ISUCyclone33

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
This will be the first time that I will attempt to OC my computer, and I was just curious on what I should set everything to get the most out of my PC. This is what I have:

Processor - Intel i7 920 2.66 GHz
Power Supply - CORSAIR 750TX 750W
Memory - OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card - PNY VCQFX580-PCIE-PB Quadro FX580 512MB 128-bit
CPU Cooler - Rosewill RCX-SHDT120X1 120mm Direct Touch CPU Cooler
Hard Drive - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM, 32Mb Cache, SATA
Motherboard - Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
OS - Vista Business 64-bit
Tower - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower (has the 3 fans included)

Any advice would be appreciated, because I am new to all of the OC stuff

weuntouchable

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007

Start by setting the CPU VCore and VTT to 1.30, disable turbo mode and speedstep, increase the BClck to 166, decrease the multiplier to 18, set the RAM to 1600 speeds, default timings and default voltage, set the uncore to 2x the ram and use a stress test program like Intel Burn Test, OCCT, or Linpack that will stress your system and determine if your overclock is stable. Closley monitor the temps with realtemp or a similar utility. If it passes the stress testing and the temps are respectable, incrase the multiplier to 19 and stress test again. If all goes well increase the multiplier to 20 and stress test again. If it passes with a 166 x 20 settings and temps are reasonable increase the Bclck by 5 -10, lower the multiplier to 18, and repeat the stress tests increasing the multiplier as long as it continues to pass the stress tests and the temps are reasonable. Continue increasing the Bclck until you find the ceiling of your CPU. If at any point your system fails the stress test try increasing the CPU and VTT voltage by a small increment and repeating the test. Since you are cooling on air you probably don't want to push your voltages past 1.35.