OCing laptops??

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well i just ordered this pc for my sister which costs $1,599 canadian from Dell...

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7400 (4MB Cache/2.16GHz/667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Free Upgrade to 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

now i thought this was a pretty good computer for not playing games etc but i was wondering how this computer would oc???

if u think i should even try it and if so any tips??

jorbor36

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
dumb dumb

Ya, dell bios doesnt even give u an option to oc, at all

And dells are made to get rid of a certain amount of heat, so basically that means if u oc it, more heat, more problems with your computer. Right know my dell runs so hot, i wouldnt even consider oc'ing it.

Also, you bought this for your sister, and unless your sister is a hard core gamer, or video editor, then why even OC? that comp alone sounds very good

1 more thing, laptops have more trouble getting rid of heat then desktops, so even more of risk, dont even try ocing the graphics card

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
If you wanted a better laptop, why didn't you just buy a better one? It's not like a desktop where you can tinker with it until your hearts content. Laptops, you buy them, use them, and when they break buy a new one. You don't buy them thinking you can OC or upgrade them, and if you do, expect them to break and you go back to buying a new one.

randomizer

Champion
If you wanted a better laptop, why didn't you just buy a better one? It's not like a desktop where you can tinker with it until your hearts content. Laptops, you buy them, use them, and when they break buy a new one. You don't buy them thinking you can OC or upgrade them, and if you do, expect them to break and you go back to buying a new one.
You hit the nail right with that one.

Mate if you want to overclock your gpu then go for it, its your decision :? . But first I suggest you just look at your laptop first a think to yourself, "Wow my laptop is nice and slim and lightweight. Wait a sec, slim means no room for fans or air circulation, so where is all that heat going to go when I OC? Hmmm... Oh I got it! Out of an incredibly tiny vent on the side!"

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
dumb dumb

Ya, dell bios doesnt even give u an option to oc, at all

And dells are made to get rid of a certain amount of heat, so basically that means if u oc it, more heat, more problems with your computer. Right know my dell runs so hot, i wouldnt even consider oc'ing it.

Also, you bought this for your sister, and unless your sister is a hard core gamer, or video editor, then why even OC? that comp alone sounds very good

1 more thing, laptops have more trouble getting rid of heat then desktops, so even more of risk, dont even try ocing the graphics card

she doesnt play any games HAHAHAHAH lol... i just wanted to see how far i could push it but since the stupid dell bios doesnt allow ocing then damn it...

*and btw i thought about heat etc from the start and i was 80% sure that i couldnt oc because of that etc.. but thats why i asked and now i have my answer and i thank you guys for that :)

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
It's a bad idea to OC a laptop; here's why:

1) All the components are very close together, and the air circulation isn't that great. When you overclock components, they produce more heat. The last thing you need in a laptop is more heat. You'll probably end up frying some components and ruining the laptop.

2) If you are able to overclock it, it will get so hot that you might burn yourself, and probably lose your ability to have kids (if you get what I'm saying :lol: )

And, like others have said, the Dell BIOS will deny access to whatever overclocking features there are.

I'm hoping that you ordered the computer with a WinXP reinstallation CD, because that's the only way that you'll be able to have a clean, crap-free Windows install. If you didn't order the CD, try to call Dell and have them send it to you or just try to cancel the order. It's not the end of the world, but it really does suck to have crapware on your system, clogging up your hard drive, eating up your RAM, and sucking up your CPU cycles.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this: The computer will be OKAY for games; the X1400 will play any game out there. However, don't count on high resolutions or high details.