[SOLVED] OCing 4790K Is it okay to keep C states on for a stable OC?

Naveen117

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
I've overclocked on a 4690k in the past but I forgot what I did. My main question is whether or not I should be keeping C states and speed step enabled? I want the CPU to drop voltage on idle and only ramp up when gaming. So should I keep it off while I'm overclocking then when I reach a stable overclock turn them back on?

Solution
I typically don't mess with any power settings except I disable hibernation and sleep. Performance will keep things running faster most of the time. Balanced should work but again up to you if you want to keep sleep on or off.
It is absolutely OK to do. In fact its probably better as it will allow the CPU to downclock when it doesn't need all that performance. I only disable the super low C states as I don't use sleep or hibernate but leave the higher ones and Speedstep enabled and I always OC my CPUs.

While OCing you want to leave them on. If they are off and you reach a stable OC then turn them on you might get an unstable OC.

Naveen117

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
It is absolutely OK to do. In fact its probably better as it will allow the CPU to downclock when it doesn't need all that performance. I only disable the super low C states as I don't use sleep or hibernate but leave the higher ones and Speedstep enabled and I always OC my CPUs.

While OCing you want to leave them on. If they are off and you reach a stable OC then turn them on you might get an unstable OC.
Great thank you! And should I keep the Windows power options on "balanced" or "performance?"