALLY supports even 8th and 9th gen processors via bios and hardmod. You literally have to mod your bios with tool from win raid (for your exact processor stepping and microcode) and solder one wire. No need to even touch the cpu only motherboard.

Looking at the prices like 50-75$ or euro used with great vrm , support up to 4400mhz ddr4 and also i9-9900k. Literally third of the cost of a newer motherboard mid/high end motherboard)

Is there any possibility to BLCK overclock any of the kaby lake / coffee lake or newer prorcessors with "sky oc" bios ?

Im actually looking for a cheap Z170 motherboard, i found more interesting things about this chipset, it ACTUALLY supports even 8th and 9th gen processors via bios and hardmod. You literally have to mod your bios with tool from win raid (for your exact processor stepping and microcode) and solder one wire. No need to even touch the cpu only motherboard.

Looking at the prices like 50-75$ or euro used with great vrm , support up to 4400mhz ddr4 and also i9-9900k. Literally third of the cost of a newer motherboard mid/high end motherboard)

Is there any possibility to BLCK overclock any of the kaby lake / coffee lake or newer prorcessors with "sky oc" bios ?

Yes it will work with the mod, but no it won't overclock KL/CL AFAIK unless someone finally cracked that too. Careful the Coffee mod isn't guaranteed.

Yes it will work with the mod, but no it won't overclock KL/CL AFAIK unless someone finally cracked that too. Careful the Coffee mod isn't guaranteed.

Seems like it depends on the motherboard how easy the mod is for coffee lake. Also looks like flashing the custom bios needs spi programmer, no problemo
I will look deeply in some russian forums for coffee lake blck unlocked bios 🆒