[SOLVED] OC'd 4790K downclocks when gaming for no reason

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
So, last week this started happening when doing medium-heavy CPU intensive gaming sessions (ex. Mafia 3, Forza Horizon 4, etc)
Last weekend i switched cooler from a mid-end Raijintek Tower Cooler to a Cryorig R1 Universal (using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste as well), and before the switch i've already tried OC'ing my 4790K (used ASUS' AI Suite 3 to OC but then adjusted the values according to what was safer and more heat friendly) but i wasn't happy with the temps (4.6Ghz @ 1.228V was around 65-75ºC) when playing the same games i referred to above with no drops in performance, clock speed or anything for that matter.

This started happening because i removed the CPU from the socket (to clean the paste residues) and it reverted to the Mobo's stock values. The problem is that i have no clue what setting enabled me to play without clock speed drops (both idle and gaming). I've tried disabling EIST (Intel's SpeedStep), C-States, SVID Control, EPU Power Saving, Power VR Efficiency settings but still seems to drop clock speed when gaming.

I'm getting desperate as i've got no clue what is happening or why it's even doing this.

Other Specs:
  • ASUS B85M G-PLUS 3.1USB (not proper for OC, but it works better than you'd think)
  • 16GB HyperX Fury DDR3 @ 1600Mhz CL9
  • EVGA RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING 8GB
  • NOX Urano TX850W Bronze 80+ PSU

I appreciate the help in advance to everyone.

Solution
Well, i've reached a conclusion after a while of researching and having the CPU down to 4.5Ghz for 1 week and a half.
It's the VRM that's overheating.
I've placed an order for 2 little Raspberry Pi Heatsinks and some thermal grizzly thermal pads to go along with it in attempt to make it usable above 4.5Ghz again.
We'll see. But as it stands it looks to be the VRM that's overheating and causing the whole CPU to clock down to lower temps.

nightstalker_ns

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
someone correct me if i am wrong but taking out the cpu and installing it again is not supposed to reset bios settings. i am assuming you unplugged the pc before reinstalling the cpu which makes me think its all due to the motherboard battery since most of us dont unplug the pc unless we're doing hardware changes that would make you think its caused by replacing the cpu.

how are the temps after changing to the new cooler? cpu downclocks while idle is normal but while gaming i would say it is throttling.

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
someone correct me if i am wrong but taking out the cpu and installing it again is not supposed to reset bios settings. i am assuming you unplugged the pc before reinstalling the cpu which makes me think its all due to the motherboard battery since most of us dont unplug the pc unless we're doing hardware changes that would make you think its caused by replacing the cpu.

how are the temps after changing to the new cooler? cpu downclocks while idle is normal but while gaming i would say it is throttling.
If you take a look in the picture i linked above to the word "this", you'll see that it never throttles.
Also, it didn't reset BIOS settings, only the CPU's settings (which is to be expected since i basically re-seated the CPU.
When doing something inside the case i always unplug the PC lol, why would it be plugged in if i'm messing with cables and stuff?

nightstalker_ns

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
ive never experienced mobo reverting cpu settings due to reinstalling it. i just did a few days ago.

i did not notice the picture my bad.

my point was you do not unplug it everyday. but only when you're doing hardware changes and you only notice the battery issue when you do so.

anyway i would overclock using bios not AI suite, overclocking from bios changes values directly to motherboard. bios changes are constant while software is not.

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
ive never experienced mobo reverting cpu settings due to reinstalling it. i just did a few days ago.

i did not notice the picture my bad.

my point was you do not unplug it everyday. but only when you're doing hardware changes and you only notice the battery issue when you do so.

anyway i would overclock using bios not AI suite, overclocking from bios changes values directly to motherboard. bios changes are constant while software is not.
I referred above that i first used the AI Suite 3 software to try it out, and after that i changed the values in the BIOS to a safer, better OC. Also, OC'ing with AI Suite does save the values in the BIOS but i prefer BIOS OC over any software.
It didn't reset any BIOS values at all, only my OC (back to Auto frequency, because it wasn't saved in a profile).

RustyRagdoll

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2015
Well, i've reached a conclusion after a while of researching and having the CPU down to 4.5Ghz for 1 week and a half.
It's the VRM that's overheating.
I've placed an order for 2 little Raspberry Pi Heatsinks and some thermal grizzly thermal pads to go along with it in attempt to make it usable above 4.5Ghz again.
We'll see. But as it stands it looks to be the VRM that's overheating and causing the whole CPU to clock down to lower temps.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS