'Occupy Flash' Aims to End the Tyranny of Adobe's Plug-In

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
so if an alternative comes out, what you've happily used for years becomes tyranny. Am I the only one who thinks that this word is overused?

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
This is kinda pointless since flash use has been declining for some time.. More and more are using html 5.

Call me when there's an Occupy Apple.....

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
lol. Is every protest/movement going to just slap "Occupy" at the front now? Unless they're gathering at Adobe headquarters, it just sounds stupid.

[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]so if an alternative comes out, what you've happily used for years becomes tyranny. Am I the only one who thinks that this word is overused?[/citation]

Not quite that. FLash was great years ago but after Adobe bought Macromedia, Flash slowly became pretty bad and even now its annoying.

And yes, HTML5 is better so why not push towards it instead of trying to hold onto something tat is no longer the best option?

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
That's just offensive to the Occupy movement. Internet software is one of the truest forms of capitalism because of the amount of information out there, so it actually works. There's no cronyism here so they shouldn't be using the name.

asshats.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Go to hell occupiers, if a nerd tells me to disable flash, I'll punch him in the nose.[/citation]

Easy there chief...

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
hmm what have I been missing ? Why suddenly (at least for me) everyone hates Flash player from Adobe.. would you mind telling me why ?.
Thank you.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Yet when you go on a site that uses HTML5 heavily (as in, they are tying to do Flash without using Flash), it runs extremely slow... on a desktop browser. To make it better, they can barely do the same thing as a Flash. The "Occupy" name is being used way to much right now.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
We should also have an occupy acrobat reader too.
Essentially it is the same thing: A program to standardize a product so that everyone has the same view.
That and we are all being forced to use that too.

/sarcasm

rohitbaran

Distinguished
To me, it just seems to be the handiwork of some punks trying to gain attention in the atmosphere of growing disinterest towards flash. The word tyranny is really cheesy.

G

I find it ironic it takes a closed platform (iphone) to knock down another closed platform (flash). Seems to me the criticizers must be using flash in safari.

Flash gave the internet a lot when the browsers didn't and in some ways still haven't come to a standard.

I am just waiting for occupy-gate to be used for my brain to implode from the hijacking of terms.

G

I love how this is twisting the truth: "Websites that rely on Flash present a completely inconsistent experience."

Completely false- the plugin renders flash elements exactly the same irrespective of the underlying browser. I've yet to find an exception that didn't somehow incorporate outside elements (HTML, Javascript). HTML5 and CSS on the other hand often require browser specific coding to ensure everything looks the same across the board.

The sites I go to on a hand held which require flash, look exactly the same as the ones on a desktop. The experience is usually only different because the developer didn't create the site with small touch interfaces in mind. If an HTML 5 site is developed the same way, it has the same problem.

However, if you view an HTML 5 site with a browser that's only partially compliant, you will not get the same look nor feel.

Adobe didn't force their product into the market. Developers simply used it because it was the best, and continues to be highly competitive in spite of what's popular (in this case, embracing HTML5- an inconsistent standard across browsers).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Flash won't be deactivated untill all the content on the web that people use is converted to an alternative, if people regularly play Flash games on Candystand they aren't about to remove the plug-in just because some group of cranks who have pointed out some of it's flaws.

The problem here is not Flash, or Adobe, the problem is websites that cotinue to use it.

There are dozens of relics of the dial-up era that have been consigned to the dustbin of protocol, format or plug-in history and if you still have their associated code installed on your machine you may struggle to find websites that still use them, but as Flash is still EVERYWHERE and is still at 95% of currnet plug-in usage, so you may as well ask people to stop drinking water right now because its replacement is coming soon.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Flash is a POS! Always has been.

It was (and probably still is) the Nr. 1 cause of web browser crashes.

Uninstalled it a couple of months back and haven't looked back. Firefox doesn't crash anymore and "plugin-containe" doesn't eat up 20% CPU when looking at a completely flash-free website. I was using the Linux version so that may explain the sh*tty performance I've been seeing. Maybe it's better on Windows, so it's why most people are fine with it or at least indifferent. Youtube WebM percentage? I doubt it's even 30%. There are some videos with tons of views and ratings that haven't been converted yet, let alone home-made videos of cats or whatever.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
What a bunch of kids. Flash has helped the web move forwards and HTML5 is still very immature. HTML5 still cannot do things like DRM and it's moving very slowly as everyone disagrees what should be in it.

Flash will be with us for a long time. So glad, that my PC, laptop and phone can do Flash. It gives me a great freedom of choice. Use Flash when the content is in flash and use HTML5 if the content is in in HTML5. And yes, the technologies aren't mutually exclusive.

ioa94

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
What would happen to places like Newgrounds? Armorgames.com? Weebls-stuff?

You want to phase out an entire corner of the internet? How silly.

Flash works just fine, not sure what people are whining about.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Doesn't make sense that they're using the word "Occupy" for this protest because this movement actually seems organized. Probably still won't accomplish anything and attract hippies and pot smokers alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS