adamb10

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hey all,

My CPU is overclocked to 2.8GHZ to boost the ram at it's stated speed. What I'd like to do is push the bar to 3GHZ. This possible with X2 5200s? If so, how?

Thanks!

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Well, you don't really know your max overclock until you try it. Each chip is made differently and not all chips overclock the same. That being said, you should keep playing around with bus, multiplier, and voltage. There's plenty of A64 overclocking guides out there, and some are even located on the forums. I suggest you look at those before messing around too much. It's quite hard to damage your processor if you keep things under 50c on full-out load.

The first thing I would do is see how high you can get the bus speed without sacrificing the 1:1 ratio.

adamb10

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Can you point me to a X2 guide? I searched google but couldnt find any for Socket AM2.

I would like to OC to 3ghz but obviously not damage the cpu. :)

pedja-aant

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Try to raise FSB and lower CPU multiplayer example: FSB = 270MHz, CPU multip. = 9, HT = 4 and lower DDR2 speed from 800 MHz to 533Mhz for example.

Try this and post R results.

kamran5461

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
hey man i am in the same boat as you...
i want to OC my 5200 and not sure how to approach it.
i have a question though. which gives you better results ?
keeping the multiplier high at 13 or raising the FSB while keeping the multiplier lower? and why?

p.s. i OCed my friends 5000+ from 2.6 to 2.8 stable running full load at around 50 deg C. so i know u can push the 5200 higher than that.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Usually higher fsb means more performance boost than raising cpu speed with multiplier.

So if your board can run 300 on the fsb (it probably can't) and you run 10 multiplier,a lot of the non-locked ratios will gain the 50% boost in speed. If you run 250fsb and 12 multiplier the other stuff (chipset) will only get a 25% boost while the processor runs the same.

Now I don't remember the max multiplier for the 5200, so exactly what to do I can't tell you. But try lowering HT and memory speeds and set multiplier to 8 or something. Then figure out how high your fsb can get. After that, figure out what multiplier you want to run. ie. if 268fsb is max, you'd want to run HT at 600 (stock 800) and cpu at 11 multiplier to get to the 3ghz - if your components are stable that is. But I'd suppose you're smart enough to raise multiplier 1 notch at a time once you've foudn the limit for fsb.

ps. run dual prime95 for at least 10 minutes every time you think you've found a stable speed. It can still be unstable even if it passes 10 minutes, so try 12 hours or so once you're done. (1 small, 1 blend)

pps. remember to :
disable cool'n'quet and fan controls if any (run 100%)
lock the pci and pcie speeds to default 33 & 100
underclock memory and cpu till fsb limit is found, then back 2mhz or so down before finding cpu limit. Disregard memory till last.
Avoid upping the vcore if possible - keeps the cpu cooler.

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I don't understand how to change the multiplier. I have the same cpu, 6400ddr2 ram and don't know how to change the multiplier. it is set at 13x right now and it stocks at 2.6 GHZ I am going to purchase a new mobo, since mine is a freebie throwaway from a combo at Frys and purchase a Tuniq Tower or Scythe Infinity.

How do I lower the:

Multiplier

RAM speeds ( I think I know this one)

Disable Cool & Quiet

I know this is stupid to ask, but I don't want to fcuk anything up!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It usually isn't hard to find where to do those things, but they depend on the montherboard. Each model can have different bios setups, so stuff can be located in one place or in another.
Basicly, if there's a chipset section memory might be there, or if there's a dram section it's there. If there's a cpu setup section multiplier and stuff will be there, and if not, it might be in chipset, or a special menu depending on motherboard - gigabyte calls it soft something and on my asrock it's cpu feature ... hard to tell for certain.
But multiplier can be messed with when you change it from auto to manual normally ...

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
OK - I've finished practicing on my old 3400+ and got it from 2.2Ghz to 2.42 Ghz

Now that I've figured it out kinda, I'm working on my 5200+

So far I'm at 2.710 Ghz and I'm running Prime 95 as I type this.

What can I expect with the 5200+ on air cooling? I'll be buying a Tuniq Tower or Scythe Infinity this month

Thanks guys!

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
You can expect as far as your chip will go at reasonable temperatures. Maybe 2.9Ghz at least. Get the Infinity, the Tuniq Tower isn't compatible with socket AM2.

engineer333

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

I was wondering what prime95 really does. i am running it for the first time and set it to run for one hour. all i understand is that it is factoring up to 2.69 and it is at 2.65 @12.77%. is this the ghz? i may need to read a little more about it, but any quick help would be appreciated. what is 1 small, 1 blend?

VulcanX

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
How does memtest compare to prime95 in the way it functions and performing their duties? or is memtest purely a memory testing utility while prime 95 tests the total stability or what?

grizz86

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
As long ur core temp dont exceed 60c then it can. Use this software to check ur core temp. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Also u dont define what cooler ur using and what type the amd proc (brisbane, windsor etc)
My x2 4400+ oc'ed @ 2.88ghz (25% overclock). Idle @ 25c, full load @ 46c.

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
The Prime95 torture test just runs a bunch of loops of FFT calculations (Fast Fourier Transforms) in loops with known results. If the calculation ever goes wrong (i.e. produces the wrong answer), your system is likely to be unstable in some way. Often, the program just flat out crashes - this is indicative of system instability, not the quality of the program. You want to be able to run the torture test for more than half an hour without errors before you can feel confident that given settings are okay. To ensure high stability, run the test for longer.